Jury Duty Summons to Appear

@CarolDM (130898)
A few weeks ago I receive paperwork to appear for jury duty tomorrow. The main reason I got my COVID vaccines. Hopefully I will not be picked for the jury. It usually involves sitting a few hours as the attorneys asks each person questions and then they decide who is picked for the final jury. I have always been sent home early. That is a very good thing. I do not want to get picked for a trial. Fingers crossed they do not choose me for a juror. Have you ever been picked a juror on a trial?
@Mike197602 (15353)
No I never have and hope I never will be I know very well how the court system works here and quite often a jury is not told all of the facts. If I got picked I'd do what I could to be disqualified.
@CarolDM (130898)
Good to know.
@vandana7 (81888)
How do you do what could get you disqualified? I mean what would get you disqualified. But why is it that Jury is not told all the facts!!!
• Pune, India
We don't have that system in here. But it does sound interesting.
@CarolDM (130898)
It gets boring really quick. Hours of sitting.
• Pune, India
@CarolDM But doesn't they make you hear about the case? What happened and what not.
@CarolDM (130898)
@Prabhatsingh Yes, you are part of who decides the verdict or outcome in the trial. But it can go on for days and sometimes weeks. If I knew for sure it was a short trial, I wouldn't mind. But you don't know ahead of time.
@myklj999 (56901)
• Olney, Illinois
They sent me summonses twice one summer years ago and I reminded them who I actually am and they said 'Oops sorry' and it ain't happened since. True story. Got the felonies to prove it.
@CarolDM (130898)
You have a good excuse.
@Mike197602 (15353)
Do you get excused because of that? Not sure how it works here with regard to prior record so will have to find out.
@myklj999 (56901)
• Olney, Illinois
@Mike197602 Oh yes, a felony conviction is a BIG disqualification to serve on a jury here.
Hope you don’t have to serve.
@CarolDM (130898)
Thanks
@vandana7 (81888)
You too do not like that duty?
No, never but always afraid to be call, Good luck for being not "chosen",
@CarolDM (130898)
Thank you!
I always get a Drs note so I am with you there.
@CarolDM (130898)
I hope I will be home early.
Yes, once. After listening to the trial all day though they settled before we deliberated. It was kind of disappointing actually. In the elevator on the way down we were all talking about how we would have voted.
@CarolDM (130898)
Hope I don’t get picked.
@CarolDM I would be the opposite. I would want to get picked, however, I know the vast majority of people are like you.
@CarolDM (130898)
@snowy22315 The reason I say that is it would be my luck to get on a long drawn out boring trial for weeks. If it was like a Dateline or 48 hours show I would feel different.
@NateB11 (651)
I usually don't want to be on a jury either and often have had a valid excuse not to.
@CarolDM (130898)
Good to hear.
I served as one on a federal jury but the lawyers were able to settle out of court.
@CarolDM (130898)
Good to hear.
I have never been picked. I have been excused most times . . . and then a couple times made it to orientation but everyone was let go afterwards. Last year I was summoned, but excused and rescheduled for January. So I did the online check-in each day - and ultimately didn't have to go in. Fingers crossed for you!!
@CarolDM (130898)
Thanks I hope I do not get chosen.
I was recently picked for what I assume was a jury pool in federal court. I requested and received an exemption because it was an hour away and I don’t have a reliable vehicle.
@CarolDM (130898)
Good for you.
@DocAndersen (39492)
i lived in Indiana and Ohio for many years. NEVER GOT CALLED!!!! Been in Maryland 10 years in August. Have already been called twice, and rejected twice for a jury!
@vandana7 (81888)
Why rejected?
@DocAndersen (39492)
@vandana7 in both cases the defence attorney dismissed me. i didn't fit the profile they wanted
@CarolDM (130898)
@DocAndersem You were lucky in the other states. Back home now.
@DaddyEvil (39065)
I got a summons a few years ago. In the paperwork I received it said to check each day on their site to be sure I needed to go in. I never had to. *shrug* I was told that all you have to do to get out of jury duty is to tell them you hate whatever group of people the person the jury is supposed to be convened for belongs to. I don't know if that's true or not.
@CarolDM (130898)
I am not doing that. i will go and see how it works out. I am sure there are ways to get out of it.
@DaddyEvil (39065)
@CarolDM I wouldn't do it, either. I was just happy I didn't have to go.
@RebeccasFarm (29426)
Yes but it was cancelled..strange. Hope you dont have to go.
@CarolDM (130898)
Went but the trial was cancelled.
@Nevena83 (61813)
• Serbia
There is no such thing here. I have only seen this way of choosing a jury in movies. I didn't even know it was really happening that way.
@CarolDM (130898)
It has been that way for many years here.
@Nevena83 (61813)
• Serbia
@CarolDM Always watching movies I thought it was interesting, but is it dangerous? Maybe the culprit knows a juror or remembers his face, then the juror may have problems when he gets out of prison.
@CarolDM (130898)
@Nevena83 Not dangerous at all. There are attorneys and a judge and security in the courtroom always. One of the things they go through ahead of time is making sure you do not know the defendant.
@JimBo452020 (46215)
• Montrose, Scotland
Well reaching this post means I am.3 hours into the posts for the 24 hours previously. I wouldn't like to be on a Jury. Luckily it has never happened. I hope you don't get picked Carol.
@CarolDM (130898)
I did not get picked. Am home now.
@JimBo452020 (46215)
• Montrose, Scotland
@CarolDM Oh I know Your other post is sitting in the queue. I reckon it's about last in the line of posts to answer as I opened the.tabs some hours ago. I do this a strange way Carol.
@CarolDM (130898)
@JimBo452020 Opening os many tabs will slow down your internet. I think you may know that.
• Israel
@CarolDM I would think because people are not supposed to be sitting close to one another that they would not have a jury trial. So that would mean that you have to wear your mask while sitting there and listening and not having a good time wearing a mask to really listen? I hope you can go home again and do not have to sit there. I have never done jury duty and now I live too far away I would not go on a plane right now or go back to do it.
@CarolDM (130898)
We had to wear masks and sit 6 feet apart. I am home now.
• Israel
@CarolDM I can see why they had you wearing masks and sit 6 feet apart. I am so glad you are home and did not have to sit.
@CarolDM (130898)
@Hannihar Thank you!
@Deepizzaguy (48562)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
I have been summoned a few times for jury duty but not selected to serve in an actual trial in both Jefferson and Calcasieu Parishes.
@CarolDM (130898)
Hoping for the same.
@Deepizzaguy (48562)
• Lake Charles, Louisiana
@CarolDM The last time I was summoned for jury duty, the hostess said that there were no cases on that day which is a relief,
@CarolDM (130898)
@Deepizzaguy That is a relief.
I sat on a jury a couple of years ago. It was an interesting experience.
@CarolDM (130898)
They can be interesting sometimes.
@CarolDM Yes, they can, and informative. The one I was involved in helped me decide chiropractors were beneficial.
@CarolDM (130898)
@betlynfrnds (3379)
To the best of my knowledge, I reported twice. The last time being a couple of years ago. I was not picked, thank goodness. I hope the same for you.
@CarolDM (130898)
Thanks, home now.
@CarolDM Oh yay, good for you.
@CarolDM (130898)