Should Dihydrogen Monoxide be banned?
By Owl About!
December 13, 2006 11:56pm CST
Dihydrogen monoxide is an odourless, colourless chemical compound which is commonly found in many foods and beauty preparations. Despite the many dangers associated with it, one hardly ever sees health warnings where it is prevalent! DHMO, as it is known, can be exceedingly hazardous to life, as can be seen from this website: http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html The following is just a brief quote from it: "Each year, Dihydrogen Monoxide is a known causative component in many thousands of deaths and is a major contributor to millions upon millions of dollars in damage to property and the environment. Some of the known perils of Dihydrogen Monoxide are: * Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities. * Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage. * Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects. * DHMO is a major component of acid rain. * Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns. * Contributes to soil erosion. * Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals. * Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits. * Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes. * Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions. * Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks. * Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S. * Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect." Do you think that this dangerous substance should be banned?