What is the strangest thing your dog has ever eaten????

Monica at the computer while Little Bit sits and t - I took this a few months after I got the pair. Monica loves to help at the computer while Little Bit is my deep thinker.
@Loverbear (4918)
United States
December 17, 2008 3:14pm CST
When we got our first pair of Rottweilers they were incredible at what they would eat. When they were 6 months old they ate their leashes!!! LOL, they came out in the end, but can you imagine passing a one inch wide nylon web leash? Fortunately they chewed the hook off first. From then on they consumed zippers, screws, the cords from jackets, even a tube of chocolate...tube and all. One night we even caught our male, Rocky, eating a whole angel food cake!What are the strangest things that your dog has eaten?
6 people like this
16 responses
• United States
18 Dec 08
HI Loverbear: Oh my that's funny heheheeh!! passing a one inch wide of nylon web leash...LOL! Poor dog!! AND EWWW!! are you sure you want to know the worst thing my dogs have eaten?? Now remember I am from the country ok?? The worst thing for me, not sure about the dogs, but the worst thing for me is when they drag home a stinking skunk, UGH!!! My "darlins" have done this twice now...and guess who has to get rid of the carcass?? Mmmeeeee!!! OMG!! Oh lord I'd rather they eat dog leashes, but no they drag home well any animal that God creates...and now they have been dragging home deer pieces/parts/ that hunters leave out in the woods or when the poor things get hit and no body picks up the carcass but all the neighborhood dogs big time feast for them; oh boy!! I could go on and on but I think Skunk is the worst for me!! Darn dumb dogs of mine !!! BAd stinky dogs! EWWW! AND PPPPPPP.....UUUUUU!!!!
@carmelanirel (20942)
• United States
17 Dec 08
Poo, and I hate it..She still does this, so for most of the time, she is an outdoor dog until she stops.
@Loverbear (4918)
• United States
18 Dec 08
Ahhh, now I can use something that I learned recently about poo eating dogs. And it's something that I tried and it WORKS!!! Add Adolph's meat tenderizer to your dogs food. From 2 to 10 pounds use a 1/4 tsp in the food. From 10 to 15 pounds use a half tsp. 15 to 25 pounds use a half tsp. 25 to 40 pounds 3/4 tsp and from 40 to 50 pounds a full tsp. Over 50 use 1 1/2 to two teaspoons. I was scoffing at the thought, but decided to try it, after all it is a cheap enough fix...and I'll be hanged if it worked!!! And what's even better is that it isn't something that is dangerous if it gets mixed in your food, and it isn't hazardous to the dog's health. I did cure my Rottweiler, Kitty, years ago. She loved to eat kitty poop. I finally would give her a shot of mouth wash every time she ate kitty poop. She finally decided that the poop wasn't worth the after taste! I hope you'll give the Adolph's a try. I don't know why it works, but it was a miracle for the three mini Dachshunds that were a gift to me from a breeder. They weren't controlled in a lot of their behaviors, and poop eating was one of the worst!
1 person likes this
• United States
18 Dec 08
It works because of the MSG in it which is also in forbid, the 5 day packets the vet sells you for 8.00 So I know it works, problems is, my husband or daughter gets lazy and instead of letting the dog out on her dog run, they let her out the front door and guess what is out there??? Neighbor dogs poo which is tasty, with no MSG...
@pyewacket (43903)
• United States
18 Dec 08
Well I've never had dogs, but some of my former cats have eaten strange things..and one time one of my cats, Sachiko completely freaked me out.. It was oh, I say about twenty five years ago. It was Thanksgiving. While everything was cooking up, I decided to do some "studio shots" in the living room on a fall/Thanksgiving theme. Then all of a sudden Sackiko is coming out of the kitchen doing a really weird thing with her mouth, like something was stuck in it. So I went over to her opened her mouth and........gasps!!!!!!! Somehow she managed to find the needle (with some thread) that I had sewn up the turkey with before roasting. I tried to get it out...I could see it all the way back in her throat....then worse...she swallowed it! Talk about freaking out..though it oddly enough didn't seem to bother her in the least..now being that it was Thanksgiving there weren't any vets open save one place quite a distance away...a very "famous" veterinary place in Manhattan open 24/7 even on holidays...still there was no way we could have brought her in as we were completely busted for money. So I at least called them to get advice....the person kept insisting we bring Sachiko in but kept explaining money wise we wouldn't be able to...this place was not only a famous vet place but outrageous in their bills...like charging a person $200 just to say hello to a vet for starters...so she told me the only thing I could hope for was that the needle would eventually pass through. Well, it almost sounds funny now, but I watched Sachiko like a hawk every time she pooed. For two whole days, nothing then on the third day as I watched her take a poo....eureka...the needle came out with her poo...you think I had just won a million dollars as I was so happy...strange to be happy over cat poo,right? LOL. The incident never seemed to have bothered her in the least...I was the one who was a nervous wreck...she actually lived a good fifteen years after that incident too. Since that episode I never "sewed" up a chicken or turkey ever again...uh, just in case. As for strange food items that my former cats have eaten (my two current kitties really don't eat people food--oh except maybe bacon, ham and scrambled eggs)...here's a list: rice, couscous, noodles, peas, carrots, corn, Brie cheese, cream cheese, ice cream, sour cream,--cheese of any kind actually, beef stew, cake, bread...uh, the list is nearly endless...LOL
@mjhicks (317)
• United States
18 Dec 08
I have a Pom/SnowDog mix that used to eat underware, chewed the strap off a brand new back pack, ate a whole basket of candy and half the basket too! When she ate an aluminum can thought that would be the end of her... no just strange looking stools for a couple of days. She finally out grew chewing and eating everything but still once in awhile gets a hankering for odd things. Recently caught her chewing on a piece of wall board left over from a repair job. She also likes talcum powder. I found it works to control ants but only lasts till my little devil dog finds the stuff sprinkled on the floor and likes it up as it if it were sugar. She also like to lick the metal drawer pulls on an old desk.
@TessWhite (3146)
• United States
18 Dec 08
Hmmm well the St Bernard ate, or at least chewed up, one of each pair of shoes I owned. Like he couldn't just stick with one pair? He also chewed up some plastic lawn ornaments I used for holidays. My german shepherd destroyed an entire chair one day when I was gone. He also destroyed the cover on the hottub as well. Mine did it out of boredom. Probably the same thing with your dogs. But it sounds like your dogs chew things that could potentially be fatal to them. I'd suggest locking them in a safe room when you aren't around so they can't get these things.
• United States
18 Dec 08
I would say cat poop! I've caught her a few times, I thought she would get sick as you know what, but she didn't. I think if she got sick from it just one time she would quit. I haven't caught her for a while so maybe she's quit.
@Loverbear (4918)
• United States
18 Dec 08
I can handle a lot of the gross things that a dog will eat or do, but cat poop is the worst! I finally tried the Adolph's meat tenderizer and it has eliminated the problem. Check a few postings up and give it a try. Also sprinkle some in the cat box too, it doesn't offend the cats and it will keep the dogs out (at least that is what the article I read stated.) I caught one of my Mom's Rottweilers in my cat's litter box and I lost it. I shoved her head in the box and mooshed it around really good. Mom and I got in a big fight about it, but it cured her (along with using some mouth wash each time she got into the poop and ate it.)
@shonali (1286)
• India
18 Dec 08
oh forget the strangest thing he ate... i think nothing can be stranger than my dog itself.... when he was about 7 months old.... he had suddenly gotten this habit of eating mangoes..... he loved them.... and as you know the mango has a pretty huge seed in it.... though he used to leave the seed aside all the time... one day he decided to try it i guess.... and i eralised that after he came up to me with just the skin of the mango..... and no seed to be found anywhere... i panicked..... called the doctor around 12 am in the morning and asked him frantically what to do .... he told me to take a little salt and stuff it down his throat..... i thought that was erally weird as i dint know what help would salt do to get the seed out but after 5 minutes of doing so my dog threw up and there was the mango seed.... in his vomit.... gosh was i relieved.... i thought there would be a mango tree growing in his stomach after a few days..... just kidding!! but i think that was the weirdest thing that he had eaten !!
• United States
19 Dec 08
I used to have a dog that loved fresh plums. We had a plum tree that would get weighed down with the weight from the ripe plums and he would literally jump up and grab a plum to eat. He even ate the pit. When they fell on the ground, he would eat them as well. We had to pick them up rather quickly or he would make himself sick by eating them.
@sarcos (201)
• New Zealand
18 Dec 08
Yes cat poo is the worst I think. And they never stopp doing that unless you don't have cats around at all. It usually means they are lacking in something when they experiment like that. I ended up getting different food for mine and he did stop some foods haven't got the vitamins or something in them. I know its expensive but its not nice when they eat stuff they aren't supposed to
@Katlady2 (9904)
• United States
17 Dec 08
Your babies definitely have a wide range of 'tastes'. LOL! My Buddy is the very same way. He loves to try to eat basketballs (yes you read that right), tennis balls, the stuffing to comforters, and he even tried to eat one of the life jackets from our boat. He didn't feel to good after that one. LOL
@Loverbear (4918)
• United States
18 Dec 08
One of my mini Dachshunds, Katie, has an apatite for cat hair. She prefers it fresh from the cat!! The cats take a dim view of it for some strange reason, and she has gotten a few swats from the cats. Hummm, a life jacket. That would be a true delicacy! We used to have a poodle that loved to eat wool. It started with a wool slipper that I had just finished knitting and it went on to sweaters, jacket "shearling" liners and anything that had wool content. It would be rather startling when we cleaned up his poop!
@annjilena (5618)
• United States
18 Dec 08
when my dog was a live the starngest thing he ate was some crap and didn,t think anything about doing it i found this to be strange espeacially how it smells.
@MichaelJay (1100)
18 Dec 08
My dog is extrremely partial to fish, specially the canned fish such as tuna or salmon. She goes absolutely mad for it and we think she must have some cat dna in her somewhere! Chocolate makes her drool but we don't let her have it as it can be toxic to canines. She's also fond of toast and as long as it's wholemeal and not the junk white bread (that would poison me, never mind the dog!) she sometimes gets a little corner of the slice. If there's marmalade or jam on it she won't eat it.
@kaliyha (591)
• Philippines
18 Dec 08
the strangest thing my dog have ever eaten was plastic. She escaped from her dog house once and she went out and took a walk around the neighborhood. She came back but she must have eat some plastic because her poop have plastic bits after that
• United States
18 Dec 08
balloons! my puppy popped and ate balloons one time. the vet was concerned that her system wouldn't be able to handle it, so we had to force her to drink peroxide through a turkey baster to make her throw it up... poor pooch :( she was fine afterward though
@Loverbear (4918)
• United States
18 Dec 08
It sounds like a neighbor's dog. Only Winston ate three boxes of heart worm medication. His owners were in town with him when he ate the stuff. They called the vet and he told them to give the dog peroxide. Talk about impossible feats! He wouldn't stand for any treatment like that, so they ended up taking him back to the vet. (He'd been in earlier for shots etc.) Well the vet tried to give Winston peroxide and had less luck than his owners did. So they sent Winston home with the directions that if he started to act strange to bring him back. His owners replied "how are we going to tell if he acts strange? He always acts strange!" He came through the episode with flying colors, and would still eat strange things. He passed away two years ago, and it's kind of quiet around here with him being gone.
@ElicBxn (63235)
• United States
18 Dec 08
The dog I grew up with ate a long yellow plastic hose type thing, never knew where she found it, it didn't pass through, it came back the way it went in.... Now, I've learned over the years that some cats are totally taken with rubber bands and they are bad for them, so I keep them away from all the cats....
@sconibear (8016)
• United States
18 Dec 08
this happened quite a few years ago, but our dog would sometimes poop on the floor. one time she pooped in my son's room and when i went to pick it up i noticed 2 bright red things coming out of it. so i thought, oh great, the dog has some kind of internal bleeding. well upon closer inspection i noticed they were 2 small red hands reaching for the sky out of her poop. it turns out she chewed off and swallowed the hands off my sons "Spiderman" toy that he had.