Welcome November

Personal Image by LadyDuck
Switzerland
I hope you had a great Halloween night. We had a simple dinner with spicy chicken wings and a "Bloody Mary". I thought it was an appropriate drink to serve on this unusual night. This is the photo of our Halloween table, as @peachpurple asked to see it. Now it's time to welcome November. The flower of this month is the chrysanthemum, the birthstone the topaz and the Zodiac signs are Scorpio or Sagittarius. On this 1st day of November: - catholics celebrate "All Saints Day" to honor all those who have no special feast day. - In 1776, Mission San Juan Capistrano was founded in California. - In 1993, the European Union came into existence as a result of the Maastricht Treaty. Have you something special to celebrate in November? Our American friends celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday November 23. Anything else in the other countries?
Your table looks very inviting, especially those appropriate drinks! lol We have two November birthdays and will celebrate them at Thanksgiving for two of our sisters-in-law. In addition, we will celebrate our older son's birthday, which is in early December. We will be in Florida by then. I'm sure our newly married son and his wife will regale us all with honeymoon tales, since he will return from his honeymoon days before Thanksgiving. Happy November!!!!
What a wonderful meeting with the tale of their honeymoon. My mother has her birthday in December. Of course I will go there to celebrate. Happy November to you too.
@LadyDuck Thank you! My husband's birthday is also in December. We celebrate it in Florida now. lol
@DianneN I know you are excited to go to Florida and to meet Orville.
I hadn't realised the EU had been in existence so long. Your table looks lovely.
More countries joined in the following years, but the start of the EU is already pretty old.
i really never knew when it had started i was only 13 years old at the time so i really was not keeping up on the news isnt that around the time the baseball players all went on strike.
@lnillerman I don't follow baseball at all so I don't know about the strike.
@topffer (30523)
• France
The bloody Mary was a good idea I did nothing special yesterday. We have 2 holidays this month in France, today for All Saints Day and on Nov 11th for the armistice of WW1.
I was sure to remember that November 11th is celebrated also in France. When I lived in Monte-Carlo, we had November 19th "Fête du Prince". I wonder if it's still the same day. The Bloody Mary was a bit too spicy, but good.
@topffer (30523)
• France
@LadyDuck Yes, Albert has decided that the national holiday in Monaco will be on November 19th in memory of his father.
@topffer I thought to remember he did not change the day.
Thanksgiving is the special event in November for us. Not a birthday loaded month, thank goodness.
As we do not celebrate Thanksgiving I cannot remember any important day in November. We do not have birthdays either.
we have only one november b day in my family.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
Beautiful table, there is a birthday and an wedding anniversary this month for me. Sadly it's my best friend in the world who passed away before she turned 21 and my parents both deceased. On the same day oddly enough.
I am very sorry, not happy birthday, but only good moments to remember.
@fishtiger58 (30689)
• Momence, Illinois
@LadyDuck Yes my best friend has been gone for over 30 years now I have many great memories of her. I have good memories of my parents as well, they raised me right and were very loving.
@fishtiger58 My mom birthday is in December, still Sagittarius.
I look forward to getting house work done today after being busy lately. I love your table set up. Your photo is sideways though.
I see my photo correctly and not sideways. I will try to make it more square.
@LadyDuck It is showing correctly on my phone now.
@shaggin I am glad it works now.
• Preston, England
an ordinary month for me though I get some paid work later this month
Some paid work is always welcome, money is something we need all the time.
i mostly certainly agree it always feels good to get paid and make some cash.
• Marion, Kansas
My children, my sister and my brother were all born in November.
You have many celebrations during this month. None in my family was born in November.
wow that is a lot of november babies in the family.
@LadyDuck i have only one family member who was born in this month and it was my aunt.
@Asylum (47133)
• Manchester, England
I have to agree that it is November. However, boamount of special days will ever make November welcome by me.
November is not my favorite month. Thinking twice, I would say it is the least favorite month of the year, dark, cloudy, cold and rainy.
@Asylum (47133)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck That would be a fair description of November.
@Asylum Today is depressing, there is even the little fog that you see in B series horror movies.
And we also have our Veterans day observance on November 11. Ft Bliss usually has a nice display that day to honor veterans. Now I want a bloody mary,
The 11th of November is Armistice Day in France. My Bloody Mary were a bit too spicy, but I loved it.
Well, there's double reasons to celebrate on November 11th @LadyDuck I'm sure there are many people in the US with French ancestry. What do you put in your bloody mary's?
@rebelann I make my Bloody Mary with tomato juice, a bit of lemon juice, salt and pepper, Tabasco, Worcestershire sauce and chilled Vodka.
We have Veteran's Day.Thank you much for the information there
You are right, November 11th, thanks for the reminder. We have nothing at all in November.
@LadyDuck no holiday?or such
@amadeo No, no holidays at all in Italy and Switzerland during November.
Yes, I do, I am the special person who has a birthday in November!
It's good to be the only one who celebrates the birthday during a specific month, you get more attention. I am the only one in February. I suppose we are both Water Signs.
@alberello75 (13501)
• Genova, Italy
Nothing special for me on Halloween night Only "jumpiness" following the television broadcast "Di Martedì" aired on LA7. Guest: Elsa Fornero (with this I said already it all!!). Those who retire (workers, employees, etc.) have their TFR taxed at 43%, parliamentarians instead exempted, etc. I would like to add a sad recurrence for this month. On November 2, "commemoration deceased". However I believe this, only in Italy. Have a good "eleventh" Month! Alessandro
Oh my goodness Alessandro, why do you listen to Elsa Fornero, this woman is more scary that the worst Halloween monster. The "commemoration of deceased" is called "All Souls Day" in the other country and it is celebrated by all the Catholics, not only Italians. Have a good month of November.
@alberello75 (13501)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck I agree with your judgement on Elsa Fornero. She's a nasty woman! But on Tuesday, on TV, only interesting broadcast is "Di Martedi" that lasts up to 1.00 am changing after that midnight, the name in "Già Mercoledì". I did not know that "All Souls Day", Is celebrated even outside Italy. A famous poem by the italian comedian Totò (Antonio De Curtis) "La livella" dedicated precisely to November 2, begins with these words: (In Italian / Napoletano) : Ogn'anno,il due novembre,c'é l'usanza per i defunti andare al Cimitero.Ognuno ll'adda fà chesta crianza; ognuno adda tené chistu penziero. Have you studied this "sad" poem? Regards Alessandro
@alberello75 Yes, I remember this sad poem. In the Philippines they celebrate the All Souls Day", they even go to picnic in the cemetery. We of course do not have this habit.
@ridingbet (37892)
the birthday of my brother yesterday was widely celebrated in the entire world, and there were no office and classes as well. as usual too, it was raining.
How is it that the birthday of your brother was celebrated by the entire world??? I think you made a typo, may be by the entire family. I suspect that the rest of the WORLD do not even know.
@ridingbet (37892)
@LadyDuck no, it is celebrated by the whole world because it is the All Saints' day, or maybe Halloween in other parts of the world. same with his son whose birthday is on May 1st, which is Labor day of Arbor day. that is his joke; he says there is no office or classes when it is his birthday.
@ridingbet I see, but the All Saints Day is not about birthdays, but about the St Patron that not all people have.
@YrNemo (8455)
I love that Halloween 'house', did you make it? Very artistic: elegant, stylish & simple! The only thing I could think of in Nov is All Saint Day, the day we go to church.
I bought the house, is made in iron, I liked it. I made the small basket that is on the table and I painted the glass behind the house window. All Saints was also a holiday here.
@YrNemo (8455)
@LadyDuck OMG, and I thought that house was in felt (I was dumb )! I was looking at it before, thinking, how did she make it stand up OK like that....
@YrNemo The house has a solid base to stand.
Tomorrow is my birthday so we will celebrate it and the 9th is my husband's birthday.
It's November 2nd here, a very Happy Birthday to you.
@LadyDuck Thank you*-*.
Wish you a very happy( though belated greetings) birthday and a great year ahead
@crossbones27 (15120)
• Redlands, California
The day before Veterans day is the Marine Corps Birthday. You also make good Bloody Mary's I can tell.
I am an excellent barman (barwoman??) Thanks for sharing the Marine Corps celebration. I remember the Veterans Day, we also celebrated in France.
• Redlands, California
@LadyDuck That's cool, you have lived in a lot of countries. Pretty cool Europe gets along so well or used to that people could do that. Now with all the terrorism and economic greed it seems Europe is starting to become like us. Every man and women for them self. Sad, they always say, do not let the bad people win, but kind of think they are with how all this hate that has been coming to life around the world.
@crossbones27 Some European countries are still not too bad, others have become more dangerous. Greece is in a deep economic crisis and Italy is not in a good shape.
@1hopefulman (20212)
I've never drank a Bloody Mary and got curious as to why it is so named. There are a number of stories as to how the name came about. However, this is what Wikipedia states: "the name in English simply arose from "a failure to pronounce the Slav syllables of a drink called Vladimir"[11] gains some credibility from the observation that the customer at Harry's Bar in Paris for whom Fernand Petiot prepared the drink in 1920 was Vladimir Smirnov, of the Smirnoff vodka family."
The most accredited reason of the name is the failure to pronounce "Vladimir", but due to the red color I think that it is very possible that the name was associated to Queen Mary I of England, best known as "Bloody Mary".
@1hopefulman (20212)
@LadyDuck Very possible!
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
We have All Saints Day and All Souls day here.
Today is All Saints, tomorrow is All Souls.
@JustBhem (22370)
• Davao, Philippines
Ooh thise look like some good bloody marys! Enjoy!
At least we had our personal celebration, even if Halloween is not celebrated here.