Make hay while the sun shines

cutting the hay
My home is across the road from a large field. When they had a school here it was the football field. Now, they have some disc golf cages in a course. Some people ride dirt bikes here. I have seen families fly kites because there are no overhead power lines or trees. No one does a lot to maintain it. Some volunteers mow the disc golf path. Once in a while the city mows the front edge by the street. In June, depending on the weather, there is a family that cuts the field and bales it into huge round bales of "hay". I guess they have cattle to feed in the winter. It is not planted to any particular grass or plant, but whatever Mother Nature allows to grow. Yesterday, it began. The city mowed the front edge, then a tractor, front end loader machine came in and began the cutting. Maybe it is called a swather. I do not have many pollen allergies as a general rule, but whatever is over there, plus the cottonwood that is floating in the air, is making my eyes itch this year as it is being cut. The people who cut it do so after they work all day. I believe they are members of our volunteer fire department. It does make a lot of sense to have it cut down before the fireworks go on sale for Independence Day. It would make an awful fire.. That is just more of life in our little community. I do not remember seeing so many cottonwood seeds previous to this year. The fluff is everywhere. That is likely because of all the extra moisture we had this year.
We live across from a cow pasture.
@Bensen32 (3953)
@Tampa_girl7 I have to say I don't think I would like that very much LOL
@Tampa_girl7 That could be a problem depending on the humidity and the direction of the wind. ;-)
I would often visit my grandparents. Their home was surrounded by pasture and cows, but not too many. So @Tampa_girl7 I would probably feel right at home. What kind of cattle do they have. I do not think I would like to live across from a feed lot, though.
@didinedhia (7584)
• Algeria
The weather here is too hot
I hope you have ways to keep cool.
• Algeria
@GardenGerty hmmmm just ac what works
@didinedhia I have not used my ac much this year, so far.
@moonandstars (17068)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
There is so many pollen in the grass.
The field seems to have a lot of yellow sweet clover as well. Cottonwood trees, when they go to seed, make balls of cotton like fluff that is everywhere.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@GardenGerty Yes, that's a nice sight but, harming.
@moonandstars Hard for people with breathing problems.
i feel fer ya, hon. the hubs planted some'f those here years 'go (they're still here...), 'pposedly cottonless. surprise!! they aint 'n that fluffy schtuff whilst purty to see floatin' 'round'n the winds aint so kind to the allergies. i'm glad they're balin' that versus jest leavin 'such lie. critters (cows 'n horses) do best'n a variety 'f grasses. i'd sure not wish a fire that close to the house. 'f course, i wish they'd ban fireworks period. there'd be other, less noisy 'n destructive choices these days.
I have not ever seen anyone shooting off in the field, but I know accidents can happen. I think the grass is still too wet. There is the tall yellow sweet clover out there, and I read that it has to dry really well before being baled for animals because it gets mold that is toxic to them.
@GardenGerty yer fortunate not to've 'em doin' such. i've a time with the city slickers out here shootin' that crap off 'n not jest fer the 4th 'f july... terrorizes the horses 'n most oft, there's remnants 'f the fireworks'n their corrals, once'n top 'f my hay barn. nope, not a happy gal 'n they caught the wrath! yes ma'am, gotta be careful with that hay regardless 'f the grass/wheat/clover, etc type. that'd be why good producers're mighty picky 'bout moisture content 'n check't oft prior 'n durin' balin'. the mold'll kill a horse, make a cow sick. seems goats'd be all that can get by with eatin' such.
@crazyhorseladycx They are letting it dry, but it keeps raining at night.
The cottonwood seeds were everywhere about one month ago, now I am still removing some that are stuck on the fence and other areas. We have an open field with a small brook in front of our house, a vineyard behind. It's pretty quiet here.
I love being so rural. White fluffy is everywhere. Clumped in the grass.
@GardenGerty I could never go back to live in a city.
@LadyDuck For the last forty years or so I have always had large properties and few neighbors. This is the best.
@TheSojourner (22291)
I love photos of farm equipment. I am glad to hear that the community gets together to keep things taken care of. More communities need to come together in this way.
That is a good thing about this tiny town. A bad thing is that they also know every body's business and can be very gossipy and negative. A group of us have started having coffee on Wednesday mornings at a local bakery.
@GardenGerty That is what would bother me about tiny towns.
@TheSojourner Went for coffee this morning, and my friend introduced me to a gal at another table, because I know her mom. She says "Oh, you're the one in the duplex". My house was the ONLY duplex in town. It is no longer a duplex, but that is how I am known.
Good morning.Interesting story here.you had a lot of rain lately?
May broke a 70 year record for rain.School was cancelled one day because of it. We are having just a little now in June.
@GardenGerty We had plenty of rain this year.rain coming in tomorrow.
@amadeo We have had thunderstorms two nights this week.
@Bensen32 (3953)
That is nice that someone at least takes care of it now and then. Wouldn't be good to be way over grown.
No, cause the snakes love to be there. Also rabbits, birds of all kinds and sometime coyote, fox, and deer.
@Bensen32 (3953)
@GardenGerty Well, The animals need somewhere to live since we have taken over so much of their land they have to go some where right?
@Bensen32 Right, and it is fine with me. It keeps me entertained.
When we bale natural pasture that hasn't been sown to anything special, we call it 'meadow hay'. I'm sorry about your hay fever.
It only seems to really act up while they are actively cutting. Now I have a name for this--meadow hay--and that sounds really lovely to me.
@GardenGerty I hadn't thought about it really but it is a nice name, isn't it?
So sorry your allergies are acting up. We had cottonwood fluffy stuff floating all over in our last neighborhood, but not in this one.
This is the first year I have seen it this bad. My eyes only bothered me while they were actively cutting. They are not doneyet, though.
I am surrounded by hay fields. My 5 acres are the woods.
Lots to see there in the woods. I miss that about visiting my grandparents.
We live across from another house but one that is far from the road and in the summer not even visible.
I have one next door neighbor, behind a tree row. On the other side is a vacant house. The block behind me has some busy people but not annoying. I have trees back there and can only barely see the house that is occupied. All this open area in front of me is very restful.
It is a good idea to cut it now before the fireworks
They have not been back yet, and now it has rained again. I am sure they will get it done.