Why do people leave dogs and children in a hot cars?

Photo by Pat Z Anthony
@PatZAnthony (13910)
Charlotte, North Carolina
There are so many reports of people leaving dogs and children in hot cars that certainly everyone here has heard about these issues. We have made some reports when noticing these things and one time it was an adult with Alzheimer's Disease left behind. The husband said the wife was just too confused to take into the store. What? So there she sat in the heat. Animals, children, adults all deserve to be taken care of properly. Have you had these things happen where you live?
yeah and it is illegal here to break car windows to free them
I cannot imagine that! And is it legal to call a cop?¡
@CarolDM (36437)
@NJChicaa Actually there are at least 16 states now that allow you to rescue dogs left in cars. And most states say if you see imminent danger with kids in cars, you do whatever is necessary to get them out.
@Gillygirl (35923)
• Sutton, England
I have heard of dogs being left in cars but not adults or children
@CarolDM (36437)
That happens a lot here, people leave their babies strapped in their seats. Just horrible. They cannot survive in a locked up car with this heat. Many are in such a hurry and stay on their phones, they forget their little babies.
There have been children die in Australia through being left in hot cars and not just one or two either. I'd say there are a few every summer.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@JudyEv Here too and way too often.
Not here, but I have heard a lot of it happen in the US. Probably it is because people have more cars. Who knows!? But I have never heard of a child here dying from heat.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We have had way too many happen here @marguicha where the parent stated they forgot the sleeping child was in the car. Really sad.
@PatZAnthony It is a shame. I hope the culprit ends up in jail for a long time. I can´t buy the sentence 'I forgot'.
There is so much information and notices given about this but it still keeps happening. It is really criminal.
@Dena91 (5970)
Exactly. I wish the laws would be automatic life in prison with no parole.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@JudyEv It is a mess here but guessing it happens everywhere. Are people so ignorant they don't see the harm they do to their pets or family members!
20h
@PatZAnthony Some have somehow 'forgotten' they have a child in the back. It's unbelievable really.
because they're too stupid to be entrusted with a living being. yea,some woman was arrested a couple of weeks ago for leaving 2 dogs in a car. the cops and fire department up here don't take kindly at all to that.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Exactly right Scarlet
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
@scarlet_woman It is such a hurtful thing to happen to a living creature. How could some be so uncaring.
@CarolDM (36437)
Yes over and over again it happens for many reasons. They always say they forgot.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes, no one has said they did it on purpose. We have read stories we we really felt the parent just forgot @CarolDM It's so sad.
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The why of it is something I cannot excuse or forgive
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is so terrible here, but guessing it happens in many places. Hope you are doing well!
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
21h
@PatZAnthony Yes okay thank you Pat you too.
@sophie09 (12625)
nope here. parents should never do this
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Some might think they will just run in for a quick minute but you know the family or pet is suffering during that time @sophie09
@sophie09 (12625)
@PatZAnthony yes. this been happening a lot there isnt it?
@porwest (17347)
I can never understand this either. It just seems like common sense to me. But...still..this sort of thing happens all the time.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Yes @porwest it does happen all the time. Not sure how we can stop this.
@porwest (17347)
@PatZAnthony Unless someone can figure out how to fix stupid, I think we are doomed to keep on hearing about this sort of thing.
It is all too common here as well and it makes no sense at all.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It seems we hear about these things on a weekly basis and I can't wrap my head around it. We understand sometimes people make a mistake, but too many seem to be by choice @BelleStarr
@PatZAnthony If the alarms that they sell there really isn't any excuse for even one to die in a car.
@LeaPea2417 (26081)
• Toccoa, Georgia
People just don't think when they do this.
@tammys85 (15511)
• Baltimore, Maryland
Good question. I think some people either don't care or they're that irresponsible, and I'm putting it nicely.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Maybe some really do forget @tammys85 that a sleeping child is in the car. I has to be a terrible thing to experience.
@sol_cee (20107)
• Japan
Too confused to take into the store? That’s stupid.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
It is @sol_cee We called the store and told them what was happening, gave car info and sat with person. Said we would call cops in a few minutes if no one came. Husband returned, upset with us, upset with security, but we have services here that will help so you can shop OR DELIVER what you need so person not left alone.
@Starkinds (8137)
This is so unfair. People just want to carry but forget to care them.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Many might just forget @Starkinds It is hard to know and not something I would not want to experience.
They should serve in jail for their mistake. Why bother bringing them if you can't take them to the Mall.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
That is a good point @Letranknight2015 Here we have services that will deliver products for you or sit with loved ones so you can run errands, so why not use these?
Yes, and I can't stand it. I saw it just the other day..luckily the owner was nearby though. I have called the police before when I have seen it.
@PatZAnthony (13910)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
We raise a fuss when we have too b/c a life is at risk. Some don't appreciate this and this we should just go away @snowy22315
@Ladanger (8997)
They should leave the air conditioner on in the car and keep the car on. Atleast for pets and adults like that. A child is no excuse. Sometimes when i stay in the car i make sure the air conditioner is on. I would never be sitting in the heat.
@moonandstars (20872)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
15h
It's now and then on news and, during summer. It's not our local people but turists and, I don't know what to say. They are maybe either tired of journey or became to immersed into something else. But, that's not an excuse.
I have not witnessed this, thank goodness, but I suppose there are a wide variety of reasons why far too many people make this huge mistake.