Starbucks' used coffee grounds...I get them for free for composting!

@kuirqs (512)
Philippines
June 7, 2007 2:06pm CST
I've been able to get used coffee grounds from our local Starbucks and I'm wondering if anyone here has had the chance to do so, too? I think it's pretty cool of the coffee shop to help reduce waste. You can get them for free, bagged and and with a bit of info on the sticker. If you are like me, who's pretty excited about composting, I thought you'd want to know this...the coffee grounds are pretty good in helping the compost heat up. Visit you local Starbucks, and see for yourself...
3 people like this
6 responses
@crazynurse (7482)
• United States
7 Jun 07
How wonderful that Starbucks is helping you out that way! It also helps the environment by reducing landfill waste. I had to sadly admit that I have never started a compost pile. I know that I should start one. I am so worried about the rodents that might stop by. We live near a large, open, field that is loaded with field mice. WE also have possums galore and on some nights deer and coyote come down out of the mountains. What does one do to keep their compost pile insect and rodent free?
2 people like this
@kuirqs (512)
• Philippines
7 Jun 07
To tell you the truth, I only have a small composting area. So what I do is I use small compost containers...I cut off 2-liter soda bottles (I slit it with a some holes in the bottom) about 1/3 from the top and I stack up the compost materials, then put the top back on...it's a bit of a squeeze though... I figure, small containers, greater surface area for the bacteria to breed in. You could leave the containers alone until you need them in about two or three weeks. I hope I was able to give you some tips! Good luck!
@Signal20 (2281)
• United States
7 Jun 07
That's great they're giving those to you. Actually I'm kinda surprised, I used to work at a place where there was a Starbucks inside. Every night they'd gather up all the pastries and other foods, and one of the guys that worked there was taking the food and donating it to a shelter downtown. He ended up almost getting fired over doing that, they wanted all the food thrown out....That really amazed me, kinda lost a bit of respect for them over that.
@kuirqs (512)
• Philippines
7 Jun 07
I guess they are able to give away the used coffee grounds because they are considered as waste material and really not edible anymore. I think the reason behind the policy of not giving away leftover food is because they might get sued if the food given away is spoiled and eventually cause any discomfort to anyone. The management should have explained this to the employee.
• United States
7 Jun 07
I used to work for Starbucks. It's actually called the "Grounds for your Garden" program, and most, if not all Starbucks, should be doing it. We used to do it all the time, it was cool cause a lot of people would come and get them for their gardens. If your local Starbucks doesn't have them out, all you have to do is ask the barista working and they should be able to help you out regarding the coffee grounds.
@kuirqs (512)
• Philippines
7 Jun 07
I think it's pretty cool, too. I think they even have a web link to it explaining that the acidity of the coffee is removed during brewing and all that and other composting tips. One time the Starbucks outlet I visited ran out of the bags but the barista willingly obliged and gave me the used grounds straight from the machine. Really cool.
• India
18 Dec 07
I usually drink green tea in the morning. When I am out,however, I drink coffee at restaurants and coffee shops when green tea is not available and I am at Tim Hortons whose coffee is to die for. Coffee is too hard on the body. I only drink green tea. I don't drink it as often as I would like however I could drink it more often if I made the effort to. Milk starts my day with breakfast. Then my cup of soy milk.
@writersedge (22563)
• United States
3 Mar 08
Wow! I wonder if our Starbucks up here would do that?! That's a wonderful idea and thanks!
20 Jul 11
hi yes i am a gardner and am always looking for natural ways to controll pests in the garden and used coffee grounds just do that for me and futher more they are free and helping the enviorment