Some like it hot... some like it cold...

Mother Goose - Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot 9 days old
Some like it hot, some like it cold
Some like it in the pot 9 days old
@ahgong (10064)
Singapore
March 3, 2009 2:48am CST
I don't know. But of late, I have been exposed to a lot of children. From home to the commute to work, there are just a lot of children along the way. And recently, all of them seemed to have been bitten by the songbird bug. They are constantly singing and singing and singing all the time. And listening to them makes me reminiscence about the times when we too were happily singing those rhymes from mother goose and other children rhymes. From Three Blind mice to Peas Porridge Hot to itsy bitsy spider, they all bring back so many memories. And to think, at my age, I am still humming along to Twinkle, Twinkle little stars or the Alphabets! And the best one is Ten little Indian Boys! Or Old Macdonalds. Then there is This Old Man. And then there is When the Saints go Marching in... Man... I could go on and on! Do you remember the songs and rhymes you used to sing when you were a kid? Do you still sing along with the children when you hear them? [i]... Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold Peas porridge in the pot 9 days old Some like it hot, some like it cold Some like it in the pot 9 days old...[/i]
4 people like this
8 responses
• Singapore
3 Mar 09
Hi ahgong, Oh I simply love singing! But there is a time for everything so I don't go singing anywhere... kinda being inconsiderate if one does it at the wrong setting. But if I am with kids, well, it all depends if I feel like singing. After all, if I feel like singing, you would find me at a karaoke joint.
2 people like this
• Singapore
3 Mar 09
Hmm... what do you mean? I was just saying that if I am in the mood for singing, I will arrange with friends and go for a few hour singing session at a karaoke joint...
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
ha ha ha ha ha... It has been a while since I went to any Karaoke place. With so many tight datelines and busy schedules, it is getting increasingly difficult to find a common time slot where all my kakis can meet up together! Now, the only singing I do? It is mostly in the toilet during bath time. Otherwise, I would be croaking into the mike in the living room!
@zweeb82 (5653)
• Malaysia
3 Mar 09
Hmm....a kid's karaoke joint? Just thinking out loud. Hahaha
2 people like this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
4 Mar 09
lol =D How come i dun hear them singing those nursery songs at all??!! haha =D Those songs are nearly to extinction nowadays wehn everybody regardless of age are into all the pop songs instead.. lol =D Where did u hear them sing?? ON the trains and buses? hehe ^_^ THat should be quite interesting and u should join them in the singing as well.. lol =D For myself, i have forgotten majority of those nursery songs except for, Old macdonalds, ten little indians and twinke twinkle.. hehe ^_^ But i only remember part of the songs and not the whole song.. lol =D PLus, i dunno about that porridge song too.. lol =D
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
Well, I was on bus on the way home after work when the kids in the bus started singing. And one of the songs sang was "Nu Wa Wa". And it kinda reminded me that that is the only nursery rhyme that I know. The rest of the rhymes he was spewing out are totally unfamiliar! So it got me thinking about the old rhymes that we used to sing when we were kids. Heh heh heh... Now, the only thing that kept ringing in my mind is the teapot song. [i] I am a little teapot short and stout This is my handle... this is my stout ... ... Tip me over and pour me out! [/i] That is about all I managed to remember!
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
Yeah... Nu wa wa... and I was so surprised to hear it too! And almost the same evening, there was a CD being promoted on TV. In it are suppose to be oldies from the 60s and 70s. And guess what? Nu wa wa was one of the songs featured!
1 person likes this
@kun2349 (23381)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
lol =D Nu wa wa!! That's was such an old song, and i can only remember the start of it.. lol =D There are just too many childhood songs, including 'san zhi lao hu', and 'shi shang zhi you ma ma hao'.. lol =D
1 person likes this
@arkaf61 (10881)
• Canada
7 Mar 09
LOl I would be right there singing along as well :) THere is something about those old rhymes and songs that stay in our minds forever - i guess because we heard them so much as kids :) Of course my nursery rhymes and songs are not exactly the same because I did not grow in an english speaking country. But some of the melodies are close.
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
9 Mar 09
OH, do share some of the similar sounding ones. It would be interesting to know about rhymes in other languages. I too learned a few malay rhymes and a few chinese rhymes. I would love to learn a few more in other languages if possible!
@zweeb82 (5653)
• Malaysia
3 Mar 09
I always love nursery rhymes. I can still remember even hot to sing so many of them: Goosy Goosy Gander, Hey Diddle Diddle The Cat & The Fiddle, The Grand Old Duke Of York, etc, hahahaOh oh, and I love this one. I haven't heard anyone sing it before but I found it was quite cool due to the bombastic words used - especially it's for those who hate Maths? Multiplication is vexation, Division is as bad; The Rule of Three perplexes me, And fractions drive me mad!~ Hahahahah
1 person likes this
• Singapore
3 Mar 09
The one that pops into my mind now is this: Do a deer a female deer Ray a drop of golden sun Me a name I call myself Fa a long long way to run... But geez, oopsie, is that a nursery rhyme anyway?
2 people like this
@zweeb82 (5653)
• Malaysia
3 Mar 09
Hmmm....I think so....maybe let me check with Bambee or better still Bambee's mom since she's a doe & perhaps she sings it to Bambee? Hahahaha
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
ha ha ha ha ha... Yeah, I remember that song from Sound of Music, wizard! Well, it is fun to be trying to remember some of these nursery rhymes. Especially when I am listening to the kids in the bus singing away, it just reminded me of all those rhymes we used to learn. And we rarely hear them anymore. It seems that the preschools these days are teaching a whole different lot of them now.
1 person likes this
@Theresaaiza (10487)
• Australia
5 Mar 09
[i]Little Miss Muffet, sat on a tuffet, eating her curds and whey Lalalalala lalalalala And frightened Miss Muffet away! [/i] LOL....I couldn't even recall the lines anymore.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
This one is easy. [i]Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet, Eating her curds and whey. There came a big spider, Who sat down beside her. And frightened Miss Muffet away![/i] Not much of a rhyming there. But it was one that was easy to remember. My other favorite is Humty Dumty. [i]Humty Dumpty sat on a wall, Humpty Dumpty had a great fall. All the King's horses and all the King's men. Couldn't put Humpty together again.[/i]
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
9 Mar 09
Interesting name that restaurant has.
@Theresaaiza (10487)
• Australia
6 Mar 09
Haha..thanks for filling it in. LOL My, it's been a while since kindergarten. :-) There's a junkfood here in the Philippines named Humpy-Dumpy. :-D
1 person likes this
@Ysabel (1201)
• Philippines
5 Mar 09
Some like it hot... Some like it cold, Some like it in the pot, Nine days old! he he he... i like that! I've been hearing this song (Barney's video) at home. Sometimes, I also have LSS (last song syndrome) and sometimes too, I just can't help myself but sing a lullabye or two. or humming a tune... it all boils down when you share a baby at home, can hear nursery rhymes all the time!
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
5 Mar 09
Yeah... and I have been having so many of them rhymes running through my head of late. This other one is also another one I cannot get out of my head! [i]Sing a song of sixpence, A pocket full of rye; Four and twenty blackbirds Baked in a pie. When the pie was opened, They all began to sing. Now, wasn't that a dainty dish To set before the King? The King was in his countinghouse, Counting out his money; The Queen was in the parlor Eating bread and honey. The maid was in the garden, Hanging out the clothes. Along there came a big black bird And snipped off her nose![/i] And another! [i]Hickory, dickory, dock, The mouse ran up the clock. The clock struck one, The mouse came down! Hickory, dickory, dock.[/i]
1 person likes this
@Ysabel (1201)
• Philippines
5 Mar 09
i am familiar with the second one but the first one, i am not sure if i have come accross that song ... lately, this is what i have been hearing at home.. its a favorite! short and very easy to remember. [i]A-hunting we will go, A-hunting we will go, Hi-ho the derry-o A-hunting we will go! A-hunting we will go, A-hunting we will go, We'll catch a fox and put him in a box And then we'll let him go![/i] Are you familiar with this one? of course the famous, "i love you and you love me" - Barney's themesong is the top song ever. I am beginning to hate it already! Can't get if off my mind.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
Yeah, I remember that song. And not just a fox. I remember there are other animals too. Can you remember them? Ah~~~ Shoot! You have to go put that tune in my head! Not it is gonna be "I love you, you love me, we love happy family..." for days to come!
@naka75 (795)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
Ah those merry singing and beautiful tunes. Yes I definitely will sing along with the children, makes one feel young at heart, nothing to be ashamed about. Those who can sing to the songs of life are happy. If they could sing some Mandarin folk tunes too. But sadly these days many young children are not taught about these classical rhythms but adults allow them to be immersed in modern pops that teach them nothing but only love and relationship. So I think parents should not miss out cultural education as an integral, holistic education.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
ha ha ha ha ha... I can only recall a few simple ones for the chinese songs. Do you have any good recommendations? Maybe listing them here would jolt the memory a little on what I used to sing as a kid! It would be tougher to find them on the internet though.
@regal_aeros (2605)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
oh yes! and coz my mum is a childcare teacher, i get to here all these songs rather often too. half the time my mum would be asking me to refresh her memory on some of the nursery rhymes.
1 person likes this
@ahgong (10064)
• Singapore
6 Mar 09
Yeah, I know what you mean! My mother is also in the child care profession. And when I was living with her, I am always listenig to some nursery rhymes at some time or another. And there are so many new ones that I never heard of before.