Grocery Shopping

Green Bay, Wisconsin
My goal is to buy weekly instead of monthly and save money doing so and have enough food to last the month instead of three weeks. I just got home from shopping and made breakfast before sitting down to the computer. I made a list as I did last week and stuck to the list, saving one item for next time. One thing I was disappointed with was the coupon for water. I got a coupon for water from the 32 pack Ice Mountain bottled water. I was disappointed in two regards. One it wasn't for the same 32-pack I bought, it was for 2 six-packs of the 700 ml bottles. Second, the coupon wasn't accepted by the scanner so the savings I should have gotten, I didn't. Otherwise, my total was $16 less than last week. Which is good news for me and I have meat this time. I bought 1 pound of hamburger that I divided in half for two meals. I couldn't find the tuna I wanted and opted for the pouches. I've never gotten the pouch before, so I hope it's the same as the can. I guess I need to get into the 21st century in every way, even with the food I buy. The good thing is I have something other than eggs to eat this week. I can have four non-egg meals. I also bought the makings for a BLT salad. It was hard finding the right bacon. It needs to be turkey bacon, uncured, and as little sodium as possible. It's 8% sodium. So, I'm happy with it. I considered buying Father's Day gifts for my sons but decided I would give them rocks instead as I did for my daughter. I'll be choosing the pictures for them this week and get them done on Thursday. Have you done your weekly grocery shopping? Thanks for reading.
I shopped on Friday
Do you use a list?
@just4him yes I add to it all week
Good morning.Mike does the shopping every Tuesday and Friday
Good morning, Alfredo. Do you give him a list of what you need?
@just4him we both make out the list.This is done Monday night.
@amadeo That's great!
Yes, we went to Italy Sunday morning and I have enough in my refrigerator for at least 8 to 10 days.
That's good. Do you take a list with you?
@just4him All the time, I check the online flyer to see what they have in promotion and I make the list of what I need.
@LadyDuck That's good and you take advantage of the sales too.
I have always done our grocery shopping on a weekly basis. I hope that you find this method of shopping to be successful in keeping on a budget. I go out shopping on Friday mornings, because our flyers start on Thursdays, and they bring in their fresh stocks of supplies during the later part of Thursday and they have plenty for when I go.
That's wonderful you can go on Friday's for groceries. I think the fliers come out on Thursdays here too. However, weekends are busy in the stores and I prefer going when it's less hectic. Monday morning when everyone is back to work works best for me. They were stocking when I was there, so I know everything I got was fresh. I've been there when the shelves are almost bare and couldn't get much and needed to wait until a more advantageous time.
@just4him Going out when the crowds are less and the stock is up is very important, otherwise its lost time if you cannot get the items on your list.
@Juliaacv Yes, it is a waste of time. I've been there done that and it's totally frustrating. Going early in the morning when the stocking is almost finished is a good time to go. Everyone is at work and the only ones in the stores are those who are up early and usually don't have children in tow.
I don't shop weekly, I usually shop once a month and then stop at the dollar store for anything else I may need. Pretty soon I will be hitting the farm stands.
I'm going to try the Farmers Market this year. I've always wanted to, but always forget. That's good when you can do that and make it last the month.
@just4him Most of the meals I make result in leftovers so we get two or three meals out of them, like the roasted chicken I bought, I made sandwiches, chicken salad and then the pot pie so that $4.99 chicken went a long way for the two of us,
@BelleStarr I've been getting multiple meals from my roasts when I buy them. It really makes everything go a lot farther. I found I was getting two meals from a pound of hamburger, so I divided it this time. Whatever works to make it through the month. However, even with the multiple meals, I was finding it hard to make it on that last week of the month. So, I'm trying the weekly thing to see if I can make it work.
@cacay1 (39658)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
You did a good job in your shopping. It's really time saving shopping good for many weeks. I do shopping weekly. It's because there's always blackout here and foods in ref get spoiled.
That's a good plan for you. I'd hate to spend money to find out the food is spoiled because of a blackout.
@cacay1 (39658)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@just4him one time loaves of bread coated with molds blackout cause , almost 2 days . Bread cannot be toasted, no current.
@cacay1 That's terrible.
@Janet357 (17131)
ahh im.wondering how.come some.coupons.dont work. well, it is good that you have shopped already for the whole month's meal. i will.do the shopping.next week. we have some supplies to.last us.for a.month, i will just buy.the meat and veggies
I didn't buy for the month, only the week.
@xander6464 (14284)
• Wapello, Iowa
You got away with $16 less than last week? That's like hitting the lottery.
I hope I can do it again. It would be great. I think it's because I didn't have anything but food on this one, not any of the other household products I needed last week.
@xander6464 (14284)
• Wapello, Iowa
@just4him Those nonfood items really do inflate the bill.
@xander6464 Yes, they do.
• Rupert, Idaho
That's good you were able to add a little meat to your weekly meal shopping. And that you got items for a BLT salad, for a change up too. I need to start making a plan and shopping for the week....but sometimes we just go and buy for a day or two; not very smart!
That can be more expensive to shop by the day. I tried that and found I spent more. Thanks. I'm glad I have meat this week too.
• Rupert, Idaho
@just4him I would agree that it is more expensive. Just haven't gotten around to making a list for the week/month
@MommyOfEli2013 I'm finding it helpful to have the list.
@porwest (14746)
I do weekly grocery shopping BECAUSE it saves money. You have to know your prices and you should stock up on sale items when they are on sale. For example, pork. I will NOT pay more than $1.99 per pound for pork. So when I see pork steaks on sale for $1.49 I might buy 10 pounds and freeze it. I also arrange my weekly shopping to the stores I need to hit and buy enough to last until the next time I need to go to that store. I save thousands a year doing it this way.
I'm learning to work it that way. I have only so much I can spend per week to make this work. $80 is the high end of what I can spend to make it come out for 4 weeks.
@porwest (14746)
@just4him Stretching $80 should not be difficult at all. The biggest thing is knowing your prices. It lets you know whether something is a good deal or not. For example, and this is admittedly a silly example, some people think everything at the Dollar Tree is a good deal because it's a dollar. But it's not necessarily true. If I buy Ultra-Brite toothpaste in a 6 ounce tube at Dollar Tree it's a buck of course. But that same tube is at Walmart for 97 cents. Also, beware pre-packaged foods. If you can make food from scratch you will save a ton. On CERTAIN pre-packaged foods, say...macaroni and cheese, know where to buy it for the least. For example, at Pick 'N Save the generic brand is probably about 75 cents per box. At Ruler Foods it's 49 cents per box. At Aldi it's 25 cents per box. So IF I am going to buy macaroni and cheese I will get it at Aldi. Stock up on things best priced at whatever store so you don't have to visit the best stores for the items you need every week. Time your shopping and buy enough to last until the next time you are in that store that has the best price. Again, I save thousands of dollars a year doing it this way.
@porwest I don't buy pre-packaged food. Everything I make is from scratch. Aldi is good for some things, and as you said, I need to find the best store for the price. So far, that's been Wal-Mart. Festival is high. Pick-N-Save has great produce, but they are still higher than Wal-Mart. I found that Pick-N-Save's low prices are because their portions are smaller than what you can get at Wal-Mart. That's not a smart buy but wasteful on the pocketbook as you need to buy it more often. Thanks for the tips.
bummer 'bout'cher coupon, hon. when i shopped, i'd most oft coupons, the hubs'll not use 'em fer some odd reasonin'? congrats'n gettin' ya some meat this week :) i believe the rocks're a splendid idea, somethin' truly from the heart. nope, don't do such these days. the hubs says i slow 'im down 'n thus i jest stay home. don't hurt my lil feelin' (i've only 1 left) one lil bit, lol.
I don't normally use coupons and thought I'd give it a try. I was disappointed it didn't work. Yes, it will be good to have meat this week. Thank you. I know just the picture for my older son. I only need to find a good one for my younger one. If it makes him happy for you to stay home and not go shopping with him, hey, that's more alone time for you. Sounds like a win to me.
@just4him dependin' 'pon what'cha buy, those coupons'r purty handy 't savin' ya some $$. yer welcome :) yes ma'am, 'xcept he calls 't least 3 times whilst there. dunno why, my shoppin' list aint changed the past 8 yrs since such a task fell'n his shoulders. 't least i can turn off the telly 'n 'void that noise :)
@crazyhorseladycx That is the good thing about his going to the store. Quiet. I don't usually use coupons because I don't buy all those boxed foods and other junk food. It's rare they have coupons for fresh produce and vegetables. I don't think I've ever seen them. They'll have deli coupons, but then that's preserved foods too high in sodium and other things not healthy.
I did mine for a few weeks. I am probably set for the month since I have been eating less. I am making tuna fish today. I have rolls I don't want to waste. I should not have bought them. I had forgotten my cutting back. But I will just have one roll today. The packs of tuna have less liquid.
That's good you're cutting back and are set for the month. I'm looking forward to using the packs.
@just4him I am sure you will like them. I have not seen them at aldi and I am tired of straining mine. But I want it to eat.
@sharon6345 It will be a different experience.
Sorry about the coupon. But glad you could get meat, and save more
Yeah. Live and learn. I don't normally do coupons anyway. I'm glad too.
@just4him we don't use them too much anymore, but sometimes have trouble wthi ones we do have,
@Courtlynn Not fun when you can't use them.
@DocAndersen (4613)
we switched to weekly when we moved near a Wegmans. My wife would shop daily if she could now!
I've seen that store but it's not here. I'm glad it's easy for you to shop weekly.
@just4him wegman's is amazing. got voted number one grocery store in the US for the second year in a row. It is only on the US East coast!!!
@DocAndersen I live in Wisconsin. I'm quite sure I saw it in Milwaukee.
@kobesbuddy (73240)
• East Tawas, Michigan
We use to shop every two weeks, but now we buy groceries every week. Jay is a coupon clipper, not me. Turkey bacon is pretty good, but the sodium content varies. For Father's Day, I will send my son-in-law a card.
Yes, it does, which is why I watch the sodium content with everything I buy. I hope he has a nice Father's Day.
@kobesbuddy (73240)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@just4him They always baby our son-in-law, on Father's Day:)
@smileyhema (1911)
Yeah.. we've items stocked for the next 3 to 4 days. While my husband is away for business travel, he stocks most of the items for us. We have two lists :- 1. Long usage items will be purchased for a month or two. 2. Other perishable items will be purchased weekly or twice a week.
That's a good way to shop.
@just4him : Yeah.. thank you
@didinedhia (7584)
• Algeria
I hope i can do that too
I'm finding it's easier to do that than buying monthly.
• Algeria
@just4him yes that actualy true i fimd i t better too
I'll need to go shopping towards the end of the week.
Do you do it weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly?
@just4him usually weekly.
@a_jerobon (1104)
• Eldoret, Kenya
You are so good at budgeting your grocery shopping. I don't usually do the shopping myself, my mum does.
This month I needed to do it this way. I usually buy by the month instead of the week. It's really working out better than I expected.
@a_jerobon (1104)
• Eldoret, Kenya
@just4him that's great.
@FayeHazel (28779)
The weekly grocery shopping seems to work well for me, too - and less expensive somehow as you note. I love the turkey bacon.
I'm glad it works well for you too. Yeah, it's great.