No More Grandbabies for Me ~ Yet!

My son and his beautiful bride are leaving for their 19 day honeymoon to China and Indonesia on November 2. They received Hepatitis A, typhoid, malaria, flu, and other immunizations. Unfortunately, where they are traveling, they must not touch or pet any animal, including fox bats, monkeys, cats, or dogs. They were given a high grade mosquito repellent due to the risk of getting a mosquito bite resulting in the Zika virus. As soon as my son mentioned the Zika virus, I knew what he would tell me next. He and his wife were told to wait three months once they returned home before trying to become pregnant. I fully agree, but am still a little chagrined.
Oh I see Dianne, so because of the high risk of Zika, they will have to delay things for a while. I would be a bit worried and yes I can understand your feelings about it. There, there Dianne. Blessings on them as they travel.
Thanks for understanding, OT. They were planning on starting a family on their honeymoon, unbeknownst to me. That alone thrilled me, but I'm glad they will wait, Zika virus or not, I was thinking that scuba diving and running around so much couldn't be too good either.
@DianneN It will be glorious when the new grandchild does happen Dianne
@TiarasOceanView Oh, goodness! I can't wait!!!!!!!
The Zika virus is such a scary thing for people who are pregnant or want to become pregnant. I worried over my son's wife when they announced they were pregnant. They had been to Jamaica on a belated honeymoon just a month prior to the announcement. Later tests proved that she and the baby are okay.
Yes, the Zika virus is an epidemic. Last year, cases were reported in Florida. We mothers worry, and rightly so. I hope your DIL was tested and was fine!
@DianneN she was tested and everything looks good. I still worry though. I have worrying down to a science.
@ElusiveButterfly I'm the same, but it's in my blood. I'm a Jewish mother.
I don't understand the title. A delay of three months doesn't mean 'no more', does it?
Edited.
@DianneN Goody!
How sad that they can't pet dogs or cats.
They can't take the chance of a scratch or bite. I didn't even touch the stray cats in Turkey.
Well that does it, I stickin to the good ole USA @DianneN ........ as if I had a choice, right
@rebelann Trust me, you wouldn't have wanted to pet those adorable stray and homeless cats.
@garymarsh6 (14040)
Haha Naughty Dianne. Give the young couple a chance they have only just got wed! Good grief I would want some fun before having a family! They are young! Good luck to them when they do want to try!
They are the ones who want to start a family, Gary. I insist I have no say in that department.
@garymarsh6 (14040)
@DianneN It is so much better when they are not your own firstly you can dote on them then when you have had your fill you can give them back! LOL I bet they are mega excited about the honeymoon. What a wonderful choice of places to visit!
@garymarsh6 You are right about the grandbabies, Gary. They do take a lot out of us. lol. The kids are more excited about their honeymoon than they were about the wedding. Thank you so much!
@zarlamain (24525)
I completely agree! Indonesia is a very dangerous region when it comes to viruses and diseases. I'm glad that they are waiting at least three months before they try for a baby. They should make sure to have a full body checkup just in case when they come back from their honeymoon. I have never visited Indonesia before and I honestly don't want to. It's one of those countries I refuse to visit because of all the horror stories I have heard from friends and family. By the way, what a cute picture!
Thank you. They already had pre and will have post blood tests. After Hong Kong, they are going to Cambodia. My son is a fan of history and must see the sites there. Then they will go to Bali, which is paradise, but will visit jungles, temples, etc. Their other big stop is Wakatobi for scuba diving. They are staying in a private villa on the beach with their own pool, their own chef, and a private boat to take them out on dives. Not too shabby, and all first class. I know, because it's one of our wedding gifts to them. The other was a check, hefty enough to return there a few times.
@zarlamain (24525)
@DianneN Your welcome. I'm glad! It's a must. Wow, what a honeymoon! That is incredible! You and your husband were so generous with the wedding gifts! Very impressive!
@zarlamain Parents do what they do out of love and because we did the same for our other son. lol
• Pamplona, Spain
Zika virus is terrible and very glad that they are getting all the protection that they need. Three months is not such a long time really. Its well worth taking the precautions just in case.
They are pretty literate about that, and taking all the precautions they can. We all want a healthy little baby, even if we all have to wait longer for it.
• Pamplona, Spain
@DianneN It will happen do not worry about that. Another Ice Star of the future who knows? Here is to that.
@lovinangelsinstead21 My son told me that all his kids would be able to do is play stickball on their driveway. Lol! Thank you!
Three months isn't very long really. Hopefully it will go by in a heartbeat.
It really isn't, but I'd rather wait as long as necessary. Better safe than sorry.
Glad both are all set to go with the appropriate immunizations. Definitely wise to follow the precaution offered by those who know. Wishing both a wonderful honeymoon!!!
I'm grateful they questioned us about needing shots. I should have told them. My doctor suggested shots to my husband and me when he heard we were planning to visit third world countries. Others got sick. We were lucky.
@1hopefulman (28331)
I can appreciate your concern. Any particular reasons for choosing those places for their honeymoon?
Yes. We had been to Hong Kong and loved it. His wife wanted to stay in the hotel some TV housewives stayed in. My son and his wife are both scuba divers and snorklers. Finally, they both love history and visiting sites, temples, etc. They haven't been to Asia, but have been to Europe individually and together several times, and Mexico, the Caribbean, and Montreal! It's our gift to them, so we told them to choose somewhere not a hop, skip, and a jump away.
@1hopefulman (28331)
@DianneN Great! I hope all works out well for them and try to be patient waiting for more grandchildren.
@1hopefulman Thank you! I'll try.
You will love that grandbaby even more now that you will have a to wait! The love you get from that grandbaby and give i return will be even deeper after all the wait! My sister waited ten years into her marriage to have my nephew and tell you what, he is worth the wait he is so wonderful!
You are so right! I'm sure you love your nephew dearly!!!!
@DianneN just hearing him call me Aunt Jenny which is his special name for me. Only he calls me Jenny, and it melts my heart!
@Marty1 That is a heart melter! Grandma or Grammy does it for me. lol
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
Yes, that is so scary that so many precautions have to be taken, Dianne. I hope they enjoy their honeymoon. Hopefully those three months after will fly by.
It is scary. We had to get all kinds of shots and meds before we went to third world countries. Better safe than sorry. Thank you! They are so excited about the honeymoon, especially Hong Kong and Wakatobi. I'll be in Florida when their three months is up!
@bluesa (13421)
• Johannesburg, South Africa
@DianneN and so then you might receive some very good news while you are in Florida.
@bluesa From your lips to you know whose ears!!!!
Oh Dianne - don't be so impatient , there's plenty of time for them -lol.
But not for me!!!
@DianneN Yes there is!!
@jaboUK They are old enough and ready enough.
Couldn't they have chosen a safer place so that they could give you a grandchild in 9 months? (lol)
That's where they had their hearts set on going. They had no idea at the time they'd want to start a family so soon. I can wait the extra three months, but not one day more!! lol
@DianneN You better supervise the whole process
@allknowing Lol!!! No way!
@thelme55 (14552)
At least they are planning to be pregnant after that months of waiting. Well, you just have to be patience.
I'm so ecstatic. Patience isn't one of my virtues, but I will bide my time on pins and needles!!!
@thelme55 (14552)
@DianneN I know. I can understand
@thelme55 Thank you!
@katsmeow1213 (29047)
I think they'd want even longer than 3 months to just enjoy being a couple before bringing children into the mix. There's a part of me that wishes I had waited longer before having kids... then again, they're growing up fast and I'm still young, so I will have my time after they've grown up!
Nice to see you! They are ready for kids.
@DianneN Yeah.. been busy.. band and work and band and work, and soccer and plays. Soccer is over now, band is over this weekend, 2 plays coming up next month.. but then we'll have other things to keep us busy. Well, 3 months isn't too long to wait, I mean once you have the kid you have it forever so they can definitely wait 3 months..
With all they can't do and the immunizations they received, I hope they have a good honeymoon.
I'm sure they will. They are both looking forward to this dream come true.
@DianneN From what you posted about their honeymoon a while back, it is something to look forward to.
So, that's how it is. Well, three months will quickly pass by. Besides, they should just enjoy their honeymoon.
I'm sure that would help them enjoy their honeymoon. lol
@YrNemo (12621)
Never heard of Zika virus until today. I wonder about the rate of birth defect in those two countries...
Zika virus is very serious, especially for pregnant women and those who want to become pregnant.
@YrNemo (12621)
@FayeHazel (17912)
A pity about not being able to touch animals. Except for that Fox bat. You couldn't pay me to get close to that... scared of bats
They look like tiny foxes, but I wouldn't touch it either. Lots of stray animals are filled with ticks, fleas, or diseases that no one wants. They can pet their own cats when they return. lol