Does anyone know how to filter cooking oil?

@CRSunrise (2981)
United States
March 3, 2009 7:21pm CST
We have a fryer, and I think there's a way to filter out the sendiments. This way we could reusing the oil and not have buy more so soon. I just don't know how to do this, or what I need for the job. Any ideas?
1 person likes this
5 responses
@lilybug (21107)
• United States
4 Mar 09
A bowl, a coffee filter, and a strainer. Just put the coffee filter inside a strainer and place it over a bowl. I usually pour it into an empty jar that has been washed out well and cover it until I need it again.
@lilybug (21107)
• United States
4 Mar 09
I agree though. If you cooked some smelly fish I would not reuse it.
@irishidid (8687)
• United States
4 Mar 09
If you've cooked something pungent like fish, I'd advise only using it once. For french fries and such you could get maybe two or three good uses for it. If it smells off or is darker in color toss it.
@irishidid (8687)
• United States
4 Mar 09
Oops, sorry put that in the wrong place!
@irishidid (8687)
• United States
4 Mar 09
One of the best ways I've found is to use the basket from an old drip coffee maker. Put in a coffee filter, put it over a clean, dry container (empty medal coffee can works great) and pour in the oil. Don't overfill the beyond the filter and let some go through before adding more oil.
@CRSunrise (2981)
• United States
4 Mar 09
It seems like everyone had the same bit of advise on how to filter out my cooling oil. Guess I'll have to go and buy some coffee filters here eventally. **wonders** I wonder what the usage life of cooking oil is.
@laydee (12798)
• Philippines
4 Mar 09
You can use a strainer, but the coffee machine filter does the job better. I do that too to save up oil. Cooking oil is starting to increase in prices again here in my area. So we try to save up oil. Another way for you to clear things up, if to fry potatoes in them. Potatoes are known to make cooking oil clear after each use. But of course, it would be weird to eat those if it's already been through many types of food since potatoes also suck in flavor and salts. Good luck!
@CRSunrise (2981)
• United States
4 Mar 09
eww... and I like to fry up french fries. Wonder what other tastes I've been eating.
• United States
4 Mar 09
Yes agree with the other response,i also use a mess strainer first,then the coffee filter and do it twice.
• United States
4 Mar 09
use a coffee filter. But I would filter it atleast twice.