Cruising again...

@1creekgirl (16062)
Our daughter, her husband and son, and our son and his son (Nathan) are leaving on ANOTHER cruise tomorrow. They told me where they're going, but I never can keep up with it. They drove to Florida today and are leaving from there. Those are the cruising-est people I've ever seen! They're been trying to get my husband and I to go on one with them and we're actually considering it. Maybe a short one for four or five days. We've got an appointment next week to apply for our passports and going to Walgreens tomorrow to get our glamour shots, I mean mug shots, I mean passport photos. Okay, Lori A Moore, any advice or warnings? Other than "don't fall off the ship"? I have mixed feelings about it, but the kids really want us to go with them. And how cool is that? Our kids and grandkids actually want to hang out with us. But we'll see. You guys have any helpful hints or horror stories?
I've never been on a cruise.
@1creekgirl (16062)
Do you think you'd like to?
@1creekgirl No I don't think so. We go to Cozumel, Mexico every year and the condo we stay at is right next to a cruise ship pier. We see everyone get off the ship like little ants and rush into town. Then they all rush back to be on the ship in time to not be left behind. It looks very hectic to me. I like to just get somewhere and then know that I can relax. Also I'm not a fan of mediocre food and that's what I've heard about the ships--tons of food but not particularly good.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
@NJChicaa That is a personal opinion. Most cruise lines provide very good meals and food all day long. You can get food 24/7 if you want to. The reason ,most people are running when they get off the ship is they think they are going to miss their tours or sales. Some people do not know how to relax.
I bet you would have a great time with the kids on a cruise!! I have never been on a cruise.
@1creekgirl (16062)
I still have more reasons not to go, but the main one for going is to make some good memories with the kids. For a vacation, I'd rather drive somewhere (or fly) and stay in a nice hotel. Which I'm sure has much bigger rooms than a ship.
@1creekgirl I am the same way when it comes to vacationing. Well, maybe just a one-time try for you and your husband will be just enough cruising to last a lifetime.
@ptrikha_2 (14620)
@1creekgirl yes wish you a great trip!
@rakski (31252)
well, it is always nice to have a cruise with your family. I hope you enjoy it
@1creekgirl (16062)
Thanks, I'll let you all know how it is, if we do go.
@rakski (31252)
@1creekgirl for sure, we will be waiting for your update here
@garymarsh6 (17687)
An excellent question. My advice would be yes go for it. You are close enough to go around the Caribbean or perhaps up the West coast to Alaska. Cruising is a wonderful experience. Last Friday I came off a two week Cruise from Southampton to New York on the Queen Mary, I have just posted about it. It is an amazing experience. Every evening a log is left in your cabin for activities going on the next day so you can browse and plan your day. There is so much to do you won't be able to do it all. I could write a book about it. Imagine waking up each morning in a new port, a new country even. The entertainment is amazing from classical concert to broadway shows. Enrichment lectures, casino, relaxing bars or lounges, some even have large swimming pools and log flumes. One ship even has bumper car rides. The facilities are amazing and available to you most included in the price. There are activities for all age groups and you can do as much or as little as you wish. Nothing is compulsory it is YOUR choice. The food is superb breakfast, Lunch, afternoon tea, Dinner, Snacks. You could eat all day long which unfortunately some people do. I came off the Queen Mary last Friday and on Saturday I booked a world cruise in 2021 which is four months of heaven in my opinion. I was bouncing off the ceiling with excitement this time last week. Do feel free to ask any questions but I do think you should give it a try. You will be hooked. Good luck.
@ptrikha_2 (14620)
@garymarsh6 wow you had a gala time on the cruise!
@ptrikha_2 (14620)
@1creekgirl (16062)
Getting hooked...that's what I'm afraid of! Your trip sounds amazing. I expect sailing on the Queen Mary would be pretty magnificent. So, in 2021 you'l be on a four month long cruise? I can't even imagine. Tell us all about it and I'd love to hear about the cruise you just took.
Well, my best friend and her husband has been on two. I need to start saving towards one for myself I think. She says that once you go on one you will want to go all the time. They have a dinner towards the end where you can ask the crew different questions, atleast I think it's one of the last dinners.
@1creekgirl (16062)
My daughter actually thinks she wants to live on a cruise ship when she retires. Thank goodness her husband has better sense.
@1creekgirl I feel like she would get tired of it. The glamour of it would fade. Plus, that would be one expensive retirement.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
@ScribbledAdNauseum Do what I did and work on the ships. Nothing like it.
never been on a cruise lately I only hear the bad of cruises, but my friend, goes on them all the time and has been just fine.
@1creekgirl (16062)
It sares me every time I hear about accidents on cruises.
@1creekgirl I don't think I would do well on one, I would be afraid of what I don't know, or get sick and stuck on the boat. so for now I stay on shore.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
You said you only hear the bad about cruises, like what. Some people never leave their stateroom except tp eat. There is so much more than eating. You can get involved and play games or sports or swim or dance or lie around and do nothing. You have the options on the ship, it is up to you to use them and enjoy things you do not normally do.
Have you heard about the ship that had bathroom fail. Everyone was ill with the toilets, not flushing. I am scared to go out in the ocean so I refused to go.
@1creekgirl (16062)
I haven't heard that, but I worry every time I hear about an accident or injury on a ship.
@1creekgirl I am glad you did not but it's ok, enjoy yourself.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
The chances of getting on a ship with problems is very slim compared to everyday going to work or out shopping. The thing that makes cruising scary is the amount of people on board. I don't think many people get scared going to work in the morning. Things can happen more on land than on the sea.
I love cruising, it is the most relaxing vacation in the world,
@1creekgirl (16062)
Any advice in case we do gl?
@1creekgirl take Bonine everyday just in case of seasickness and just enjoy. We love holland America it is a more adult line with great food and they serve tea every afternoon. They have thermal suites where you can go to relax!!
@hereandthere (36959)
i've read what some people like is not having to pack and unpack at each destination since you have your own room. i've also read that others don't stay in their room much since they socialize and get involved in as many of the activities offered.
@1creekgirl (16062)
There seems to be so much to do on the cruises.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
That is absolutely right. We leave the room for breakfast and go back before dinner is being served and don't go back until it is time to sleep. After the midnight buffet of course.
I've never been on a cruise, I have too many pets but a friend of mine goes on them all the time and has a blast. I'll bet you'd have a blast simply because you'd be with family
@1creekgirl (16062)
Yeah, the best part will just be spending time with the kids.
I'll bet you'd have so much fun @1creekgirl
I have never been on a cruise. But I love to have a holiday with my daughters. By all means, try it.
@1creekgirl (16062)
We got our passport photos today, so we'll see.
@1creekgirl I had lots of fun on February when I went to Ciudad de Mexico with my daughters.
Oh, it is fun! Just do your research on the company you choose.
@1creekgirl (16062)
My daughter's been on so many, she's my resident expert!
@1creekgirl That's really good.
No horror stories. I can absolutely recommend it and how much better to enjoy it with family? They'll be able to guide you along with what's happening. All you'll need to do is relax and enjoy it. Don't put it off any longer.
@1creekgirl (16062)
I totally agree..thanks for the comment!
Cruising is fun, and I bet when you go on one you will get addicted. My advice would be try to get as much included as possible, so you don't have to spend any extra money onboard.
@1creekgirl (16062)
Thanks, that's a good idea.
Never been on one. But I have a friend who goes on one every year and she likes it a lot.
@1creekgirl (16062)
My kids sure enjoy them.
@ptrikha_2 (14620)
Well "don't fall of the ship" is an important one! Isn't it! And do not mylot when you are towards the edge of the deck. Eat rightly and do not overload. Start a mylot discussion if you start feeling sea sickness
@1creekgirl (16062)
Thanks for all the great advice! Since we won't have internet, myLot will have to wait until we get home. I'll try not to get too fat with all the yummy food.
• Peoria, Arizona
Never been on a cruise, they sound kind of terrifying to me but I am sure they are such a great time and I ever had the opportunity I would try it out. When the opportunity comes up, go for it! The best things in life are experiences!
@1creekgirl (16062)
Felicia, you are absolutely right..the best things in life truly are experiences.
• Walnut Creek, California
It's cool that the kids want you to go with them. If I were given the choice between a cruise and a learning how to castrate bulls and turn them into steers, I would choose the latter, but that's just me. Horses were not made to ride on boats.
@1creekgirl (16062)
• Walnut Creek, California
@1creekgirl When I think cruise, I think stomach flu.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
@TheHorse Why? I have been on more than 75 cruises and never got any stomach flu.
I would say go, you have to try, but get a short one, so if you dislike you will not be blocked on a ship for many days. I have no horror stories, but both my husband and I do not like.
@1creekgirl (16062)
We've never wanted to go on one, either. If we do this time, it will only be to spend time with the kids.
@1creekgirl I was just thinking that for you it will be good anyway, you are not going alone, you have your kids and grandkids company. I went with my husband and there were many things we did not like, first of all being obliged at a table with other people, they did not offer small tables.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
@LadyDuck That was the olden days. We never sit with anyone for meals. Now a days you have the choice to sit with others or alone. We sit alone but end up talking to others if we want to. We also sit in a different area every night unless we want the same table as the previous nights.
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
I can probably answer any questions you have about cruising as my husband and I have been on over 50 cruises plus I was a hairdresser on cruise ships for almost 2 years many years ago. I don't think anything can compare to cruising. My first suggestion is DO NOT overpack. That is one of the biggest issues. You don't need more than two suitcases each and some people, like my husband, only brings one and one back pack. Try to organize your days ahead of time. EX if you are a person that wears mostly pants for dinner instead of formal attire, try and wearing your skirt or pants more than once. You do not need new things every day. Wear a different top with the bottom, either skirt or pants. You do not need shoes to match every outfit. Again, a basic color that you can My best invention was get one of those hanging shoe organizers that has 12 or more slots for shoes. You will need space for brushes, combs, tooth paste, etc. Drawer space is very limited. Hang the shoe holder over the edge of the shower or any door. If you want I can give you some more tips. I can write a book about cruising. I don't want to overload your mind yet.
@1creekgirl (16062)
Nancy, thank you so much! I really like the idea of a hanging shoe bag. Please, any advice will be so welcome. I'm pretty sure you've got my daughter beat in the number of cruises! Did you enjoy working on them? What was your and your husband's favorite trip?
@ramapo17 (27551)
• Melbourne, Florida
@1creekgirl We really cannot chose one trip, there have been so many but this last trip on the Norwegian Bliss is probably the number one. Any new ship is so great and usually has some new things. As far as ports we do not have any one special one from our experiences but when I was working on them I loved Iceland, Greece and Africa. Denmark and all of Scandinavia. I did like others to. Another thing to think about is the walls in the staterooms are magnetic so you can bring some little clips that are magnetic for any notes you want to hang. In the dining room don't be afraid to ask for seconds if you want them. My husband always did that and so did I when they were serving some of our favorite foods, like lobster. We haven't seen lobster being served on any ships in the past few years.