Oil leak.

Walnut Creek, California
My beloved 2008 Nissan Xterra (an SUV built on a truck frame) has an oil leak. Today I gave up on buying quarts and bought a five quart "jug" of oil and will keep adding oil until I can get it fixed. I have no idea whether the leak is in any way related to the accident I was in up in Montana. I had thought the damage to my car was only cosmetic. Send some prayers up to the Mechanic and Body Shop Gods for me.
@UncleJoe (15044)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
You don't say how much oil you're losing but make sure it's not dripping on a hot manifold of exhaust pipe. I don't know how hard your collision was but I doubt that the leak has anything to do with that. Oil leaks tend to spring up from hardened gaskets caused by expansion and contraction from extreme temperature changes.
• Walnut Creek, California
That was my hunch too. The vehicle is 11 years and 233,000 miles old. I would expect some of the gaskets to harden. The leak seems "down low." Nothing hot getting oiled.
@UncleJoe (15044)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@TheHorse This could easily be a simple fix. With that many miles the first thing I would do would be to slide under it and retighten all the oil pan bolts. They tend to cause the first leaks.
• Walnut Creek, California
@UncleJoe Is that something I can do without lifting the car off the ground? Going from 5W30 to 10W40 actually slowed the leakage. That makes me think it is a gasket or bolt issue, and not something major.
@myklj999 (31401)
• Olney, Illinois
Hopefully just a bad gasket somewhere
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. Great minds... The truck is 233,000 miles old, and some other gaskets have dried up.
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
Depending on the model of the car, "just a bad gasket" can get pretty involved and expensive as it means disconnecting lots of stuff under the hood. I've learned that lesson well with my Subaru. NO cheap fixes with Subaru leaks. I hope Nissan's are more cooperative for his sake.
@myklj999 (31401)
• Olney, Illinois
@Raelove I've had to replace head gaskets, oil pan gaskets (where I had to loosen the motor mounts and jack the engine up to remove the oil pan) and various others that were a total pain, but were still much cheaper than replacing the engine or the entire vehicle.
@HazySue (32149)
Hope they listen to my prayer for your car. Love the little finger made sign on your car and the flip flop feet shining through.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. I was wondering when I'd use that photo for something. Horse Jr. at it again.
@HazySue (32149)
• Walnut Creek, California
@HazySue I'm not washing the right side of my car right now because I want all of the "evidence" to be there when I get the fender/quarter panel (whatever the heck it's called) fixed.
I hope you can get it fixed soon.
• Walnut Creek, California
I tried today, but they were too busy. I just bought the new oil and went to work.
@FourWalls (20928)
• Louisville, Kentucky
Oh, I’m so sorry. Nothing worse than when the trusty wheels start going south on you. I actually cried when I had to trade in Dooley. Hope you can find the cause and repair it!
• Walnut Creek, California
I think we will be able to.
Prayers go up there to those gods in charge of mechanics and body shops!!
• Walnut Creek, California
Thank you!
@vandana7 (72139)
I hope the mechanic was a Hindu. Today is a holiday for Hindus so...Pony would have to struggle one more day...Evil Grin.
@FourWalls (20928)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@vandana7 — why you wanna kick a pony when he’s down?
I hope its nothing serious. Keep it well fed.
• Walnut Creek, California
That's what I'm doing. The oil I got today was a tad thicker than what I've been using.
@TheHorse Could have leaky valves, or the oil pan plug is leaking, or it could be simple like the filter is loose. What do I know, I am a landlady.
@vandana7 (72139)
With the horse, you need to worry about the other person's welfare.
We used to laugh about Vin's old car. We'd say he'd take it to the service station and ask them to fill it up - with oil. Hope the repairs are minor.
• Walnut Creek, California
I remember people actually filling up cars...and even checking the oil...from my childhood days. My dad was always friendly with the service station guys. Thanks. I'm an optimist. But the data seem to support my optimism right now. The car drives fine, and I got my usual 20.5 mpg on my trip to Montana.
@1creekgirl (17627)
Hope it doesn't turn to be too costly.
• Walnut Creek, California
I have some funds set aside, so I should be OK.
Hope that oil leak isn't something costly.
• Walnut Creek, California
My hunch is that it's just a dried up gasket somewhere.
Good luck there on the outcome.
• Walnut Creek, California
Thank you, Alfredo.
@rakski (36875)
Hoping that it can be fixed soon
• Walnut Creek, California
Thanks. I bought thicker oil today. Well see if that slows the leak.
@rakski (36875)
@TheHorse good luck then
• Walnut Creek, California
@rakski It's working so far.
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
I have a 2004 Subaru Outback Wagon, and it has both a leaking head gasket and a leaking oil cover gasket. So I'm creating quite the stain on the asphalt where I park. I cannot afford to fix either, as we're talking into the thousands of dollars here, and the car's too old for that. Hope your fix isn't too bad or expensive.
• Walnut Creek, California
Thanks. I'm hoping that the gaskets are just getting old and rotting and that it's easy to replace them. The "head gasket" sounds expensive, even though I don't know exactly what it is.
@Raelove (18292)
• Saco, Maine
@TheHorse From what I've learned, replacing gaskets always involves removing the engine parts they're attached to. It can be minimal, depending on where they're located on the engine, or it can be extensive. With Subaru's, everything is so hard to get at that it almost always is extensive. Which is why I can't fix my leaks! Good luck with your car!
• Walnut Creek, California
@Raelove Thanks. I'm at the mercy of my fix-it place.
Hope it gets fixed! Cars and trucks are such a hassle at times!
• Walnut Creek, California
Can't live without 'em in California.
@TheHorse nor here
• Walnut Creek, California
@snowy22315 Where is you?
@BarBaraPrz (24174)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Way back when, our van had an oil leak, so he just started using a heavier grade of oil...
• Walnut Creek, California
I was actually wondering about that! Did it work?
@BarBaraPrz (24174)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse It still leaked but not as much.
• Walnut Creek, California
@BarBaraPrz That's what I'm experiencing now.
@stringer321 (4311)
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
I also had a problem with oil leak, it turned out oil was leaking into the water system (water had a leak too) I bought a new engine and other parts for a 8400 ILS. Ummm...that was one of my highest salaries that went straight to the car. I suggest you better check the water system too. If you see the water is dirty inside the water tank, with something green or black or brown, it can be oil.
• Walnut Creek, California
I checked the water. It is clear as a mountain stream. Well...clear, anyway.
• Kiryat Ata, Israel
@TheHorse that is good, so you won't need to ride your horse. :-) Assuming the horse is yours.
• Israel
@TheHorse Clever idea the jug of oil I hope it all gets sorted out.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm sure I'll write about it. Shabbat Shalom! (It's Saturday the 14th here now.)
• Israel
@TheHorse Thanks and Shabbat is over so I will wish you a Shavua Tov which is a good week.
• Denver, Colorado
Hello, I am a mechanic first and a computer-pro second... I would suggest taking some pictures and / or video of the leak start where it is hitting the ground and look up... lol... we need plenty of light of course. I am really good at following oil leaks to their source. I would not tighten any bolts as you might do more harm and cause a new leak. I have a co-worker with and Xtera so if I need to I can look at his to compare and I believe we could narrow this down. follow the areas that are washed clean. motor oil has detergents that will wash off any grease leaving a clear bright trail that leads back to the source. Sometimes oil will follow a line or hose from one area to a completely different area. Transmission cooler lines can accommodate that trick as an example. shoot a couple of pics of the damage too and I can tell if it's related... I am totally new and this is my first post, I signed up because I read your story and would hate to see you ruin an engine or worse have a fire or what have you... We could even do a live video thing if need be.... Marc side story... I fixed a jeep one time where someone had hooked up the PCV hose to the wrong port essentially disabling it and the oil seemed to be coming from everywhere, a huge mess underneath but up top seemed dry??? reconnecting the hose to the correct vacuum port totally fixed her issue.
• Walnut Creek, California
Thanks for the info! There's no "oil smell" when I drive, so it's not coming into contact with any hot parts of the engine. Switching from 10W30 to 10W40 DID slow the leak, though it's still there.
• Walnut Creek, California
Welcome aboard, by the way. If you're "conversational" you'll have fun here.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
I hope its not a big repair. It could be from the accident. My daughter slid into a guardrail on ice one time and thought the same thing. A couple of years later her tranny started leaking. The mechanic said it had slightly bent the metal line and that caused it to break over time.
• Walnut Creek, California
Thanks for the info. I'll have them check the innards" before I do the cosmetic repair.
@wolfgirl569 (22072)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheHorse Better to be safe.
May be it's not a big deal, good luck.
• Walnut Creek, California
My hunch is that it's gaskets...not a major thing. I still got 20.50 mpg on the way to and from Montana.
@TheHorse Your car has an oil leakage, not a gas leakage.