Can you be happy without money?

Everyone must have heard that phrase "Money doesn't bring happiness.", right? But how far can you be happy without it? How important is money in the happy moments of your life? Is it a major thing or not?
I have never had a lot of money. I love paycheck to paycheck but I am happy. I have a roof over my head, food to eat and a family that loves me.
I've had happy moments when I was homeless and eating out of garbage cans (yes, I've 'been there'). Money isn't required for happiness, but it is a lot easier to be happy when you have some.
@1hopefulman (20395)
It is hard to do anything without money and so we need money. Now, If I was living on a deserted island then money would be useless.
Exactly.
Money does away with a lot of worry, so if I had no money and was worried all the time, happiness would not come my way.
If I lived in a world where money was not needed for goods and services, yes I would be happy. But I need money to pay bills , buy food etc. The only time I could be happy while feeling hungry would be on those occasions when I fast willingly.
@1hopefulman (20395)
I'm with you on this!
I have had a lifetime of practice and would prefer experimenting if money can bring happiness.
@EddieHands (33086)
I need it to live. and eat. So not sure i be happy without it. But I also think it's one of the best things ever. I love money. But I rather have true love.. than just money.. Blessings !!
Anyone who said that money doesn't buy happiness doesn't know where to shop. I'd rather be rich and sad than broke and sad.
I live on $776 and that allows me a comfy roof so yeah. I am always broke. I do pretty good though.
@ebanreb (4812)
Yes we can be happy without money. Unless money is your priority.
@dgobucks226 (6818)
In my idealistic youth I believed the money isn't everything mantra. Now my thinking is it sure would be a lot easier life if I had more money. With the cost of living today money has become necessary commodity, As I discovered with age brings wisdom.
At one time I dreamed of having a lot of money, but now I know that enough for food and shelter is really all anyone needs.
@KrauseHome (33387)
There is a lot of Truth to this one, even though to survive, like for Food, etc $$ is important, but at the same time, I feel that a lot of times when someone starts making a lot more than others, they tend to think they're better than everyone else and even treat others worse, instead of remembering where they came from, and thinking about what if that was them
@pumpkinjam (5713)
I think other people might see this the way I do - I WANT to say that, yes, I can be happy without money. But the simple fact is that, while money does not buy happiness, it does buy a lot of things that are necessary to live. So, without money, life is very difficult. That doesn't mean we'd be unhappy, necessarily, but I do know that I'm having financial trouble at the moment and without that stress, I'd be happier.
@Shiva49 (9727)
We need money to meet our needs. When one works hard, we are also entitled to enjoy the fruits of our labor. Too much of money is a liability, attracts the wrong kind - siva
Enough to make ends meet anyway
@prashu228 (22652)
Too much of money doesn't bring happiness.. that's how it should be...