Fire in my oven! I took my favorite guitars outside!
Walnut Creek, California
February 23, 2021 4:20pm CST
As you know, I have been a hyperbole writer for both Donald Trump and Joe Biden for two years. I have made millions, and raised my butler's salary without him even having to ask. Today, I fired up my oven to make some frozen lasagna for lunch. After about 5 minutes, I smelled something strange. When I checked, I discovered that there was a bonfire burning at the bottom of my oven. I thought the following: Should I dump some water on a fat-induced fire in an electric oven? I invite you (even if you are a regstered Republican--buwaahaahaa!) to search the depths of your intellect and let me know what you think my decision was. I grabbed my baking soda from my refrigerator, put out the fire, and then turned on the fan. Then I put my lasagna in the oven. I have been checking my oven every few minutes now to make sure the fire does not re-erupt. Have you ever had a fire in your oven? This is NOT my first time.
18 people like this
• United States
No, I haven't... HOW did you start a fire in your oven? I put one out once when I worked in a KFC. One of the other guys let the bacon for the salad get too hot and it caught on fire. He grabbed a bucket and started filling it with water. I knocked the bucket out of his hand and put the lid on the pan and then pulled the pan off the stove and set it on the concrete floor.
5 people like this
• Cambridge, England
@TheHorse Break it down. 'meta' = 'encountered a' and something that comes from 'phorein' (Greek) = dunno what that means but it sounds foreign So the whole thing obviously means: 'met someone from elsewhere who doesn't speak English' therefore = 'incomprehensibly'.
• Cambridge, England
I have incinerated a number of things in my oven over the years but I've never had actual flames. A lot of smoke, yes, but no flames and I don't really have a way to deal with a fat fire in an electric oven, either, apart from shutting the door and starving it of oxygen. Baking soda is an interesting method. Presumably it generates carbon dioxide when heated (but I thought that was only in the presence of water). WHY, for God's sake, do you keep it in the refrigerator, though??? I have had fat fires on the stove top before now.. A wet tea towel thrown over it seems to work well there.
• Mt. Vernon, New York
@TheHorse I am hoping everyone in this situation finds their most important things if needed. My birth papers and social security cards come before anything in my home. That would be all I would go for. I am glad for all of us to have our most important things.
• Bangalore, India
I never had a fire with flames as you mentioned here. Once my husband reheated some food, a bit of aluminium foil was still there, it burnt, microwave shut down and so did our electric supply to the microwave. We took it out and everything was fine. There was just a small spark.
• Wapello, Iowa
The baking soda was the perfect solution. I wouldn't be surprised if Smokey The Bear gives you a medal for good thinking. How'd the lasagna turn out? Is it safe to take your guitars outside? Aren't the forests, parking lots, walkways, etc always on fire there? I've never had an oven fire. Or a forest fire. Maybe I should move to California.