When did you leave your parents house?

Italy
March 29, 2010 9:18am CST
In some countries it is mandatory to leave parents house soon after marriage or when 18 years old. In other countries, like Italy i.e., people live with their parents far over 30 years! I went from Belgium to Italy when I was 18 to study at university and had my first experience of living alone, but I have many friends that simply prefer to live with their parents, since they cook and wash their clothes for them. Is it really necessary and when do you think it is necessary to leave parents house?
1 person likes this
15 responses
@bulastika (5966)
• Philippines
30 Mar 10
Asean nations culture is that the closer we are to our family the better. Here in the Philippines its common that we live in a compound. In which your aunties and uncles also live. Extended families live in one house or compound is the way of life here in the Philippines. But because its hard to find job in the Philippines that traits is changing as more and more parents go abroad to work. And more and more singles leave their home to find works else where.
• Italy
30 Mar 10
And ow is life in an extended family?
• Sweden
30 Mar 10
you right my dear
• Philippines
29 Mar 10
Hi! (can't type your username, it's so long hehe) I left my parents' house after graduating from college. That's quite uncommon here in the Philippines since families are more close-knit - yes, even grown men and women with their own families still live in in their parents' house, in a lot of cases - but I decided to move out because I needed more independence. It's a tough choice, yes, but I haven't regretted it so far. Lots of my friends still live with their parents. It's not so much an issue of convenience for them but an issue of economics, since you really do get to save more if you're still living with your parents. Of course children, especially those who have their own incomes, are expected to contribute to the household expenses. Some of my friends swear that being closer to home makes them more bonded as a family. Here in our country homes for the aged are also not very common. When a parent (or both parents) grows old one of the children are expected to take care of them. If it's not one of the children who stays at the childhood home, one "adopts" the parent/s and takes care of them.
• Italy
29 Mar 10
I think that the economic issue is also very important in Italy. In fact, since unemployment is reaching new records I guess even more people will continue to live with their parents. This could be stated as follows: longer unemployment = later independency from parents. Sad but true. Ciao
• Italy
29 Mar 10
Argh! I already marked a best response by mistake, but usually for me all responses are good and interesting.
@ip5217 (1655)
• Philippines
30 Mar 10
I left my parents' house at the age of 23. I think that was just a perfect timing. I suggest that one should leave home after graduation.
@ip5217 (1655)
• Philippines
30 Mar 10
I'm sorry my computer acted on me. I thought the first response didn't go through.
• Philippines
30 Mar 10
in my country as long as you want to live with your parents and your still single then they can no matter how old they are. though me, i live alone when i started to have my job after school. i already start to live my own and become independent. i still give some money to my parents before while i still have job so they will not feel bad that i already ignore them when i have job.
• Italy
3 Apr 10
Where are you from? States?
@alilin28 (1527)
• Uruguay
3 Apr 10
to be honest, im still living with my parents, im study at university but the university dont have rooms or something like others universities, so i prefer to live here with my parents, helping me to pay my accounts and when i finish the other university and become a proffesional i would like to find a job and have my own money to move another house only for me. here is not a country who parents said to his soon "its time to fly", but of course, there are a lot of cases that make this hahahaa i could see than in the university, the people who arent from the capital of the country, must changed to here and live with other people like study house and live with 5 or more people. thanks for asking, have a nice day! :)
@junrapmian (2169)
• Philippines
29 Mar 10
I left my parents' house when I got married, since I am the woman I went with my husband to live with his parents' house. Though it was not easy living with in-laws, I manage to get along with them. We lived with them for about five years, then we bought our own house so we can live independently. I think, if you have your own job and you are earning for yourself, it is necessary to leave your parents' house, they are already old and we should let them do the cooking and washing for us. It's time that they relax and enjoy their retirement. Anyway, we can pay them visits on weekends.
• Italy
29 Mar 10
Absolutely in agreement! Where are you from? I'd like to mark the differences between countries. thxs for contribution!
29 Mar 10
I was 17 years old when I left home to be independant. I found myself a job and a place to live and although it wasn't easy, I was glad to be independant and looking after myself. It taught me a lot of valuable lessons in life.
@sid556 (30960)
• United States
3 Apr 10
I left my parents home when I turned 18 as soon as I graduated highschool. I could not wait to be on my own. As parents our goal should be to raise our kids to be independent from us. We have 18 yrs to do this work which is the longest length of time any creature spends raising their young. With all that time it amazes me at how many kids prefer to live at home once they are of age rather than be on their own and also how many parents are not only fine with it but encourage it. I know there are circumstances where the child needs to stay on longer or has to come back home for a time but I think the goal should always be to be independent. My daughters have come back from time to time due to circumstances but their stay is temporary until they get back on their feet. I would love to have them home permanently because I love their company and having them around but I also know that it is important for them to learn how to succeed independent from me.
@mikeysmom (2088)
• United States
29 Mar 10
i was 20 when i moved out officially. i moved out of state for awhile at that time so it was a bit of a bold move. moving out for the first time and moving out of state. i am the only family member that ever did leave the state for awhile. i came back 8 months later due to a family crisis and have been here ever since and that was almost 30 years ago. hard to believe.
@samijo719 (1052)
• United States
29 Mar 10
I left home at 17, not really intentionally to be honest. Me and my boyfriend began dating and my dad who I lived with lived an hour away so I would just end up spending the night, one night turned into 2 nights, then a week…you get the idea. I did move back home when I mom made the move to where I live from 2500 miles away. Me and my boyfriend felt is was important to take some time actually dating, we went from friends, to dating, to living together all within about a month…intense! We loved it but really wanted to have that dating thing and not rush it. So I moved back home at 19 for about a year and 4 months. And I will never regret it. It was thing we could have done for our relationship. We got our own apartment again when I was almost 21 and have been on our own every since. I think there isn’t a set age to move out. Whenever you are done with school if you go to college or are finically stable or whenever parent/child think is the appropriate time!
@ip5217 (1655)
• Philippines
30 Mar 10
I left my parents' house when I started working. I think I was 23 then. As for me, I think the best time to leave our parents' house is when we graduate from school. In our country, we normally finish school at the age of 21, not unless we proceed with a masters degree, law or medicine. Therefore, I can say that the time I left home was just the perfect timing.
@bounce58 (17387)
• Canada
29 Mar 10
Like you, I left my parents house after high school to pursue a university education. It was an hour-and-a-half plane ride away from home. After graduation, I stayed in the city and worked there. A few years after that I moved half-way around the world away from my parents. The world is big, so I think it is really necessary to move away from the parents. College or univeristy age is when one starts developing his or her own mind, and that is when I think they should move.
@myramae19 (667)
• Philippines
29 Mar 10
Here in the philippines mostly leave with the parents until they decided to get married... no matter how old they are,30's,40's... the parents won't tell you to leave, unless if you really insist to leave all alone.,, But when you got married and no home to go??? then both husband/wife must decide where they should stay..mostly here stay with the husband parents. I got married at the age of 22.. I stayed with my mom for one year, since my hubby was away for work, then when my husband arrives we moved to their house.. my husband bought the house for all of us, for his parents and for us to leave together as well. I don't have problem with it.
• Philippines
30 Mar 10
I left my parents home as soon as my husband and I got married. My parents didn't really believe in giving me a free pass so they kicked me out as well. X-D
• United States
29 Mar 10
for me, I leave my parents house after I finished high school. Look for a job since I don't come from a rich family that's why I decided to look for a job and raised myself without depending my parents. I was successful in finding a job. He was a very generous chinese employer which I really earned money .then I save as much as I could. after two years I did apply job overseas and there again I was lucky to find a kind and generous singaporean employer. while working there I did travel to malaysia and indonesia just to unwind from heavy work it's just a nearby small country..after 4 years contract, I went back to my country and find another job In a travel agency. I was lucky again to land a single rich korean employer with his travel agency. I did apply as his maid but after three months he make me a secretary in his travel agency. everything is provided, with my high salary, weekened gateaways..wheeww..life is really good..I do always have money! I helped my brothers and sisters on their school until they found job. my parents too. after three years working there, I got married and now my life is settled..yeah I was satisfied of what I have been doing. these things happened I never thought I could do after leaving my parents.. So go out and explore life.!!