Rabbit Meat Is an Alternative for Pig Meat

By Rufo
This morning, I was watching particular news about eating rabbit meat. In my country, I strongly believe that no one had tried to eat them. Unless these locals are living in the countryside. To cut it short, we are experiencing a scarcity of pig meat and they are thinking it is an alternative one. I am a meat lover but I am not sure if I will like it. For those who had eaten it, how does it taste? Is rabbit meat abundant at your market there? Image Credit: upload.wikimedia.org
@myklj999 (56244)
• Olney, Illinois
Rabbit has long been a food in the USA. That is why there is a hunting season for rabbit.
Do you need to have a license in hunting them down in the forest?
@myklj999 (56244)
• Olney, Illinois
@myklj999 I got it. It is also the same thing in catching fish there.
Rabbit is very good and currently sold in our supermarkets. It's not at all like pork, rabbit is a lot more similar to chicken and a lot healthier than pork.
I also heard from the news that they are healthier to eat than pork. Perhaps I can have a little bite if having the chance.
@Shavkat Oven baked it is delicious. I remember that my mom marinated the rabbit pieces the day before, they kept the rabbit in the refrigerator during the night and she baked in the oven with garlic and rosemary two hours before serving. It's very good.
@LadyDuck I am sure that it tastes good. I assumed that it can be barbecued. too.
@ARIES1973 (11447)
• Legaspi, Philippines
I haven't tried it yet. I'm not sure too if I would be able to eat this if given a chance.
They are so adorable to be eaten. I heard from my cousin as a seaman that it tastes better than chicken meat.
@Shavkat Yes, it tastes better than chicken meat, it is really good. It is a specialty of some Italian regions.
@LadyDuck I guess most of you had claimed that it tastes like chicken meat.
@simplfred (19079)
Last Sunday, I have tasted a lechon rabbit... Quite like chicken meat...
Really? It sounds like you love it. Did you buy it in the local market?
@simplfred (19079)
@Shavkat Actually, it is my third time to taste it... No, one of my barriomates breed them...
@simplfred I am wondering where can you get it?
@m_audrey6788 (38416)
I don`t eat Rabbit but it is available here in the market
I heard that some countries used to their delicacies. I personally think that among all the Asian countries, the Philippines is not that abundant to have this as personal consumption.
@Shavkat Oh ok. I don`t see much of this Rabbit in the market. I`m not sure if they really love it here
@rsa101 (31291)
I think that it is a feasible alternative to pork. I know there are already sellers of this but they are not as popular as pork. One advantage of this is that they breed fast and you can easily produce it faster than the pig is.
I heard that its meat is cleaner than pork. They are eating natural ones, but I can never tell though. Some breeds grow big.
@rsa101 (31291)
@Shavkat Well, their diet is mainly greens or herbivores. They do not eat leftover foods which pig eats as part of their diet. Those that grow big are from a different strain/breed. They still have the same diet mostly green. So technically they are the same as the cows that eat only plants.
@rsa101 Also, they can only give us fewer fats upon consuming it. Regardless, I am not open to having it as a meal regularly. A quick bite can happen.
Rabbit was eaten a lot by our early settlers. It's a rather dry meat but otherwise acceptable.
Have you ever tasted it? Or, are you considering eating it?
@Shavkat Yes, I've had rabbit quite often but only as a child and young person. Mostly it was casseroled or stewed and it was nice that way. I'd certainly eat it again if it were offered. Occasionally, it's available in our butcher's shops but not too often.
@JudyEv Oh, my. It sounds yummy. I will try just to taste only.
@Porcospino (30654)
• Denmark
I don't eat meat. Rabbit meat is not popular here. I have never seen it in the stores, but it might be possible to find it somewhere. I know some farmers who have rabbits, but they mostly eat the meat themselves or give it away to their families etc. Most Danes prefer other kinds of meat like chicken, pork or beef.
I cannot imagine myself eating this kind of meat. If for a survival situation, I might have some. In my country, I have not seen them in the local public market.
@Porcospino (30654)
• Denmark
@Shavkat Me neither. I keep rabbits as pets and my father used to joke about it. He would say things like: "They are so small, they need to grow bigger before we can eat them"
@Porcospino I guess it is not for me to pet them. I am more of a dog lover.
@wolfgirl569 (39912)
• Marion, Ohio
It is good. I use it in place of chicken for some dishes.
Is it hard to slaughter it?
@wolfgirl569 (39912)
• Marion, Ohio
@Shavkat Not at all. I was helping dad with that before I was in my teens
@wolfgirl569 I assumed it is quite messy than slaughtering a chicken. Is it?
@ZedSmart (17138)
I had been to a restaurant with rabbit adobo on their menu here but I did mind ordering it. I asked how it taste and they say it taste like chicken.
I haven't seen a rabbit meal in a restaurant. I will be like you not to order it.
@spiderdust (10299)
• San Jose, California
I've eaten rabbit several times. While it's not quite the same, it's a better substitute for poultry than it is pork.
You have a point. The rabbit's diet is far better than pork. I am not sure how the local government will encourage the people to produce them in the market here.
@GreatMartin (18502)
• Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
It is a given in rural areas of the USA!
I am sure there are some rabbit hunters in the forest. If ever I am stranded in this place, I will consider eating it than eating reptilians.
@db20747 (34672)
• Washington, District Of Columbia
No rabbit meat here, I'm just trying to become vegetarian. Beans may be a healthier alternative
That's nice that you are a vegan. At some point in my life, I embraced being one when having my medical mission in Tajikistan. There is no pork in this clountry. But I was craving it when still there.
@Sreekala (33317)
I have no idea whether Rabbit meat is available in market here. I think rabbits are not there so eating or selling its meat is not an easy task.
It is also the same thing. I have never seen them in the local public market. I agree that it might not easy to slaughter it.
@Sreekala (33317)
@Shavkat May be people are using without giving publicity. Anyway not on sale.
@Sreekala All I know, rabbits are only pets here.
Haven't eaten it. How about they serve snake meat as well?
I think Chinese people will love it.
@Shavkat ate snake meat before. No idea really.
@allen0187 Really? How does it taste?
@Rashnag (9343)
• Thane, India
No we don't get that meat here. Have a good day and take care
It is nice to know. It is also the same thing here.
@Rashnag (9343)
• Thane, India
@Bubba90 (1386)
how can i eat them they look cute, in my city I never saw a shop selling rabbit meat.
It is also the same scenario here. All my life, I considered an animal that needs to be petted by us. Are you willing to eat it if there is a chance?
@Bubba90 (1386)
@Shavkat i will not eat rabbit coz they are too cute to eat
@Bubba90 How would you feel if you did not notice that it was rabbit meat served to you?
@porwest (42162)
Rabbit is actually very good. It's flavor is very similar to chicken. We can buy it in pretty much any grocery store, although it is not a very popular meat in this country. I think it has nothing to do with the taste. But because many people keep rabbits as pets they simply have trouble putting Fluffy on their plates. lol
I assumed that the texture is so soft when being cooked. I cannot pull myself with the idea of slaughtering them.
@porwest (42162)
@Shavkat About the same texture as chicken too, but I get what you mean. lol
@porwest When I was in university, I asked someone to kill a cat and turtle. It is a Zoology class that needs to study them.
@AkoPinay (11214)
I am a pescetarian.
I am sorry. I am lost with your words. What is it?
@AkoPinay (11214)
@Shavkat I am a fish lover
@AkoPinay I got it.
@prinzcy (22464)
Rabbit meat has the same texture as pig meat? I have eaten rabbit multiple time before. They actually taste really good.
It seems that most of you love rabbit meat. I am not sure if I will like it though. But I am willing to try.