My rugs stuck to the floor.

@jillhill (37354)
United States
August 22, 2008 4:51pm CST
I just got done mopping my kitchen and bathroom floor. Before I started though I went to pull up my rugs and put them in the washer. One of the rugs was literally stuck to my floor! And half the backing stayed where it had been before I pulled it up! These are not inexpensive rugs....but I bought them at Target. I can't figure out why the backing stuck to the floor! Has this ever happened to you?
7 people like this
12 responses
@onlydia (2808)
• United States
23 Aug 08
no this has never happened to me. could be the backing got wet. I'm not sure. I have them old braided rugs. So that don't happen. My son used to slide on them how ever. Look mom. See what is can do. As he hit the frig. lol.
2 people like this
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
LOL
3 people like this
@schulzie (4061)
• United States
23 Aug 08
I can just imagine that - it was kind of a magical flying carpet ride mom! Fun until he got hurt! Did he slide on it anymore after he slammed into the refrigerator?
@onlydia (2808)
• United States
23 Aug 08
Yes not to brite them boy's. Just moved to living room. Just shake the head. lol.
2 people like this
@ellie333 (21016)
22 Aug 08
Hi Jill, No this hasn't happened to me because I don't have rugs on the kitchen floor I guess. If these were good quality rugs though I really can't understand why they would do this unless some superglue was spilt before you laid them down Ellie :D
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
Nope no super glue..it's kinda of a mess though. I had to scrap the rubber backing off the floor.....
2 people like this
@gabs8513 (48686)
• United Kingdom
23 Aug 08
No it hasn't but it sounds like someone spilt something and did not clean it up and it got under the rug I hope that the rug is not totally ruined and that you managed to get the backing of the Floor to
1 person likes this
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
I still have alittle on the floor but will soak it off today....
2 people like this
@leenie50 (3992)
• United States
23 Aug 08
Hey Jill, I can't say that has happened except when the rug is old and it gets wet and dries.If I were you, I'd take them back. Only heat should have an effect like that. Good luck. leenie
1 person likes this
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
THanks leenie!
1 person likes this
@Ritz100 (1169)
• Yecla, Spain
22 Aug 08
It usually happens if the backing gets wet whilst on the floor then dries out, it usually needs something standing on it though, could have been a person. Ive had this before and with good rugs too, the backing thicker on those so takes longer to dry out. How long have you had them, can you take them back and complain?
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
Last time I washed them they might have been damp yet when I put them down...do you think that was enough to do it? One I just set my shoes on and no one even walks on it!
2 people like this
@Ritz100 (1169)
• Yecla, Spain
23 Aug 08
Yup, slightly damp would do it. I remember an entire foam backed carpet leaving its backing behind in areas where only water had been spilt - we were replacing the carpet so it didnt matter, but yes Ive seen it happen.
@mands61123 (2098)
23 Aug 08
no hun it hasn't i don't really have rugs though has it been near a heat source? maybe the backing has got hot and moulded to the floor!
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
I think they might have been damp yet when I laid then down after the last washing. And maybe the are older then I think!
2 people like this
@carolbee (16230)
• United States
24 Aug 08
I use steel wool on my floors if something won't come off by simply using my fingernails. It won't hurt the floor. Funny you mention this as this just happened to our daughter. My son-in-law was able to get new rugs from the company and they also paid for a new kitchen floor. He is amazing when it comes to the gift of gab.
@carolbee (16230)
• United States
27 Aug 08
If the rugs messed up your floor, you might try calling the manufacturer and complain. I haven't had the chance to talk to my son-in-law about how he handled it but it was a good outcome. Thanks for giving me the best response.
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
24 Aug 08
The one by my back door I showed my daughter in law this morning and she just about had a fit! He must be amazing...I wonder how this happened? I think they were damp last time I washed them and I put them down too soon....but my gosh!
@PearlGrace (3171)
• United States
23 Aug 08
I've not heard of this. I assume the rugs have that rubber backing that is commonly found on the back of rugs. I wonder if, when the rugs were placed down on the floor before, the floor could have been wet or damp. Thus, could that have caused the backing to stick to the floor as the floor dried. Anyhoo, I've not had this happen. I hope it all came up in one piece so you didn't have to get down and scrape or scrub that backing up. Bummer.
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
The last time I washed them I think I laid them down while they were still damp. They are very plush....and yes...I had to scrap and scrub and there is still some stuck on the floor. And yes...they are going in the garbage.
2 people like this
@4aps777 (1528)
• United States
22 Aug 08
was anything spilled on them that was sticky and dried causing them to stick to the floor
1 person likes this
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
23 Aug 08
ONe of them was the rug I set my shoes on and no one even walks on it! ?
2 people like this
• India
23 Aug 08
Do u use Air conditioner. Due to dampness moisture it stuck to the floor if not of good quality these smells also. I think you devote more time to house holding.
1 person likes this
23 Aug 08
this is good....
1 person likes this
@Jenaisle (14078)
• Philippines
24 Aug 08
It has never happened to me, because I'm lazy (lol). This is just a guess, perhaps the underside was wet and when it dried up, it stuck. These things happen, especially when you're in a hurry.
@jillhill (37354)
• United States
24 Aug 08
Maybe they do!