MOLDY CHEESE: What do you do with it?

@AskAlly (3628)
Canada
January 22, 2007 2:01pm CST
If you have cheese with mold on it, do you simply cut off the mold and eat it .OR do you throw it out. I was told that if it is a hard cheese it does not matter if there is mold on it, but something soft like creamcheese should be thrown out
4 people like this
17 responses
@sedel1027 (17873)
• United States
22 Jan 07
On block cheese you can cut off the mold as long as it is not out of control. Cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc you should throw it away because it has probably gone bad.
2 people like this
@stephcjh (32388)
• United States
22 Jan 07
Hi. I have heard that mold won't hurt you but I just cannot seem to eat something that has had mold on it. Im not sure about creme cheese but I would think if you did cut the mold off of the hard cheese it may be ok, but like I said, I just don't think I could eat something that had already started to fully mold.
@crazynurse (7511)
• United States
26 Jan 07
I also cut the moldy section off of hard cheese and use the rest of the cheese. For soft cheeses such as cottage and cream cheese, I throw away the container at the first sign of mold. I found a great resource online that addresses this questions. According to the site, what one should do depends upon the color of the mold. It also states that one can prolong the life of the cheese by freezing it! Here is the link: http://sheknows.com/about/look/5184.htm
1 person likes this
@AskAlly (3628)
• Canada
26 Jan 07
thanks for the link!! It a good site to visit. The only thing that I do not like about freezing cheese is that the texture changes somewhat.
22 Jan 07
If i find a small bit of mold on hard block cheese - such as cheddar - then i cut a slice off with the mold on it and use the rest. If the cheese has a lot of mold on it then i would probably bin it - i have never let it get that bad though. If it was cottage cheese or a soft cheese then i would chuck it away. One thing i cannot stand is blue cheese - danish blue, blue stilton etc - it stinks, it tastes awfull and its moldy!!! yuk.
1 person likes this
@AskAlly (3628)
• Canada
22 Jan 07
I just cut it off and eat it.
@Evacuee (1149)
26 Jan 07
Sorry Ally but the cheese does not last long enough in this house for it to go mouldy! My wife only buys enough for the week and keeps it well wrapped in the fridge, However if it did go mouldy and was a piece of Cheddar or such like I think she would just cut it off. But there was a scientist that perfected penicillin from mouldy toast wasn't there? So mould , cannot be that bad.
• United States
26 Jan 07
I worked in the specialty cheese section of a supermarket. They would have you cut off the mold, weight it and wrap it for sale.
1 person likes this
@winky73 (1396)
• United States
23 Jan 07
Just cut it and eat the rest....as long as the mold has not spread to far....it's fine to do that.
1 person likes this
@loray143 (486)
• Philippines
23 Jan 07
if i have cheese with mold in it... i would definitely cut the mold... i dont care if its hard or not... off with the mold
1 person likes this
@missyd79 (3442)
• United States
23 Jan 07
i throw it out. just call me weird but i think it is gross.
1 person likes this
@wmg2006 (5386)
• United States
22 Jan 07
I do cut it off and eat it. I learned in biology that mold does not hurt you, but I can't quite eat the different colors of mold. I am sure I have eaten it without knowing it and thank goodness it does not hurt you. But I still eat the remainder of the cheese when it molds.
1 person likes this
@ukchriss (2106)
22 Jan 07
Cheese - There are hundreds of types of cheese produced all over the world.
Cheese is a solid food made from the milk of cows, goats, sheep, and other mammals.
I have always just cut the mold off cheese and eaten it...the cheese, not the mold. If you leave the original wrapper on the cheese, removing it just an inch at a time, and storing it in a closed plastic bag that was fresh when first used on the cheese, does reduce the chance of it going moldy. Cottage cheese, cream cheese, etc. I think you should throw it away because it has probably gone completely. My motto: When in doubt, toss it out.
@wiessied (646)
• United States
22 Jan 07
i just toss it ,i heard it dont hurt just to cut it off ,but not me i toss it.
1 person likes this
@blueskies (1186)
• United States
22 Jan 07
I am highly allergic to mold, so I throw away anything that has even a speck of mold on it. I also can't eat moly cheeses like blue cheese. The roots of mold penetrate far beyond the visible parts. It's nearly impossible to remove mold from a piece of food completely, according to my allergist.
22 Jan 07
theres no way i cud eat cheese if it had mold on it...not even if i cut the mold off...it wud go straight in the bin if it was me...even if there was nothin wrong with it and it wudnt hurt 2 do it, i wud heave if i ate it!! lol
@wolfie34 (26866)
• United Kingdom
11 Mar 07
I am afraid that I am wasteful and very fussy when it comes to food, I only have to see a small spot of mould on my cheese, bread or anything and out it goes! Even when I see mould on jam, which you sometimes get, the whole pot of jam gets thrown away. Sounds terrible I know but once I see the mould that's it, I won't touch it.
@Muslimah (811)
• United States
22 Jan 07
yeh i would cut the mold off and eat the rest... dont waste food.
@snowflake5 (1580)
• United States
22 Jan 07
On hard cheeses I cut the mouldy bit off and throw it out, and keep the rest. On soft cheeses I throw the whole thing out. Of course the mould problem doesn't arise if you make sure you eat stuff in good time. The problem is that we all buy too much food and then it starts going mouldly in the fridge.