Government Cheese Program (Do you remember when?)

Government Cheese - The best cheese in the whole world
@Chevee (5905)
United States
September 30, 2008 10:57am CST
Does anyone here remember that cheese that the government used to give out? If not here in the south they used to give out cheese to the elderly and people on welfare, you would have to stand in line to get this cheese, it would come in a lage loaf, wrapped and in a box I had an elderly aunt that got the cheese and she didn't eat it she would share it with members of the family. That was the best cheese I have ever had. I sure hate that they discontinued that cheese program. Government cheese, or "Pasteurized Process American Cheese for Use in Domestic Programs" is processed cheese that was provided to welfare and food stamp recipients in the United States during the 1980s. (The style of cheese predated the era, having been used in military kitchens since the Second World War.) It was commonly associated with Reaganomics[citation needed
4 people like this
18 responses
@palonghorn (5479)
• United States
30 Sep 08
I remember that cheese, my ex-husband's grandmother was on that program, she also got peanut butter in a can, and it was real peanut butter, it was so good. I always liked that cheese too, it was kinda like velvetta. She lived alone and couldn't consume as much as she received and would share it with her family. She also got real butter. And yes that was in the South.
2 people like this
1 Oct 08
I lived in Kentucky during my childhood. My aunt, as well as others in the area, received the cheese. Yes, it was gooooood cheese. My dad did electrical work and was often paid in the cheese. I think that it was a no-no but it went on all the time. I was told that the cheese and other items such as rice, beans, and peanut butter were surplus items and this was a good way to get rid of the items. I wish we could get the cheese today. mizlois
1 person likes this
• United States
1 Oct 08
It made the best grill cheese sandwiches ever! My husband and I were just talking about this the other day. O, the good ole days,...................................
10 Jan 13
here is how to get it http://www.squaremeals.org CSFP
@ANTIQUELADY (36440)
• United States
30 Sep 08
i very well remember it. it was good. my grandmother use to get it.
2 people like this
@gwoman2 (710)
• United States
30 Sep 08
Hi Chevee, oh my goodness, that was the best cheese ever...my family was not on any assistance, they both worked their butts off but for some reason there was a time where everyone was eligible to receive this cheese because of the surplus. It was not sliced but a long big block and it was nothing like the sliced cheese you buy normally...I'm not sure why but I do remember it vividly and my mouth waters just thinking of it...I am a cheese freak...just love me some cheese...many African American people I know say that cheese "stops you up", it never stopped me up!! LOL Still doesn't! Thanks for the memory...that is one of my fondest...and I don't have many :-( ~G~
1 person likes this
30 Sep 08
Hi Chevee, I have never heard of cheese bein given away but they used to give butter to the elderly and people who are on benefits, but I don't think they do that now. Love & Hugs. Tamara
1 person likes this
@Opal26 (17679)
• United States
30 Sep 08
Hey Chevee, Yes I do very much remember that big box of Government cheese and I so wish they still gave it out because cheese is so damn expensive now. My uncle would give it to my mom because he would get it from somewhere and he didn't eat it so we would always get. It was huge! Wow, that is something I forgot about! It's too bad that they stopped that. I wonder when they did. I'm on public assistance now and I sure could use it. They don't give out food anymore, they just give you food stamps on a card and it is for the month. In fact I should be getting mine tomorrow since it's the first. I am on temporary public assistance because I am unable to work. Things have really changed from the way it used to be. I worked for over 30 years and paid taxes. Now that I need help I'm treated like a piece of garbage. I worked hard all my life! I am not one of these people hanging out on the street drinking first thing in the morning and not working for years and scamming the government all their life!
@mands61123 (2098)
30 Sep 08
Really i've never heard that they did this! cheese is pretty expensive now so god knows what it was like then. I was only born in 1980 so maybe i missed it i'll have to ask mum if they had anything like that over here. Funny thing is i was on ticket for school dinner (ticket for those on benefits) as i was to young for mum to work and she'd stopped me going to the babysitters after an incident where i got smacked for another kid being naughty. Anywho we used to get served first so most people on this scheme ended up selling their tickets to people who wanted butties or whatever was the special that day (they we're gone 1st) with profit of course lol. Just goes to show others still benefit regardless lol
@nana1944 (1365)
• United States
1 Oct 08
Oh, man, telling my age again! I remember those days as I used to get it when my daughter was young in the 60', 70's and 80's. That was when they were called commodites. That was really good cheese. I could really use all the things that I got. Single mothers can use what they get in the way of food even though they are working. There were people I know that wouldn't use the yellow cornmeal and instant potatos then and they would bring it to me. My mom and my youngest brother lived with me and I could sure use the extra food. I even used the split peas. The way I cooked them even my mom who wasn't a split pea fan really liked them.
• United States
1 Oct 08
oh, I'd forgotten the corn meal and potatoes - and powdered nonfat milk and powdered eggs!
• United States
1 Oct 08
I remember it.my parents used to get it also.wish i could get it now as i am a senior now but i guess its no longer availible.it was very good.better than the store bought cheese. If you find out any info i would appreciate it. Thanks redrobin347
@ReoTwo (194)
1 Oct 08
Do I remember? I'll bet that anyone who received the so called, "Goverment Cheese" remember it. My friends and I still talk about it from time to time. The community centers and churches in our neighborhood who gave it out. We hate that that program was discontinued too. I really think that it could really be beneficial to low income families today. We used it in so many ways: in grilled cheese sandwiches, macaroni and cheese dishes, and wherever American cheese was used. The kids liked it because (well what child doesn't like cheese) and it was filling. Did you hear in the news later, that the government let a warehouse(s) full of this helpful foodstuff set and spoil? I'm still mad at such a waste.
• United States
1 Oct 08
While I was around in the 1980s I don't really remember the program. I guess that means I had my head in the sandbox or something. I guess it would have been a nice little program, but cheese is rather high in fat. Perhaps providing free veggies to people is a government program we could start. After all, people don't really eat enough veggies and this might be a way to help with that.
@taface412 (3175)
• United States
1 Oct 08
I do remember this. In our area you did not have to just be elderly or on welfare. You just had to show up and stand in line at our local sportscenter. I remember I would go with my mom. And you are right it was the best cheese. And not only did they do that here they made sure all the kids got something. Usually it was a bag with fruit and a few toys....little stuff. But it was something the community did for the community. They should have never stopped that program you're right. Because if we all did this and things like it we would not have so many people going without. Ahhh thanks for the memory of those early sat mornings....
@ANTIQUELADY (36440)
• United States
3 Jan 09
i do remember that vewell. my grandmother had a frieorked in that program & she put bigmama's name on the list & brought i to her. it was good ceese & my bigmama always shared w/me. that's been years ago. i don't know whether they still do that or not.
@bunnybon7 (50973)
• Holiday, Florida
1 Oct 08
yes i remember and it was the best cheese you could ever get. they also gave out other commodities on the reservations for native americans to help suppliment food stamps. my aunt also shared with family and we got some really good pork in cans that we made sloppy joes with barbecue sauce. Reagan i thought was the best pres we ever had. he was all about the military and poor! i loved the guy.
• United States
1 Oct 08
I remember this cheese quite well. It helped to stretch an already stretched food budget. Prior to this I remember them also giving out bags of food such as luncheon meat (generic spam), powdered milk and canned turkey.
• United States
1 Oct 08
I have to say I don't remember the cheese or the luncheon meat, milk & turkey. That's not to say I didn't eat it though, I just don't remember it. With the economy going the way it is ~ maybe they will bring back the cheese!
@flowerchilde (12529)
• United States
1 Oct 08
That was great cheese and it sure came in handy... just today I was wishing there was a program like that going..
@annjilena (5618)
• United States
1 Oct 08
they still give out the government chesse here people line up to get this cheese some food is better then nothing.
@Amberina (1541)
• United States
1 Oct 08
They need to bring that cheese back we used to grate it up and put it in top ramen and it was the best! Nothing tastes as good as that cheese in top ramen.
• United States
1 Oct 08
I remember that, but it was way before the 80's, in my case. My grandparents used to get that and the peanut butter, as Irish said. I LOVED that cheese. When we stayed with them in the summer, I would make tortillas , put some cheese and maybe some lunch meat on top of one and put another tortilla on top and make "grilled cheese sandwiches". Yep, I was making quasadillas long before the got popular. And, the peanut butter was not bad, either.