Not A Pleasant Weekend

Image from Pixabay
Switzerland
Yesterday evening, while I was preparing dinner, my niece called to tell me that Mom had to be rushed to the ER. I called my brother and he told me she had a stroke late in the morning, he found her unconscious in the house and she had to be hospitalized. Of course we jumped in the car and rushed to Italy to see her. She was sedated, I could only stay there a little time. My brother (who is a doctor) suggested me to go back home because there is nothing I can do now. Mom is 96, she had a long and happy life, I hope she can recover, I do not want to see her paralyzed or in a vegetative state. I am here waiting for news, If you do not see me around you know the reason.
@Asylum (48224)
• Manchester, England
Somehow it always seems harder to have a family member ill than being ill yourself.
You are so right Barry. I have not seen her very well, she does not speak and she does not open her eyes. She is not young, the very strange coincidence is that his younger brother has been hospitalized for the same problem last week.
@LadyDuck is her brother still in the hospital?
@hereandthere Yes, his brother is still in the hospital, he is already 94.
I am very sorry to hear this. It is a horrible time just waiting for news and not being able to do anything constructive. I'm so sorry. Wishing you and your mother all the best.
Thank you Judy, I wanted to stay there, but it seems I am more a problem than a help. I hope to have news in the next few hours.
@LadyDuck Let us know when you can.
@GardenGerty I am right back from Italy. I have spent many hours with her in the hospital, but she never opened her eyes and she seems not to hear voices. She does not look well at all.
@topffer (36061)
• Svalbard And Jan Mayen
I am sorry to read that. I had the two legs paralyzed after a stroke this year and I recovered completely, but I am not 96 years old. I hope she will have no sequel. Courage. Keep us informed.
Thank you, I hoe she can recover, but I do not wish her to continue to live if life should become vegetating in a bed. I am waiting for a call from my niece, my brother had to turn off the phone.
I am so very sorry to hear this about your beloved Mother Anna. I pray for her recovery. It is good your brother is a doctor...
Thank you very much. My brother is not optimist, mainly due to her age.
@LadyDuck Yes, understood Anna, tho miracles do indeed happen.
@TiarasOceanView She is still in red code, but the Italian hospital has no free beds, so she is "parked" in the ER. My brother said not to go there now, not until she has a bedroom.
@hereandthere (32766)
i'm glad your brother found her and he knows just what to do since he's a doctor. i'm also glad you're close to the border so you could drive over immediately. i'm sure he or your niece will update you immediately when needed.
My niece keeps me updated every hour. My brother had to turn off the smartphone in the hospital.
@LadyDuck i'm glad she's there as your go-between. by the way, are you ahead, behind or in the same time zone as your mother?
@hereandthere We are in the same time zone.
@shubhu3 (18136)
• New Delhi, India
I am sorry to hear this. Have faith and stay optimistic. She is recovering, will recover more.
Thank you, I cannot say that I am optimistic, I had a very bad feeling a few days ago.
@shubhu3 (18136)
• New Delhi, India
@LadyDuck I understand. It will be fine.
As you say she lived a long life. I would not want my mom in pain or in any way bed ridden. good luck.
Thank you very much, I wish she can recover and be fine, but I do not want to see her suffer.
So sorry to hear this.
Thank you, I know how much you love your Mom, so you can undersand.
@LadyDuck yes i do, shes my bestfriend. Wven when we fight.
So sorry Anna, I hope she recovers fully. It was a good thing that your brother found her. Thinking of you.
He always go to see her on Saturday and brings her to his apartment to have lunch together. I am glad he had the key of the house. He does not know when it happened exactly. I had talked to her Friday around 1 pm, he found her Saturday 10 am. He says she did not sleep in her bed, we suspect it happened Friday in the afternoon.
@LadyDuck So she could have been like that for quite a while. I hope she didn't know much about it. It's a worrying time for you.
@jaboUK For what my brother says, she was not conscious. I hope he is right, poor Mom waiting all the night to be helped.
So sorry to read this about your Mom. Best wishes and keep your hopes up.
I keep my hopes, but she is no more young, it's a depressing moment.
@LadyDuck I know how you feel. Been through with those moments with my Dad and Mom too.
@marlina No matter how old they are, you cannot accept that it's the end.
I am so sorry to hear this Anna. I hope she recovers from the stroke. I will keep her in my prayers. I hope you hear something soon.
I had news a few minutes ago, she is still in the ER, but she will be moved to a single room soon. I have been unable to see her today, I go to Italy tomorrow.
@LadyDuck glad you finally received some news. Hope things are improving for her.
@louievill (19663)
I could only wish the best outcome for all of you, I could understand your feeling not to see her a vegetable at her age but I still wish for a miracle.
We can never know, it's not yet the time to be pessimistic, we can always hope for a miracle.
@louievill (19663)
@Platespinner (17062)
I'm so sorry to hear that, Anna. Praying for the best!
There is not a lot we can do now, she is in the hands of the doctors. I hope she is not in pain.
@ridingbet (59427)
i hope she is fine now, but reading the last statement of your discussion, i am thinking otherwise. living for 96 years is more than enough for somebody to enjoy life at its fullest. nonetheless, i hope she will still recover.
I am waiting from news from my niece. I will go to Italy today to see her, as you say, she had a long and beautiful life, I do not want to see her in a bed like a vegetable.
@ridingbet (59427)
@LadyDuck won't she be staying in your house if ever she is stuporous?
@ridingbet She must stay in the hospital now, she cannot be moved. No, she cannot come here, because I live in another country and she has not the authorization to live in Switzerland. Not to mention that she has the medical assistance in Italy. At most she could be moved in my brother's apartment, but not now, she is in coma.
My prayers go out to you and your family, I hope she recovers without any kind of paralysis.
She has lived a long life, I do not ask to see her live longer if she had to stay immobilized in a bed.
That is understandable @LadyDuck I did not want that for my mom either.
@rebelann I have been to Italy yesterday to visit her in the hospital. She is in a comatose state, I hope that they will not insist to keep them alive attached to the machines, there is no reason to do this.
I am sorry to hear this about your mother. Hoping for the best for her that she will recover from this. Keeping you and her in my thoughts today.
Thank you very much, tomorrow I go to the hospital, I hope they will let me see her by tomorrow.
@LadyDuck I hope you will be able to see her too.
@much2say I have seen her, but she is not conscious. She keeps her eyes closed all the time and has no reactions to the voices and even to the touch. My brother now goes there.
Sorry to hear that news about your mom. Mine is my best friend, and I'd probably collapse if I got news about anything bad happening to her.
I knew something was wrong when I called and she did not reply to the phone. I am so stressed now.
@LadyDuck i was about to ask about that because i know you call her weekly and at the same time.
@hereandthere I called her every single day, not weekly, always around noon. If she was not at home because she went to my brother's house she called me to let me know.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
I’m sorry to hear that and I hope she will recover. Does she live with your brother?
My mother lived alone. My brother apartment is only 5 minutes drive from her. If she recovers, I am sure she cannot live alone anymore.
@Madshadi (8921)
• Brussels, Belgium
@LadyDuck yes I don’t think it’s a good idea that she lives alone.
@Madshadi From now on, if she survives, it would not be possible.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Sorry to hear it. I wish she gets recover soon.
I can only hope, for the moment she has not improved.
@sjvg1976 (18407)
Oh I am sorry to hear that..It's in God's hands now.
So true, she is in God's hands and I do not want the doctors to keep her alive artificially.