Listerine not just a mouthwash!

@raydene (9871)
United States
March 20, 2008 12:24am CST
A friend just sent this email to me. I will try it! Will you? xoxoxoxoxoxxo 'I was at a deck party awhile back, and the bugs were having a ball biting everyone. A man at the party sprayed the lawn and deck floor with Listerine, and the little demons disappeared. The next year I filled a 4-ounce spray bottle and used it around my seat whenever I saw mosquitoes, and voila! That worked as well. It worked at a picnic where we sprayed the area around the food table, the children's swing area, and the standing water nearby. ------------------ OUR FRIEND'S COMMENTS: I tried this on my deck and around all of my doors. It works - in fact, it killed them instantly. I bought my bottle from Target and it cost me $1.89. It really doesn't take much, so it's not as expensive as the can of spray you buy that doesn't last 30 minutes. So, try this, please. It will last a couple of Days. Don't spray directly on a wood door, but spray around the frame. Spray around the window frames and even inside the dog house. During the summer, I don't leave home without it.....Pass it on. '
18 people like this
54 responses
@chileman (967)
• Australia
21 Mar 08
Wow, thanks for the advice, it's amazing some of the stuff you find out from others. We had this spray from Avon called skin so soft, my wife used it after shows to moisten her skin, well we went out at night and she never was bitten by mozzies, so we worked out it was the spray, now I use it and sure enough, don't get bitten anymore!
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
I've heard about that too but I haven't tried it.
@youless (112047)
• Guangzhou, China
21 Mar 08
That's a very useful usage for Listerine. I hate mosquitoes so much. I will try it and see how it works for me. Thanks for your information.
3 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Yes, I think I will try it too.
1 person likes this
@mari61960 (4893)
• United States
20 Mar 08
Wow that sounds great. I am definately going to try it out. I wonder if it works on fleas.... I used to rinse my hair with it as a teen. My hair would be shiny and squeaky clean. I may ask the vet about trying it on the dogs and cats. I'll let you know...Thanks & Blessed Be.
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
You should try lemon juice on your dogs, I don't think it's safe for cats though.
@Debs_place (10523)
• United States
21 Mar 08
My father has a foot fungus that he took medication to treat it for years. He started soaking it in mouthwash (not sure what kind) and it cleared up in 3 months. The doctor could not believe it.
3 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Home remedies often work better than expensive and poisonous sprays
@BarBaraPrz (45129)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
20 Mar 08
A friend passed this "information" on to me last week, and I'll tell you what I told him: It's NOT true! http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/dishsoap.asp
@BarBaraPrz (45129)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
21 Mar 08
And still people believe it even after being told otherwise! Witness the following comments...
1 person likes this
@leeesa (884)
• United States
20 Mar 08
It still amazes me that people fall for this nonsense! Every time I get one of these pesky emails, I immediatly do a Snopes search and send them the link. It works, because several of them have stopped emailing me a bunch of crap!
2 people like this
@tessah (6617)
• United States
21 Mar 08
being its springtime and the skeeters will be running rampant again soon, im very glad to have this tip and will most definitely try it. thank you! last year id heard about putting fabric softener drier sheets in yer pocket, it worked somewhat.. this sounds better =o)
3 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Those dryer sheets are toxic especially to pets so I'd never use them but this shouldn't be a problem, I doubt any of my pets would get near the stuff.
@marciascott (25529)
• United States
22 Mar 08
Well Raydene you learn something new everyday. One of the members here told me that they use Listerine to freshen up toilet, I have tried it and it works good. Thanks I half to remember that. for mosquitoes. that is good to know! (",)
2 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
I never would have thought of using it to do that, thanks for sharing.
@Thoroughrob (11742)
• United States
22 Mar 08
Thanks for the tip, we are always trying to get rid of those pests when we are camping. I will try it.
2 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Oh, I'll bet it can be ruthless while out camping.
@winterose (39887)
• Canada
20 Mar 08
very good information thank you so very much, I am going to see if it works on fleas too.
2 people like this
@winterose (39887)
• Canada
20 Mar 08
absolutely wonderful
1 person likes this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
soapy water works on fleas.
• United States
21 Mar 08
Hi Raydene, This is a great tip! I usually throw Bounce dryer sheets all over the yard to keep the bugs away. Listerine sounds alot easier and no clean up! Love it! Thanks for the tip:)
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Those dryer sheets are toxic to animals like dogs or cats.
@worldwise1 (14886)
• United States
21 Mar 08
Nice tip, raydene! I've known for a long time that Listerine is great for getting rid of dandruff, and now I can add another practical use for it.
2 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Oh wow, I never would have thought to use it for that.
@KATRINKA (1624)
• United States
23 Mar 08
I've never heard of using Listerine for as a bug repellent, but isn't that how Avon's Skin So Soft was discovered to have an unintended but effective use? I'll give it a try. Thanks!
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Yes, you're right about that.
@BYOLA2871 (4371)
• South Africa
21 Mar 08
well, i guess one is not harmed by trying out some of these ideas,those bugs can be a big pain in theneck,they show up where they are not invited.Lets just hope it works like it worked for your friend.
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
I would bet it will.
• United States
25 Mar 08
Wow thanks for passing this on. My girls get lots of bites in the summer time so we will definately try this!
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
I know I'm going to try it as soon as I get a bottle of it.
@jbl1975 (374)
• United States
21 Mar 08
Would this work with those southwest cockroaches I have in Nevada? Also, is it the original disgusting tasting Listerine you're talking about, because there would be a new and only reason to buy THAT flavor.
2 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
I hadn't thought about that aspect.
@plumwish07 (4057)
• Indonesia
21 Mar 08
good tips to share in here since i just use listerine only for mouthwash. is it safe enough to be mosquito spray repellent? does it need to mix with water to use it? if it needs to mix with water how is the composition ??
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Those are good questions.
@Shaun72 (15959)
• Palatka, Florida
21 Mar 08
I am going to try this myself. I have seen roaches around my house and I hate them. I keep a clean house and everything but the buggers still come in here roaches and spiders.
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
They both follow the food so maybe something they wanted to eat got in first.
@Grandmaof2 (7579)
• Canada
21 Mar 08
WOW another home remedy I truely love this things. I will be one of the first to try this because when I get mosquitoe bites I welt up like you can't imagine. Other people get bites too of course but you'd have to see what I look like the mosquitoes are just covered on me. They love me. Someone told me one time when we were camping to pin a bounce laundry sheet to my top. I suppose it didn't hurt anything but as to how much good it did???? Others thought it helped a lot. I will for sure try this. Listerine isn't all that expensive and if it works it's worth a fortune to me. Thank You my dear friend.
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Those dryer sheets are toxic so i personally wouldn't use one.
@Pose123 (21635)
• Canada
21 Mar 08
Hi raydene, Thanks for this, I've never heard of it before but I'm willing to give it a try. Blessings.
2 people like this
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Same here, I never would have thought to use it in this way.
@MAMABLAZE (242)
• United States
21 Mar 08
That is a million dollar idea! Now are we talking about the original flavor or the mint flavor. I would imagine the original but does it matter? We go thru the spray for mosquitos so fast and I can't keep up with it. Especially when we camp, they are practically sucking you dry! Listerine has been around for so long, I think when they first started making it the use was for an antiseptic among other things. Thanks for the heads up!! Maybe you could let us know which flavor works best. I will save a ton of money on bug repellent. I owe you one ....Mamablaze!!
@rebelann (110603)
• El Paso, Texas
21 Apr 20
Now I am wondering which one to buy, there are so many flavors.