A new generation emerges

Bunbury, Australia
It’s that time of year again when joey kangaroos start popping their heads out of the doe’s pouches. There is plenty of grass around and the days are mostly warm and sunny. I am waiting to get a video of a baby taking its first hops but in previous years, the action has always been too far away. Hopefully, this year… Regular readers can miss the next bit but for those who don’t know much about kangaroos, the embryos are born the size of a jellybean. They have no hair, no ears and are blind. They claw their way up the stomach of the doe to get to the pouch. She licks the fur to make it easier for them but doesn’t give any other assistance. Once in the pouch, the joey attaches itself to a teat which expands to hold it safe. After about six months, it starts to emerge from the pouch. For a few weeks prior to this, it sticks its head out from time to time. Let’s hope I’m lucky this year in getting some decent videos.
I look forward to seeing that. Kangaroos are interesting animals.
I shot a few seconds last year but the roos were a bit far away.
I hope it will be better this year @JudyEv maybe even close enough to get a video from one of your windows, wildlife photography is so darn iffy.
@rebelann Because this one doe has become so used to being around the house, I'm hoping she'll let the baby out nearby.
This young one is funny. I know that they are really very small when they move inside the pouch and they grow inside there before coming out to meet the world.
It's quite amazing really but it must work as there are dozens of joeys each year.
@JudyEv They are surely a lot more protected during the early stage of their life.
Interesting ! This post fills the gap in my knowledge of how a joey kangaroo is born and fed in the pouch.
Haha. I'm glad I was able to fill a gap in your knowledge. Have a great day.
@JudyEv Thank you ! You never cease to surprise me by all sorts of knowledge,such as plants, animals and endurance ride.
@changjiangzhibin89 I am sure you could surprise me too with some of the things you know that I don't.
@UncleJoe (18900)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
I'm wondering if I should be offended that my mama named me after a kangaroo.
Not offended, Uncle Joe. I'd say more like flattered!!
@kobesbuddy (108389)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv His mother knew he'd eventually be hopping around on My Lot!
@oahuwriter (16326)
At least they're not perturbed about covid. Nice to see nature remind us everything is going to be OK, one day.
We have had no new cases for some weeks. Anyone coming into the country goes straight into quarantine.
@oahuwriter (16326)
@JudyEv I see. Things are changing about tourism. Just today Give. wants to reopen fully tourism on OCT. 5, but with testing before tourist board plane, so far is known.
@LindaOHio (47063)
What a cute photo! I'm always pleased to see what you see every day! It's so unusual for us in the States!
We still marvel at them ourselves. Until we moved here we just saw them occasionally crossing the road or in wildlife parks or whatever.
@Ronrybs (10447)
• London, England
Sounds a convoluted start to life!
Pretty marvellous, isn't it? She might become pregnant again almost immediately but can hold the new embryo in suspension for a while if she wants to. She can do this is conditions are bad too - drought, etc. It all blows my mind sometimes.
@sallypup (40558)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thank you for the fascinating post and adorable photo.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. The joey was eating grass when it was within reach.
ack! i missed 't 'gain. danged the luck, but't least can 'dmire yer pic 'f such. i've fingers crossed tightly that'cher able to finally get that video ya wish. i seriously need to spring/summer here'n then spring/summer there :)
Here is the link: It's not very good but you can see why I'd love to get a better one.
Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
@crazyhorseladycx I'm glad you liked it and thanks for subscribing. It used to be easy to put up a slideshow but YouTube stopped offering slideshows so now I need to learn a new way. I'm certainly hoping to get better footage this season. There is a short clip of two bucks fighting too.
@JudyEv jest loved 'em! would'a subscribed long 'go if'n i'd 'nly known, lol. there's software (free) that'cha can get to make slide shows 'nto a video format, then put'n youtube. the son recommended open shot video editor to me. did the 1st'un without a hitch 'n 've failed since then. their tutes meanin'less to my lil pea brain.
@FayeHazel (33953)
Wow. Fascinating animal. Here I thought they were born into the pouch or something. Amazing that the tiny thing has to crawl in there
It's the same for most pouched animals I think. Your opossum does the same but has more babies than teats so some miss out and die.
@FayeHazel (33953)
@JudyEv I'm learning so many things. I didn't know opossum have pouch too. I did have to look it up to discover that male kangaroo have no pouch (I guess that makes sense)... Oh dear..... about the possum :/
@FayeHazel I'm sure you know lots of other cool stuff so don't worry too much.
@nawala123 (18287)
They joey looks joyful
He was enjoying the sunshine too.
@nawala123 (18287)
@JudyEv i want to touch them
@nawala123 They have the most beautifully soft fur.
@JimBo452020 (22603)
• Montrose, Scotland
That's a cool looking Kangaroo Judy. It's really hard to believe that they start out so small. I hope you get the video you so wish for.
No wonder it's survival of the fittest when just getting started is such a challenge.
@JimBo452020 (22603)
• Montrose, Scotland
@JudyEv I can imagine, Amazing creatures, and clever, or at least Skippy was
@JimBo452020 I don't think you should believe all you learnt about roos from Skippy!
@kobesbuddy (108389)
• East Tawas, Michigan
Oh my gosh, this is so interesting, Judy! I've always wondered how those precious little babies got inside that pouch:) Now I realize, they get in from within their mommies tummy. I'm so glad you explained this, a new lesson I just learned
I researched opossums and they do the same but they have about a dozen teats in their pouch. They have more babies than that but the ones that don't make it to a teat perish. Nature is amazing, isn't it? I'm glad you found it interesting.
@kobesbuddy (108389)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@JudyEv I remember trying to get the tiny pup to latch on, but it wouldn't. The healthy pups had no problem whatsoever, finding their food!
@DocAndersen (28068)
i have seen photos of this, but would love someday to see it in person!
We will be seeing lots of heads from now on.
@DocAndersen (28068)
@JudyEv it is the season yeah?
@DocAndersen Yes, warm sunny days and less rain.
@moonandstars (43382)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
so cute all that growing up
There will be a lot of joeys hopping around soon.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@JudyEv i'm sure they will
@rakski (59322)
nice photo. Now I learn something new
I have learnt a lot on here.
@rakski (59322)
@JudyEv oh yes, me too.
Wow, they start out tiny.
It's amazing to me that they find their way into a pouch. It's like all the odds are stacked against them.
@JudyEv it really does.
@CarolDM (95108)
How adorable that little joey is peeking.
This one is having breakfast in bed! lol
@CarolDM (95108)
@JudyEv Aww that is too sweet.
@msdivkar (15236)
Thanks for the information. There are no kangaroos here and I have not seen one live except in photos or videos.
There are some in zoos in other countries. I don't know how well they cope with humidity but they live in very hot areas here.
@msdivkar (15236)
@JudyEv I have visited some zoos long time ago and do not remember to have seen one. You are right they may be breeding in particular climatic conditions. They are also not seen here in India despite it is very hot here.
That is so cute! How could anyone not love a joey in the pouch?
We are always told that, if you hit a 'roo with your car, you should always check the pouch for a joey.
@JudyEv Oh, my!