Does your supermarket have an autism-friendly period?

Bunbury, Australia
The photo shows a small portion of a business window in Trim, County Meath, Ireland. Each notice suggests ways in which a business could make their place more accessible for those with disabilities. Some are very common already such as installing ramps as well as steps or making toilets wheelchair-friendly. Others include raised buttons to help the visually impaired and placing buttons for ATMs and parking meters at lower levels accessible to those in wheelchairs. However the one that impressed me the most, and which has already been implemented in many grocery stores in the areas, is having an autism-friendly atmosphere one evening a week. In-store music is toned right down, lights are very subdued and even the check-out noises are softened. I guess one evening a week may not seem like much but at least it’s a start. Do you know of this in your region?
@Gillygirl (31051)
• Sutton, England
What a wonderful idea! I have never seen anything like this in the UK
My son wasn't all that impressed as it was only for a few hours once a week but it is certainly a start.
@Gillygirl (31051)
• Sutton, England
@JudyEv It is a wonderful initiative!
A few places in the UK have trialled it. Our local Asda, among others, did it. I'm sure others have done the same. It's usually been a couple of hours at a time and is always successful.
@sissy15 (6681)
That's actually really impressive. I wish they had that in the stores here. My son isn't autistic but he has sensory processing disorder and when there is too much noise he gets overwhelmed and loud and busy stores can really be a pain to take him into at times but his isn't severe thankfully and his sensory issues have been getting better but I can only imagine what it's like being autistic and having to deal with that or being a parent with autistic children and having to go to the store with them by yourself and having to deal with meltdowns on top of shopping. Our stores don't do anything like that. I like seeing stores that take the time to think about all of their customers and not just the "normal" ones.
I'm sure many appreciate the lowered sensory input. It's a great idea.
@sissy15 (6681)
@JudyEv It is a great idea but I doubt many stores in the US will get on board with it especially not where I'm at.
@sissy15 I guess there would need to be a public push for it.
@Janet357 (17131)
i just saw it here in your post. wish some establishments would also implement this rule.
It's very responsible of the stores, isn't it?
@raveeen (1789)
That's a wonderful idea, it will be a big help especially for those who really need this, thank yo for sharing this
You're welcome. I was a bit astonished to see this but like you, I think it is a great idea.
@raveeen (1789)
@JudyEv Yea it is a really great idea and you're great because you shared this to us,.
@raveeen Thanks. Maybe we can all help spread the idea in other areas.
@arunima25 (20569)
• Bangalore, India
That's such a good start. I wish there were many more such starts across the world. My country sadly is not so sensitive to disabilities in public places. Some new establishments are coming with facilities for physical disabilities. But autism and other neuro disorders are still a taboo. A lot needs to be done to sensitize the society and make it inclusive.
It can only happen with ongoing education of the masses so they understand more about disabilities and have more empathy towards those afflicted.
@arunima25 (20569)
• Bangalore, India
@JudyEv Yes. We have just started with it. We are at budding stage. Parents have started being advocates and fighting for rights of such children and adults. I it's a welcoming start.
@arunima25 For sure it is.
@mrki444 (2748)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
Most of stores in Croatia is not autism friendly. Big stores in big City are, but small ones in village are not.
It would be hard for small stores to introduce such changes.
@mrki444 (2748)
• Osijek, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@JudyEv But stores at least embed doors with sensors so they open them self when somebody is close to it. Like in big stores.
@mrki444 Yes, that is probably quite an easy change to make. And installing ramps is often possible too.
I haven't seen anything here directed towards people with autism. It's a good idea.
It's wonderful, isn't it? Hopefully all the stores will want to get on the bandwagon.
@JudyEv That would be good if they do.
@thelme55 (18335)
I only know of that event when we were living in Ireland. Maybe we have that here in Germany but I have no idea.
Perhaps then it has been going a few years. Have you been to Ireland recently?
@thelme55 (18335)
@JudyEv Yes, I think so. No, I have not since we left and returned to Germany. I wish we can go back there again. I still have contacts there and they want me to go and visit them.
@DocAndersen (4613)
wegman's our local grocer actually does something very similar. So cool!!!!
It's a wonderful idea, isn't it?
I haven't seen this in grocery stores but I did read an article about a local restaurant doing an autism-friendly night. I think that is a great idea.
Those with disabilities must miss out on a lot from time to time.
@pumpkinjam (6454)
I know that one local supermarket (well, one in the next town) did do an Autism friendly trial. I'm sure I read that it was successful but I'm not sure if they made it a regular thing. I prefer to shop online and have it delivered. My autistic son will go to the local shop but, although he has come shopping with me and will do if I ask/tell him to, he does not like big supermarkets. Saying that, I don't know if he's just a normal boy who doesn't like shopping or if the size and sensory stimuli is too much for him. Personally, I despise shopping and crowds so I'm quite happy to not do it at all! I am glad to see there are things happening to help people with difficulties, though.
I'm sure many find it challenging to have to cope with a noisy atmosphere when shopping.
@JudyEv If we go at the right time, it can be quiet. It's just knowing the right time - but that's often around the middle of the night! It's still too big and too bright, though.
@pumpkinjam Not many shops here are open 24/7. There are a few in the big cities.
We have nothing like this, but we have every day the autism-friendly atmosphere you describe in our supermarkets. I am always surprised by the noise and the bright lights in the Italian supermarkets, it seems I lost the habit.
That's very good if the environment is quieter all the time. I'm sure people would appreciate it.
@JudyEv Switzerland is a quiet country, many Italians say that "it's too quiet".
@LadyDuck I'm sure there are many who think it is 'just right'. :)
I've never read or heard about such a thing in Germany. I don't suffer from autism but I would also like a quieter atmosphere.
I think many of us would prefer a quieter environment when we're shopping.
@JudyEv I once asked a shop-assistant if the constant playing of Christmas carols didn't drive her crazy. She was surprised. She said she didn't hear the music any more. This is definitely not good for your ears. Constant noise, even if it isn't very loud, is not healthy.
@MALUSE I agree. Vince puts the radio on but then seems to switch off whereas it eventually gets on my nerves. We don't have it one so often now.
@Acefun (1172)
It is corporate social responsibility mission of the supermarket. They are helping the unfortunate children to get some money for their living, making them to have a sense of achievement to the society and reduce unemployment too. In my country, less number of company is willing to hire disability person even though there are discussion between the social welfare body and some small-and-medium size companies. Thus, there are making some home-made soap for sell and having some incentive for doing this activity.
This isn't so much about hiring people with autism but giving them a time when they can shop more comfortably without being distracted by bright lights and loud music.
@Acefun (1172)
@JudyEv The loud sound and music are to attract people to visit their store. It might be their strategy but personally I do not like this environment as I cannot speak with other person and my followers clearly and comfortable. It is uncomfortable to some of us same as those special need person.
@Acefun I think many people would prefer to shop in peace and quiet.
How wonderful is that! I don't know of any grocery stores that have an autism friendly period, but I believe there may be a movie theater or two that have days for sensory sensitive kids.
That's good news about the movie theatres. It's a start at least.
@JudyEv For grocery stores, I would think toning down all that would be good in general all the time .
@much2say I think so too.
• Rustenburg, South Africa
That is so wonderful and a good idea!! All of us can do with less noise around us.
I don't think any of us need the bright lights and loud music. It's possible to shop quite well without them.
• Rustenburg, South Africa
@JudyEv Yes Judy I do agree! But we can only dream of a quiet shopping experience!
@rakski (32239)
It is sad to say that not much has been implemented here though more awareness and information now has been released than before. Many establishments especially supermarket and a few cafe hire person with autism as their staff
That's very good. They excel in some areas. They just need to be given a chance.
@rakski (32239)
@JudyEv true. we need proper information and education. Some of them are very talented
no ma'am, not that i'd be 'ware 'f. sounds wonderful though 's there's so many folks who've troubles with all that - e'en folks with p.t.s.d. could benefit. there's wheelchair access 'n most oft those lowered door opener buttons. i doubt such 'twas done from the businesses hearts, 'tis required by law.
In Australia, I think there are laws about providing ramps and toilets for the disabled but that's about it.
@JudyEv yes ma'am, we're the same.
@banksim (3103)
good initiative and every one should follow this trend
It would be nice to see it become a global initiative.
@banksim (3103)
@JudyEv yes off course
@stapllotik (1346)
That's impressive. I've not seen such set up in my country.
It would be nice to see it become more worldwide.
@JudyEv touchwood