should the military repeal the "don't ask don't tell" rule

United States
September 13, 2010 10:28pm CST
do you think the military should repeal the " don't ask don't tell" rule and allow Gays to serve openly in the military? I personaly don't think the rule should be repealed.
1 person likes this
6 responses
@Latrivia (2878)
• United States
14 Sep 10
Absolutely - Don't Ask, Don't Tell is one of the many laws that openly defies the 14th amendment. The sooner it's gone, the better.
• United States
14 Sep 10
Section 1 of the 14th Amendment states: All persons born or naturalized in the US and subject to the jurisdiction thereof are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privilege or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall and State deprive any person of life, liberty or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws. as far as I know no state has made any laws about being gay and the Federal GOVERNMENT IS NOT A STATE
• United States
14 Sep 10
Don't you love how many people use the 14th Amendment argument but have no clue what it actually says.
@Latrivia (2878)
• United States
14 Sep 10
So then you are willing to argue that the 14th amendment does not apply to the federal government? It may treat people however it wishes, whenever it wishes? It can easily go back to treating blacks as inferior, depriving them of the constitutional right to equal treatment? I think in attempting to support anti-gay legislation you are being unintentionally obtuse. The federal government is not a state, but it is not exempt from it's own laws. If you believe otherwise, then you believe the federal government is the ultimate power in our country - so much so that it can ignore the highest laws in the land. I would have never pegged you for a big government supporter - I guess I was wrong. Regardless, the 14th amendment is generalized to apply to multiple situations. Just because it doesn't specify homosexuality doesn't mean homosexuality isn't covered. It guarantees equal protections of the law, and specifically excluding a certain group of people is one of the reasons why the 14th amendment was written.
@dawnald (85135)
• Shingle Springs, California
14 Sep 10
What is the harm in letting an openly gay person serve in the military?
@gewcew23 (8007)
• United States
16 Sep 10
Sonofmercury you lack of logic is breath taking.
1 person likes this
@dawnald (85135)
• Shingle Springs, California
14 Sep 10
then punish the idiots who do those things - no tolerance.
@gewcew23 (8007)
• United States
15 Sep 10
I am sure that their was plenty of people who thought that Jim Crow laws shouldn't be repealed but that is what makes this country great, rights are not based on peoples opinions on the subject.
@sierras236 (2739)
• United States
14 Sep 10
No. Let the military do it at their own pace if they deem it as unreasonable. But to tell you the truth repealing it might hurt gays more than it helps them. I wonder what the statistics are on the number of people who deliberately used this particular clause to get them out of the military.
@dark_joev (3034)
• United States
15 Sep 10
That is what congress and the president are doing or should I say trying to do. The DOD (Department of Defense) Started this whole thing when they wanted to do an internal review and notified congress that the review was going to be on DADT and how they would go about changing it. Congress is allowing them to do this.
@elmiko (6630)
• United States
14 Sep 10
no they shouldn't because too many soldiers said they would leave the military in protest if that happened. there's no need to do so anyway. it would just cause more problems.
@dark_joev (3034)
• United States
14 Sep 10
Well I personally have to think that the policy makes no real since as the person is still able to complete missions and kill people as this is the true requirements of a soldier whether people want to admit it or not. Even the DOD is thinking of how to phase out this rule. Hence why congress is looking at getting rid of the policy. As does it stop homosexuals from serving NO never did it just stops them from serving openly. I have talked to servicemen who know of a few people who where Gay in there squads in Veitnam this person and the few others I have talked to said that all that stuff that the public seems to think is important isn't the very second a bullet goes by your head you are thinking of only one thing living past this moment in time. Not of if the person next to you likes your or any of that stuff. As for it being banned for 200 years this is not true as Don't ask don't tell was not instated into law until 1990's and the military had no official policy on this tell 1940's so really shoeshine fact check before you go on your holier than thou type of rant. I mean really. I think anyone who wants to serve in the military and go through bootcamp and all the militaries meat grinding test to make you a fighting machine should be allowed in. No matter who they find attractive. It won't affect the military any as many soldiers may have issues with it to start off with but in a few weeks they will form as a unit no matter what as they will all have shared the same experiences and become a new family as this is what the military is most efficient at. As for this being just a democrat thing Congress and the DOD both are moving towards this as they see it as being no longer relevant to the times more of the military 18-20 year olds are accepting of homosexuality so it will not have a negative effect as it never really has. Gays have been and always will be in the military there is nothing saying they can't serve in the military there is just something saying they can't serve openly which after a while people will figure it out that oh that person is different humans are smart that is why everyone who has an evolved brain haven't ever seen this as an issue. DADT was an unintelligent that kept true patriots from joining because they wanted to be them and serve and die to protect the freedoms and rights of the United States. Hence why the DOD is looking into how to get rid of the policy and make it a smooth transition for everyone.