Fire in my oven! I took my favorite guitars outside!

Walnut Creek, California
As you know, I have been a hyperbole writer for both Donald Trump and Joe Biden for two years. I have made millions, and raised my butler's salary without him even having to ask. Today, I fired up my oven to make some frozen lasagna for lunch. After about 5 minutes, I smelled something strange. When I checked, I discovered that there was a bonfire burning at the bottom of my oven. I thought the following: Should I dump some water on a fat-induced fire in an electric oven? I invite you (even if you are a regstered Republican--buwaahaahaa!) to search the depths of your intellect and let me know what you think my decision was. I grabbed my baking soda from my refrigerator, put out the fire, and then turned on the fan. Then I put my lasagna in the oven. I have been checking my oven every few minutes now to make sure the fire does not re-erupt. Have you ever had a fire in your oven? This is NOT my first time.
@DaddyEvil (33120)
No, I haven't... HOW did you start a fire in your oven? I put one out once when I worked in a KFC. One of the other guys let the bacon for the salad get too hot and it caught on fire. He grabbed a bucket and started filling it with water. I knocked the bucket out of his hand and put the lid on the pan and then pulled the pan off the stove and set it on the concrete floor.
• Walnut Creek, California
If you had mentioned the word "oxygen," would he have been befuddled?
@DaddyEvil (33120)
@TheHorse *sigh* He wasn't stupid, just inexperienced. And no, I'm not sure he would have understood.
• Walnut Creek, California
@myklj999 (53961)
Metaphorically speaking, the fire in my oven burned out long ago.
• Walnut Creek, California
Metaphorically? That is too big a word for me.
@myklj999 (53961)
@TheHorse I stoled it frum a dikshunairy of 50-cent wirds.
@owlwings (43660)
• Cambridge, England
@TheHorse Break it down. 'meta' = 'encountered a' and something that comes from 'phorein' (Greek) = dunno what that means but it sounds foreign So the whole thing obviously means: 'met someone from elsewhere who doesn't speak English' therefore = 'incomprehensibly'.
@owlwings (43660)
• Cambridge, England
I have incinerated a number of things in my oven over the years but I've never had actual flames. A lot of smoke, yes, but no flames and I don't really have a way to deal with a fat fire in an electric oven, either, apart from shutting the door and starving it of oxygen. Baking soda is an interesting method. Presumably it generates carbon dioxide when heated (but I thought that was only in the presence of water). WHY, for God's sake, do you keep it in the refrigerator, though??? I have had fat fires on the stove top before now.. A wet tea towel thrown over it seems to work well there.
• Walnut Creek, California
When I had a fire in my sauce pan I just put it on the floor of my kitchen. I am glad said floor was not carpeted.
@owlwings (43660)
• Cambridge, England
@TheHorse You haven't answered my question: Why do you keep baking soda in the fridge??
@myklj999 (53961)
@owlwings It is supposed to help control odors
@wolfgirl569 (36452)
• Marion, Ohio
Never one in my oven. On the stove from grease.
• Walnut Creek, California
Yeppers, been there too. Now that my oven is cool, I should remove whatever is is that caught on fine, even if its bathed in baking soda.
@wolfgirl569 (36452)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheHorse That would be a good idea.
• Walnut Creek, California
@wolfgirl569 Here goes...
Thank goodness you were able to put the fire out. Weren’t you afraid to cook in it again without cleaning it out first ?
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh, heck no.
@TheHorse you risk taker you
• Walnut Creek, California
@Tampa_girl7 I like to live on the edge.
• Mt. Vernon, New York
No but I know if I did I would grab my documents and run out the front door. My mind would not rush to saving the place.
• Walnut Creek, California
My guitars come first. Even the stereo gear can melt
• Mt. Vernon, New York
@TheHorse I am hoping everyone in this situation finds their most important things if needed. My birth papers and social security cards come before anything in my home. That would be all I would go for. I am glad for all of us to have our most important things.
@sallypup (42980)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Maybe. Cookies and rounds of bread have been known to slide off the sheet and fall onto the back element and oh joy. Burnt lumps time.
• Walnut Creek, California
I wonder which "meal" caused my inferno today. Will my lasagna taste like baking soda? Will I be really gaseous tonight? Inquiring minds want to know.
@LindaOHio (58184)
lololol I've never had a fire in my oven. What are you doing that it's not he first time? Does your oven need to be cleaned? Good thinking with the baking soda. Stay safe please.
• Walnut Creek, California
Cleaned? You mean you can clean an oven?
@LindaOHio (58184)
@TheHorse Cleaning under the refrigerator and cleaning an oven (and windows) is best reserved for when you move.
• Walnut Creek, California
@LindaOHio My philosophy exactly.
@arunima25 (54389)
• Bangalore, India
I never had a fire with flames as you mentioned here. Once my husband reheated some food, a bit of aluminium foil was still there, it burnt, microwave shut down and so did our electric supply to the microwave. We took it out and everything was fine. There was just a small spark.
• Walnut Creek, California
Heh. I have never had a microwave. I always though the idea of things cooking from the inside out was creepy. But I've abused my oven a few times.
@BarBaraPrz (29969)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
The only time I had a fire in my oven was when I was using an oil cookstove, and the fire actually was in the oil burner on the side, so no, I guess I haven't had a fire in my oven at all. What caught fire in yours?
• Walnut Creek, California
I have no clue! Once it cooled, I just grabbed it and tossed it. It was a charred mess.
@DocAndersen (34586)
i would like to take the 5th on that particular question. But have a nice day!
• Walnut Creek, California
Yes, you have a nice day too! And your secret is safe with me.
@FourWalls (31243)
Not in a few decades. I think the last thing I burned was popcorn in the microwave.
@rakski (79719)
I haven't had any fire in my oven yet. thank goodness for that
I am impressed! You make a *frozen* lasagna in a *fired up* oven.
@lovebuglena (25859)
• Staten Island, New York
What caused the fire to happen? I am glad I never had fire in the oven or I'd have started to panic and not know what to do.
@spiderdust (9620)
• San Jose, California
I'm glad you got the fire out quickly! Do you know what caused it?
No, thank goodness. I've never had a fire in the oven.
@xander6464 (18518)
• Wapello, Iowa
The baking soda was the perfect solution. I wouldn't be surprised if Smokey The Bear gives you a medal for good thinking. How'd the lasagna turn out? Is it safe to take your guitars outside? Aren't the forests, parking lots, walkways, etc always on fire there? I've never had an oven fire. Or a forest fire. Maybe I should move to California.