Fifteen years on…

@sishy7 (27380)
Australia
# 89 I almost forgot all about it until I heard the news this morning. Fifteen years later, survivors, family, and friends are remembering a tragedy known as the Bali Bombings. 200 innocent lives were lost including 88 Australians. The tragedy happened a day, a month, and a year after the worst terrorist attack of 9/11. 9/11 was on the 11th day of the 9th month in year 2001. And the Bali Bombings was on the 12th day of the 10th month in year 2002. It may not be remembered as worldwide as 9/11, but in Australia, just like in Bali where the Ground Zero was, the tragedy is remembered every year. Over a third of the victims were Australians so the attack has affected so many people in Australia. And fifteen years on, many made their way back to Kuta’s Ground Zero and gathered for a ceremony commemorating the atrocity.
@Mike197602 (13525)
• Worcester, England
I remember it very well. You're right it isn't as internationally remembered as much as 9/11...same as the 7/7 london bombings don't get remembered much outside the UK. I think 9/11 sticks in the memory because of the tv footage and also because of the scale of the attack. I genuinely don't understand the mentality of the terrorists as they are achieving absolutely nothing.
@sishy7 (27380)
The only thing they achieve is killing innocent people and destroying lives...
@Mike197602 (13525)
• Worcester, England
@sishy7 true, and whatever cause they have (I've no clue wtf they are thikning) they're harming it not helping it.
@sishy7 (27380)
@Mike197602 They are hurting the integrity of Islam.
Thank you for alerting us to this terrorist attack. This attack should always be commemorated.
@sishy7 (27380)
You're welcome. Dozens gather in designated memorial places throughout Australia each year to remember the attack. There are many survivors and families or friends of the victims in Australia even though the attack took place in another country fifteen years ago...
I vaguely remember it, but it's still so impartial for those left behind.
-I don´t think I remember. I remember the exact date of the attacts to the Twin Towers because in my country that is the terrible date of the coup that meant having a dictator for many years.
@sishy7 (27380)
9/11 is my sister's birthday... It's kinda sad how the past 16 years her day would coincide with the anniversary of a horrible attack.
@sishy7 two of my friends have their beats on 9/11. It always seems kind of odd to wish ...many happy returns on this day
@sishy7 (27380)
@responsiveme At least theirs are easier to remember now...
So many attacks =( Even today there was one in Texas. Attacks are back to back so sad!
@sishy7 (27380)
Yes, I heard about the one in Texas today... I read the pastor's daughter was one of the victim... She was only 14...
@sishy7 I know it's horrible =(
I do remember that. Though like you said it may not be remembered like 9/11, still it was tragic. What have people really learned from history - in this day and age, this stuff still goes on - all is does is hurt lives - and for what?!
@sishy7 (27380)
Yes, so sad... Like the LV shooter, what on earth was his purpose? Will it just come down to him being mentally sick?
@sishy7 I just don't know . . . but it's happening all too often. It scares me that although we do need to hear about these things, I just have to wonder what sick people will "get ideas" and do similar acts in the future .
@Srbageldog (5640)
I vaguely remember this. But to be honest so many terrorist attacks have happened since 9/11 that they have all started to become a blur.
@sishy7 (27380)
You are right... Perhaps this one stands out for many Australians because it hit very close to home...
@sishy7 Yes, I imagine it would stand out to those it hit closest to home to.
@Shellyann36 (8598)
It is so sad that our world has to deal with terror organizations and terror plots. Prayers for the victims and their families.
@sishy7 (27380)
So many lives of the survivors and families or friends of the victims are never the same again since the attack...
@sishy7 No they are not and it is so sad for them all.
It's been on my mind since my son and his bride were there as part of their honeymoon. They are returning later in the week, too.
@sishy7 (27380)
There has been no attacks since although one has to keep vigilant of possible dangers and difficulties when visiting other countries.
@kepweng (6407)
are you in indonesia when its happen??
@sishy7 (27380)
Yes, I was. But I wasn't in Bali, I was in Jakarta at the time...
@responsiveme (14458)
Your post does bring it back.Horrific .
@sishy7 (27380)
Yes, it was... So many casualties as the Ground Zero was a really popular bar in the center of tourist area...
@jobelbojel (5149)
The time flies soooo fast.
@sishy7 (27380)
Yes, it does... Do you remember the Bali bombings in 2002?
@YrNemo (8744)
15 yrs already. Time does fly. I had always thought/dreamed of going to Bali at least once in my life. That event stops me completely!
@sishy7 (27380)
It's a popular and very affordable tourist destination especially for Australians since it is not too far away for us...