Covid Update

@moffittjc (95847)
Gainesville, Florida
Exactly one month ago, I caught the coronavirus for the second time. And this time it was a doozie, really knocking me on my a$$. So much so, that there were a few days that I didn't think I was going to make it. Anyway, just by virtue of the fact that you are reading this, I obviously survived. Many thanks to all the prayers that were lifted up on my behalf; they certainly helped. Even three weeks after catching the virus, I was still struggling in certain areas. Still had trouble breathing, coughing my lungs out, fatigued and tired all the time, and dizzy from what was obviously a lack of oxygen. Went to the doctor last Friday, and he didn't like the sound of my lungs. So off I went for chest x-rays and and a CT scan, along with bloodwork. A heavy regime of antibiotics and steroids later, and things are slowly starting to improve. My oxygen levels were dangerously low, but they are slowly creeping back up toward the normal range as the antibiotics and steroids work their magic. I'm told I will have the "Covid cough" for weeks or months. But each day I'm slowly gaining more strength. And I mostly have my taste and smell back, although there are still things I eat that have zero taste whatsoever. Today I ate some barbecue chips and there was zero taste to them. Sigh. The good news is, the worst is behind me. And as soon as my doctor says I am clear for it, I will be getting the Covid vaccine. And despite everything I've been through (and am still going through), I still managed to suck it up for a day at Disney with my family. It took every bit of strength I had, but I managed to make it through the whole day at the theme park. I hope all of you out there are staying safe, and still taking precautions to help you avoid getting this nasty virus. And get that vaccine if you can!
@kaylachan (16765)
I have no plans to get the vaccine. However, I hope you feel better. Glad to see you're on the mend at least.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Is there a reason why you don't want to get the vaccine? Not trying to guilt-trip you, just curious.
@kaylachan (16765)
@moffittjc I understand the science behind what vaccines actually are. I would rather take the risk of getting any illness full-force, than not knowing if the vaccine's effective or have a worse side-effect from it then the virus, itself. In addation to that, I don't willingly do needles at all. Getting my bloodwork two times a year is an exercises in patience. (mostly because I have to fast). So... yeah. those are my reasons.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kaylachan Those are very valid reasons. Thanks for sharing. Needles have never bothered me, as I donate blood about every 8-10 weeks. I always tell people that I would make a great heroin addict, since heroin addicts are always shooting up with needles. lol
@kobesbuddy (122643)
• East Tawas, Michigan
I'm so happy that you're finally getting better, compliments of Antibiotics/steroids. And to find out you will also be receiving the COVID vaccine, it will strengthen your natural immune system. I will continue to pray for you
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you for your continued prayers. I have a feeling I will still be dealing with the after-effects for a long while. That virus hit me harder than even I realized. How's your daughter doing? Is she fully recovered now?
@kobesbuddy (122643)
• East Tawas, Michigan
@moffittjc I just got off the phone with my daughter and she's doing excellent, thanks! She called me while driving home from the clinic, where she works. Two ladies she associates with came down with Covid, this week. It's still running rampant in Michigan!
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kobesbuddy I'm glad she is doing much better. She didn't give the virus to her two associates, did she? lol
@CarolDM (127036)
Good to see you and happy you have survived this crazy illness. I am sure it will take awhile to get your strength back.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thanks. I was going strong on myLot during my Covid quarantine, but since I've been back at work I've barely had time to catch my breath (what little of it I have). It's always nice when I get a chance to pop in here and say hi to everyone.
@CarolDM (127036)
@moffittjc Always good to see you. Take care of yourself.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@CarolDM Thank you. Always good to see you here as well.
@Deepizzaguy (47698)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
Ten days after I took my vaccine, I am starting to feel better after my illness almost took me down for good last March.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's great to hear. I'm glad you are feeling better. I'm slowly starting to feel better as well. Now if I could just get my strength back...
@Deepizzaguy (47698)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@moffittjc I wish you the best of your strength recovery.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Deepizzaguy Thank you!
@1creekgirl (24857)
I'm so glad you're seeing some improvement. Did having it twice make the effects even worse? It really is scary when someone as young and healthy as you gets so very sick with it. Hopefully you can get the vaccine soon. We've had both shots, but still taking precautions.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
My doctor is pretty sure I had the UK variant, which is much worse than the regular variant, which is why I was so much sicker this time around. I will definitely be getting the vaccine just as soon as my doctor says I am well enough to get it.
@1creekgirl (24857)
@moffittjc A lot of people have been and will be praying for you.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@1creekgirl Thank you. You don't know how much that means to me. I'm very grateful for the prayers.
@porwest (42534)
Very glad to hear things are looking up. Maybe on the bright side (for us) you are taking all the cases so we don't have to. lol. Let's hope this is the end of it for you now. If you get it a third time I have to start questioning everything.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
If I get it a third time, I'm going to call it quits. I just can't deal with another round of this.
@porwest (42534)
@moffittjc lol. Let's hope there is no third round then.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@porwest I am definitely with you on that thought.
So far so good for me but I mostly stay indoors. I am glad you are getting over the Covid and will put you in my prayers that you are finally back on your feet again,
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
If I didn't have to work, I would be like you and mostly keep to myself, just to be on the safe side. Thanks for your prayers. They definitely have been helping carry me through this ordeal.
I already had both vaccines and my husband gets his second one on Saturday. Than we will wait 14 days to go to a few places.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
That's great that the both of you will be vaccinated. And also smart waiting the 14 days before going anywhere. It will be a relief for you to know that you are much better protected against the virus now when you go out. I can't wait to get my shots, but I have to wait up to 90 days (or until my doctor clears me) to get my vaccination.
I feel for you. My dad had never been as sick as he was when he had Covid. I really feared for his life. He recently got his second vaccine shot, and I'm very relieved. I am so glad to hear you're better.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
I know exactly what your dad went through. I honestly thought I wasn't going to make it either. I told my daughter a few days ago that there were a few days where I was absolutely convinced I was a goner.
@Fa_Maverick (6578)
Eeee it's Jeff haiiiiiiiieeeeeee. Have not heard from you in a while :D Sucks about the issues and the chips but at least you will be able to taste them eventually.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Hi Peanut! I miss you! You should drop by and say hi more often. How's life treating you?
@moffittjc life is good a lot of happy vibes going on right now
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Fa_Maverick That's awesome! I'm happy for you. Keep those happy vibes going as long as you can. You deserve it.
@lovebuglena (27110)
• Staten Island, New York
Glad you are doing better. Not getting the vaccine, not even if someone pays me to do it.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Since you are choosing not to get the vaccine, please be extra careful to stay safe and not catch the virus. Trust me, after having it twice, I wouldn't wish this illness on my worst enemy.
@lovebuglena (27110)
• Staten Island, New York
@moffittjc my mom signed up to get one but they ran out of the vaccine so now she has to try to find it elsewhere and make an appointment. She wants to visit my brother and his kids in FL but his wife said unless she gets the vaccine she can’t come. My mom doesn’t let me visit her. Or if I come over I have to wear a mask the entire time. Don’t want to do that. Can’t be in a darn mask for a long time. Uncomfortable and hard to breathe in one.
@lovebuglena (27110)
• Staten Island, New York
@moffittjc hubby is not getting the vaccine either. We are doing well. We don’t go anywhere much, except for grocery shopping or occasional visit to his parents, or once in a blue moon to his relatives gathering.
@flapiz (11999)
Well done you survived! You're one tough cookie.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm still not 100% better yet. Just finished my regimen of antibiotics and steroids to clear up my lungs. My breathing is much better now, but I still have the "Covid cough," and I still get fatigued very easily. But I'm improving day by day. I'm not quite sure I'm a tough cookie though. Maybe more like a soft and chewy cookie! haha
@flapiz (11999)
@moffittjc Hahaha okay soft chewy cookie Well you are beating covid so you're tough. Positive mindset.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@flapiz I'm all about having a positive mindset. That's one thing that has helped me get through this devastating illness. Have you had to deal with any Covid patience in your duties as a nurse?
I wasn’t aware you got infected twice and boy am i glad that you survived it. I can imagine what you’ve been through though. Stay safe and healthy always.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, I've had it twice now. The first time was in March of 2020, and this second time was in March of 2021. The month of March has not been good to me lately. haha
@moffittjc I’m sure you wont have it in March 2022.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@toniganzon You are much more confident of that than I am! LOL
@kareng (33533)
Wow, I've been wondering how you were doing. I'm glad you are finally on the mend. Take care!!
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm slowly mending. Not as fast as I'd like, but I'm getting there. Just need to get these lung issues taken care of. It's no fun when you feel like you can't breathe. I feel like a fish out of water.
@kareng (33533)
@moffittjc I know you feel miserable. I had also heard that it takes months for recovery. You have a long road ahead of yourself and just need to take every day at a time as they come!
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kareng The five other co-workers that got Covid at the same time as I did were all talking yesterday about all the after-effects we're all still dealing with. It's definitely going to be a long road to recovery. But at least we'll all be going through it together.
I'm so glad you're on the mend.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thank you. Me too. Just finished up my antibiotic and steroid regimen. My breathing is much better now, but I still have that darn Covid cough that I can't seem to get rid of.
@moffittjc I'm sorry you still have the cough.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@just4him It's just a slight annoyance right now, nothing major. In fact, it could be more allergy related at this point than Covid related. Who knows, with so much pollen in the air here in Florida. But I think I am finally back to full strength, or at least I have been feeling like it for the past couple of days.
So pleased - and relieved - to hear the worst is behind you. Let's hope you have no lasting ill-effects from your horrible experience. We will make appointments for the vaccine very soon.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Both of my children went today to get their first shot of the vaccine. I'm glad they were able to get appointments so quickly. I'm a little concerned with the after-effects of the virus, especially since my respiratory system was hit hard. I hope when the results of the x-rays and CT scans come back that they don't show any permanent damage on my lungs or heart.
@moffittjc I hope so too. Some people do seem to have lasting effects while others are less affected.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv There's no doubt I was affected very hard, but thankfully I seem to have made it through the worst of it. I noticed for the first time today that I was feeling like I am back to full strength.
• Rupert, Idaho
Wow, first of all I am sorry that you caught it a second time! But I am glad you are starting to improve some. Hopefully the cough won't last that long for you though!
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
The cough is certainly very annoying, although manageable. I've been trying to do deep breathing exercises as much as I can to strengthen my lungs and get more oxygen to my body. It does seem to help, although ever so slightly.
@moffittjc When I was very young I experienced pneumonia several times and from that experience I learned what shortness of breath is like. It is no picnic. There were times I felt frustration and hopelessness. But I also remember like you spending some time just concentrating on breathing like we would exercise. Then I would move on and forget-about-it. Then go back to it. I found seeking to find calmness and peace did so very much. Like exercise I prefer slow to fast movement and never over do as I find it hurts me more than does me good. And I remember treating liquid removal as a friend instead of an enemy. The body is really capable of getting better. Hope you are able to keep your spirits up and get well. Best wishes from a stranger. :)
• Rupert, Idaho
@moffittjc Well that is good it is manageable, but still! I am sure that does get exhausting. That's good to do those sort of things to help...hopefully the more you do them the more they'll help
@noni1959 (7948)
That is such great news you are getting better. I still have the cough. It comes and goes. he cough is like something poking me with little pins and after coughing stops. I know, weird, but not sure how to describe it. I think of those little germ things with the sticky claws. I hope you continue to improve and be back to normal soon.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
I'm still dealing with the coughing as well. Actually, all 6 of us at work that got Covid at the same time are all still coughing. I think I have the worst cough of the bunch though. But otherwise, I am slowly feeling better and better with each passing day.
@noni1959 (7948)
@moffittjc That is good to hear. My taste is still so off. It's been a year.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@noni1959 My taste is still off a little bit, but not on all foods. I figured out that I'm fine with sweet foods, but salty foods I can't taste yet.
Wait.. did you go out.. with the virus? Jeff! No. Also sorry again for you catching it a second time.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
NO! I don't have the virus anymore. I had to test negative two days in a row before I was released from the hospital. I would never go out if I still had the virus. I'm just suffering from after-effects of the virus, nothing that would be contagious to others.
@moffittjc ahhh gotcha. Was hoping that was it but was like
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Courtlynn I would never wish Covid on my worst enemy, let alone friends, family or neighbors. I made sure to be extra, extra cautious in dealing with this virus. And I'm still trying to keep my distance from people as much as I can, just to be on the safe side. But yeah, I don't want to be one to spread the virus to others!
Oh gosh, this 2nd one turned into a beast . . . I thought initially that this one hadn't been so bad for you. Argh. But my goodness you got through it - I'm glad to hear the worst of it is over. And omg you went to Disney . . . you are a power horse! I hope that you get completely better soon - what a thing to go through - and twice ! We got the first of the vax on Saturday. Even so, we are going to stay extra cautious as usual.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
Both of my kids got their first shot of the vaccine this morning. I'm proud of both of them for taking the initiative to sign up and get their shots. I'm sure they saw what I went through and it probably scared the crap out of them. That was the worst sick I have ever been through in my entire life.
@moffittjc That's great your kids got vaccinated! Waiting on my kids . . . my 16 year old can get it soon, but we haven't gotten an appointment for her yet - and my son is still only 11, there is none for his age group yet. I hope you will be able to get vaccinated soon - please no more covid for Jeff! I know it was hard for you last time - how crazy that this time was even worse - my g getting this virus is serious!!! Hoping you are feeling tons better now.
@moffittjc (95847)
• Gainesville, Florida
@much2say I am feeling much, much better, and the covid cough is almost entirely gone (I think my allergies are causing what little cough I have left). My lungs still aren't back to full capacity, but my breathing is 100% better than what it was a couple of weeks ago. I'm not getting fatigued as much, so that is a good sign. I hope your kids are able to get vaccinated soon so they'll be protected. I just read in the paper yesterday that our school district will be offering the covid vaccine to all public school students. That's definitely a great way to get a lot more people vaccinated.