Leave A Little Something For Everyone

@porwest (38981)
Granted, making money here is not the primary aim, nor should it be. But if interaction is they key, then why not leave a little something for everyone? The thing is, we all have different interests. But one thing we all have in common is that we seek interaction. I love to talk about money and politics. But I know there are only certain people who share those interests with me. And so if that is all I post about, I will likely have fewer people engage with me than I would like. So, I change it up a bit, and I leave a little something for everyone. One post is about saving money, another is about what I made for dinner, another is about my drive through experience, another is about something that happened at work, another is about an unexpected bill, another is about a great find on Amazon... It leaves something of interest for anyone who visits my profile, and I do know there are some posters here I would probably interact with more (and want to), but even though I am fairly active here, I still have limited time. The more variety, the more interest, the more interaction...I just think it is better for the site and better for everyone who plays here. Just my two cents, for whatever that is worth.
• Mt. Vernon, New York
I believe that in a few ways but Politics I am trying to stay away from it. I love all the food right now because I want more frugal meals.
@porwest (38981)
Politics is more important than most people are aware of, and we need to be able to discuss it. I look at the dismal state of the inner cities and often wonder, if these people talked more about politics maybe the inner cities would actually get somewhere. Instead they are cesspools loaded with crime, poverty, and destitution for which most of these people will never be able to escape... Because time and time again they know NOTHING about politics, how it affects their lives, and they vote time and time again for failure and then complain about their failure.
• Mt. Vernon, New York
@porwest I am blessed that I am not involved in politics for the most part online and that offline I can speak freely with a few others about my views. Politics even on here has brought out the worst in people. I have to live for me and no politics online works for me. Just like not giving up on getting my life changed is best for me.
@porwest (38981)
@sharon6345 It only brings out the worst in immature people. People who think, and can articulate their thoughts, can intelligently converse about things like politics. But I know what you mean. I actually VERY MUCH enjoy talking about politics, and don't mind opposing viewpoints so long as they are presented in an articulate, intelligent way, and so long as things don't get nasty.
@RebeccasFarm (22044)
• Denver, Colorado
I love to talk about survival and people who try to stop you from doing that, but no one seems interested in that part of life
@porwest (38981)
8h
Some people just want to confirm that their struggle is real, as opposed to what it often is in reality—self inflicted. When you cite 'successful' survival stories it makes their excuse for failure moot.
• Denver, Colorado
7h
@porwest Yes the self inflicted suffer the most dont they
@porwest (38981)
5h
@RebeccasFarm And most don't know that they are purveyors of their own misery. lol
I try to do the same. I'm mostly food and politics but I try to mix it up.
@porwest (38981)
No. I think you do a very good job of it. Even when it comes to politics, I am glad we can actually discuss it and even disagree, and still talk about other things in between. I wish there were more like you actually. Because politics is a fun and engaging conversation EVEN WHEN we disagree.
@porwest I have no problem with talking politics with you and others who don't agree with me.
@porwest (38981)
@NJChicaa I know that, and I LOVE that about you.
@thelme55 (63810)
You are right. I write varieties of posts that I hope I get a few if not many people respond on them.
@porwest (38981)
5h
I definitely know which ones fizzle out and which ones will be 'successful,' and it never ceases to amaze me that some of the dumbest and least thought out posts get the most responses. lol
@thelme55 (63810)
1h
@porwest I agree with you.Sometimes I couldn’t understand why a certain dumb post has a lot of response.
@rakski (79719)
you are correct. I normally stay away from politics as we have our different political issues. But if you have variety of posts, more people can be interested, thus starting interaction
@porwest (38981)
Yep. Keeps things well rounded, and makes it easier for someone to find something of interest to interact on.
@rakski (79719)
@moffittjc (93129)
• Gainesville, Florida
Very well said Jim. It's best to try and provide a little something for everyone, to give people a chance to interact with you on things that interest them.
@porwest (38981)
5h
Absolutely true. I kind of think of it like a department store. There's something in them for everyone, and that's why they are so successful.
I agree. I try to mix my posts a bit too and don't like putting up a heap of posts, one after the other, all on the same subject.
@porwest (38981)
Keeping things mixed up certainly helps to bring in more people than one otherwise might if they only stuck to one topic or theme.
I like to post on a variety of ideas too. Writing the same thing is boring and yes, limits interaction.
@porwest (38981)
Definitely true.
@LindaOHio (58184)
I always enjoy reading my online friends' posts -- It allows me to get to know them better.
@porwest (38981)
8h
Same here. A lot of times people think their lives are boring. The thing is, it is not the story itself that is what makes it interesting. It is the way it is presented, and that person's perspective which makes it interesting.
@1creekgirl (24161)
I think you're right. It's much easier to have more interaction when we post a varied topic.
@porwest (38981)
Some will respond to one thing while yet others will respond to another. I think it helps to keep people coming back as well.
@lovebuglena (25870)
• Staten Island, New York
it is definitely a good idea to broaden the topics covered, otherwise people may lose interest. Like if all you write about is what you had for breakfast/lunch/dinner, or about the weather, that can become boring after a while. I was not really into politics until this election. Nice to have someone to talk about it without getting blocked or ignored or be told nasty things...
I guess I do more responding/commenting rather than post . . . but it's not on purpose . . . it just happens that way as I am often limited on time too. I am all over the place when it comes to myLot - I get to what I can get to. I can agree about offering variety . . . though honestly I write whatever comes to mind at the moment without thinking much about the category - most likely just a slice of life.
@kaylachan (13362)
I try to do the same. Usually I talk about the cats or something interesting that happens to me during the day. I know it won't attract everyone, but I tend to attract some. I spend more time responding than creating.