Best Countries Where To Live

A view of Switzerland, the Lake Lugano - Photo by LadyDuck
Switzerland
The Human Development Report Office has released the annual report about the 12 best countries where to live. For the 13th consecutive year Norway scores as number 1 as highest in standard of living. The number 2 is Australia, followed by Switzerland as number 3. At the 4th position there is Germany, followed by Denmark (5), Singapore (6) and The Netherlands 7. Canada is ranked as number 10, followed by the United States as number 11th. Hong Kong closes the list of best places where to live at the 12th place. Are you happy where you live or you would like to move to another country?
I will stay where I am, I was born and raised here. I do not have the funds to be picky anymore.
I am glad we moved. Should I change again I would go back to France, but never back to Italy.
@TiarasOceanView , Even if I was multi millionaire, I still would stay in Canada.
@marlina Canada has a good ranking, 10 our of 12 is pretty good. We considered Canada, but finally wanted to be closer to family.
I would not want to live anywhere but here in the USA. I love this country. I am a patriot. I come from a long line of patriots who fought for this country. I would never forsake those who fought for our freedom. I am proud to say, "I am an American." Thanks Dad, and all others who loved this country of ours.
That's such a nice picture.
I loved Italy but I would not go back there, it has changed too much. Politicians are too much corrupted, we all know that they are friends with Mafia. I am sorry but my love for Italy is not enough to live in a country where nothing works, dirty, with the problem to wait for months if you need a surgery. I am not patriot enough. I know that my father would understand, he also planned to buy a retirement home outside Italy... he did not reached retirement age.
@LadyDuck It is sad when a country disappoints. I think many feel that the country in which they live does not measure up to their standards.
• Portland, Connecticut
I am happy where I am but I have deep roots in Canada, England and Ireland and could happily live in any of them. I did think about buying an apartment in England but hubs put his foot down!! He has a hard time understanding the language lol
@Shiva49 (12061)
"The United States and Great Britain are two countries separated by a common language" siva
Ireland scored number 8, a beautiful country for sure, not a beautiful weather unfortunately. English and American are two very distinctive languages. I had a hard time the first time we came to visit the United States, little by little I got the habit.
@Shiva49 You are so right. I remember we were eating in New York with a British friend and a French friend. The French friend apologized for his not very good English and the British friends replied "do not worry NOBODY speaks English in this city".
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
If all those countries are better places to live then why does everyone keep coming to Britain?
Britain is best for benefit leechers so I understand. Hello friend, hope you are doing well xo
@Asylum They also keep coming to Italy and it's surely not the best place to live. If you see how many we stop at the custom every day here in Switzerland, we stop about 600 immigrants every day at our small Custom Station not far from home.
@Asylum (48282)
• Manchester, England
@LadyDuck That could be a case of heading to Italy as a starting point.
The standard of living in those countries may be high - but for me personally I would take other things into consideration - like so many months of winter. I would get cabin fever.
I love winter, I would never live in a hot country.
@sishy7 (27667)
@Kandae11 Winter is quite mild down here... Some places are even very close to having tropical climate...
@sishy7 I have read from other users that you never get very cold temperatures. We are lucky here in the south of Switzerland, it's not too bad.
I thought that Canada would come in way higher. I am extremely happy to live here in my native country and have no intention or desire to be somewhere else.
I have lived in France (well, Monte-Carlo) many years and I have been very happy there. We visited Canada because we were almost decided to move there, but it was so far from friends and family.
@PainsOnSlate (20084)
I'm happy to be living in Canada. It is a wonderful place.
I know, we have visited, it's a beautiful country.
I like living in the United States. I would not mind living in France though if i was not afraid of flying!
France is a beautiful country and I have loved to live there.
@LadyDuck that is what I feel about France and the French men are so attractive no men better looking and sounding than one from France
@Marty1 They surely know how to speak to women.
well at this point.Not much choice.If I was much younger.I will chose Tuscany,Italy my favorite place. Noticed that Italy did not make it?
Italy could have made it many years ago, now with that horrible Government they get it is impossible. The quality of life is no more very good. I also love Tuscany a lot, my favorite Italian region.
@LadyDuck that is too bad to hear no surprises there.
@amadeo It's a shame, there are so many beautiful places in Italy. It's the political class that is too much corrupted.
@sjvg1976 (18039)
I am absolutely happy in India. Only problem here in India is its population which still growing with the fast rate due to which we there are less opportunities for people over here. I would love to live in Australia .
I think that your biggest problem is over population. I would love to visit Australia, not to live there.
@Madshadi (8953)
• Brussels, Belgium
I wouldn’t move to any other country. I’m happy here. But it’s really interesting to know the best countries for living standards.
We knew about Norway, but it is too much cold.
@Madshadi (8953)
• Brussels, Belgium
@LadyDuck yes I don’t care for that. But the list isn’t surprising at all. Well, maybe Singapore a bit.
@Madshadi Singapore has a high standard of living, from many years.
@alberello75 (16508)
• Genova, Italy
No. I absolutely unhappy in Italy. Rating from 1 to 10? ZERO! A country that offers no future to young people (who often have to leave), and to retirees that do not reach the end of the month, with their "poor" pensions! Where there is no proportion, between what we earn, and what we have to spend! However you, dear Anna, who are Italian, I think you can confirm, what I'm admitting here. True?
As you see Alessandro, Italy did not score among the best countries and it's a shame, many years ago it was a beautiful place where to live, now no more.
@alberello75 (16508)
• Genova, Italy
@LadyDuck Yes. Italy was once a time a beautiful place. Unfortunately, one among all, the lira / euro exchange was a very bad thing managed in Italy. This created poverty, unemployment and with this, as result, increased la "malavita". I am not young anymore, but you however, know my condition. Practically I'm a person without future! I do not like this at all!
@alberello75 Italy had to stay independent, they had to keep the lira and they had to continue "their way". They joined the Euro and half of the Italians became poor in the lapse of a day.
@EddieHands (37859)
Well i want to live in China because I love Chinese food!
You can have Chinese food n most parts of the world.
@EddieHands (37859)
@LadyDuck that is true! But I want to try the traditional cat they cook! :)
@sishy7 (27667)
@topffer (33205)
• France
I am happy in France, I abandon you Norway, especially during winter. Coming to winter, I would have nothing against spending it in the Southern hemisphere. Australia is perhaps a bit too warm, but New-Zealand or Argentina would be alright for 3 months per year.
I was very happy in France, nothing to complain about your country. I would for sure choose New-Zealand to Argentina.
@topffer (33205)
• France
@LadyDuck The cost of life is way lower in Argentina, and they have good beef meat.
@sishy7 (27667)
@topffer Oh, if it's about beef, NZ has the best quality with majority of their beef is free-range, grass-fed beef supported by the country's extensive pastures and favorable climate.
@xFiacre (4255)
@ladyduck I love living in Ireland, and I intend moving to the West coast which is under-populated when I retire. However I also want to spent a few months each year in Sicily. We can dream.
Do you know that Ireland scored number 8? I have never visited your country but all my friends told me how beautiful it is.
@xFiacre (4255)
@LadyDuck I think it's lovely, very easy to live in but it always rains.
@xFiacre There is nothing we can do to change the weather. I do not like rain too much, but if I had to chose between rain and 30 degrees even in winter, I would go for rain.
@Wogiam (66)
Thank you for this photo, it is serene and calming. I have heard about Norway being one of the best countries to live in, good for them. I live in London (UK), i am happy here currently so i look forward to visiting other best countries as much as i can.
If it was not so much cold, Norway would have been a possible choice when we decided to move to another country.
@Dena91 (4178)
Would love to see some other countries after I see all of ours but wouldn't want to live any where else but here in the USA
I have left my native country many years ago. I love Italy, but it's such a political mess.
@Dena91 (4178)
@LadyDuck Sorry that you had to leave due to the political mess. I couldn't imagine having to make such a decision.
@Dena91 Italy is still a beautiful country, but nothing works now.
@kepweng (11165)
i think i need a lover to moved in beautiful peaceful wealty country
Try to find one online and then join the lover.
@kepweng (11165)
@LadyDuck yes i Do and Its wasted my LIFE Finding for 10 years
Even if the Philippines isn't that beautiful to live at because of some insurgency problems and calamities, I still would choose the Philippines to live in.
The user who commented just before you is not so happy to live in the Philippines. I would not go back to Italy even if it's a nice country.
@LadyDuck He doesn't like our present president. I like him.
@SIMPLYD There are 65,000 Filipinos who live in my native country in Italy, the biggest community in our city. I could not believe it.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
Oh! Great discussion and very interesting. I am from Nepal. And I like her in natural point of view. You know Nepal is the Himalayan country with lots of beauty. There is less development due to various internal conflicts and wars. Now, our country is heading to federal system and there are many chances of development. I don't like moving outside my country. I think there are many opportunities here. But I would like to visit some countries in days to come to explore the country. And Switzerland is always my first priority. I think you must be happy being in there. Would you like to visit Nepal? We will be happy to welcome you!
Another user commented from Nepal, I told him that I have seen photos taken by friends who visited, it's a beautiful country. I would love to visit one day. Yes, I am happy we moved here in Switzerland, a clean quiet and safe country.
• Kathmandu, Nepal
@LadyDuck Thank you very much! Where did you move from? And thank you for you said that you'll visit Nepal some day!
@creativeaashish I was born in Italy, we first moved to France with my husband when we were young. When we reached retirement age we came here to Switzerland.