Tear down those walls

Some of my friends may know that our house was actually a duplex. A duplex is two joined full residences. We use both sides of our home. Not long after moving in, hubby made a doorway between the two kitchens, to join the house on both sides. He has been sick or too busy off and on since then and has not done any more. For my Christmas gift he was to open up the front part and join them, but had not done so. I finally got him motivated. He wants me to go to a car show with him next Saturday. I told him I did not want to because he will not do what I want and open up some more walls. Yesterday he got started. The two rooms at the front of our house will be joined by a wide doorway. One side will be a dining area mostly. The other is the sitting room, or living room, or some people and countries call it the lounge. It will make it easier for us as we will not be constantly meeting in the doorway between the kitchens. The heating will be more uniform as well. It may be a little late, but I am finally getting my Christmas gift.
This makes it a little more like a single residence.
It really makes it a lot more like a single home. I would like to continue with working inside in the winter and then get the outside things done when the weather is nice.
You really will enjoy your home even more now.
It is going to be more functional.
@myklj999 (38643)
• Olney, Illinois
I did something along those lines with an old house trailer I used to own...took out the walls for the first bedroom to make a larger living room area
I have seen people do this with three small bedrooms and such.
@Alexandoy (23774)
• Cainta, Philippines
Merging the duplex would make for a big house. Nice one.
It has small rooms but yes, it increases the value as the kitchen will be good size and I have both a laundry room and a pantry.
@Alexandoy (23774)
• Cainta, Philippines
@GardenGerty we could have bought a house like your description of the duplex but there was a snag in the arrangement with the stingy owner.
@Alexandoy I am sorry that happened for you.
I am glad that he was finally motivated to do the work.
I think sometimes it is that he lacks confidence.
@GardenGerty It is possible, this is a hard work to do alone.
@LadyDuck He knows more about cars than houses.
That's good news. I'm sure you can't wait for the renovations to be finished.
I do not think all the renovations will ever be completely finished. My house is my hobby it seems.
@GardenGerty It is a good hobby to have.
@JudyEv I know I could have worse.
@rakski (44741)
that is good. You will now have one big house
Yes. It is all the space I need, but does need to be organized.
@rakski (44741)
@GardenGerty I hope you can organize it soon
@bunnybon7 (44352)
• Holiday, Florida
your house sounds wonderful. sounds like you can design it over time to be exactly what you want.
We are taking a lot of design steps, as you say. I have been buying new cupboards to make an entire storage wall.
@bunnybon7 (44352)
• Holiday, Florida
@GardenGerty oh it all sounds so wonderful like a dream come true. you are so wise to buy that place
@bunnybon7 We were able to get it very cheaply.
Funny how easy it is to get them motivated if they think they want something
Yes, and when I stand my ground.
I suppose standing your ground isn't always as easy to do as it sounds @GardenGerty
@rebelann I had a similar issue with my first husband, and I just had to eventually tell him I would do it myself. He got busy quickly then.
@Raelove (19589)
• Saco, Maine
In the town I grew up in, two-storey duplexes were common. My family occupied half of one from 1955-1989...kitchen/living room on the first floor, 3 bedrooms upstairs. Before then, many of the duplexes on our street had been 4-apartment units, 2 up, 2 down. Over time, new owners came in and remodelled them into 2 side-by-side units. I've never heard of owning and living in a duplex and using both sides. You learn something new everyday, as my mother would have said. I'm glad it's all working out better for you since your "remodel."
Thirty five years ago we (my first husband and I) bought a two storey duplex. Actually it originally was a single family Victorian circa 1908. It was run as a boarding house at one time, then small apartments with a shared bathroom up and one down. Then a one bedroom ground floor apartment two bedroom upstairs, then we bought it and tore out the upstairs kitchen, making a large bedroom. Family room, two more bedrooms, full bath up. Downstairs bedroom became a dining room, and we had a living room and office. It was about 2400 sq. ft. This house was built in 1930 and the bedrooms are small but have built in storage over the closets. Two full baths. No dining room and the kitchens were small. So were the laundry rooms. We chose the best configured laundry room for the laundry. Put a chest freezer and shelves in the other laundry. Still working on the kitchens but it is nice to have everything on one floor as I age.
@Raelove (19589)
• Saco, Maine
@GardenGerty Yes, that would make sense, as stairs become more challenging as we get older. The duplexes I mentioned were all built some time in the 1930's to provide housing for mill workers. There were 10 identical ones on my street. At first, they were all composed of the 4 apartments, and subsequent owners reduced all of the to 2 side-by-side units. To this day, 6 of them remain. Two were torn down when the church down the street expanded its parking lot, and two others were totally transformed into apartment buildings with flat roofs. There is another amusing little fact about them that I will write about in a separate post. I'm glad your remodel is working out well for you. Never hurts to have enough space to be able to reorganize and make life easier!
@Raelove I did read your next post.
@Nevena83 (39816)
• Serbia
I'm glad you finally get what you wanted.
I am glad I found a way to get him to start.
@Nevena83 (39816)
• Serbia
@GardenGerty I believe you. Men are sometimes lazy for some jobs.
@Nevena83 We had to come to an agreement about how much to remove. I also have to let him do it his way.
Im glad hes finally doing it for you
I am sure he will be glad when it is done. I have to let him do it his own way at his own speed.
@GardenGerty goodluck waiting.
It is great that you got your Christmas gift ! Your hubby seems to be one of those men who can turn their hand to anything.
Well, not everything, but he is a good sport about at least attempting to do things. We had to agree first on how much we would remove.
dang, i wish such worked 'round here, lol. so glad he's finally gettin' this tended, hon. jest makes more sense 'n better use 'f space with 'em joined.
It certainly will be much better flow.
@Lushlala (1456)
• Gaborone, Botswana
That's definitely a Christmas present worth the weight! You're so lucky your husband can do all that.
He is not fast but he is thorough.
@moonandstars (29430)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
It's never too late. I'm glad he got motivated
He was very sick last year. I am glad he is well enough and motivated to do it.
@CarolDM (59006)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Sounds like a great idea.
It is, and it is okay that we have waited as we "got acquainted" with the house and our patterns to see what we really wanted.
Glad you are getting that done Heather.
Yes, finally. I am actually glad he is well enough to do this.
@wolfgirl569 (27123)
• Marion, Ohio
That will make it a lot nicer.
Yes, it will and I am looking forward to it.
@BarBaraPrz (26003)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
It may be late for Christmas 2019, but real' early for Christmas 2020.
We may be working on it all year.