goodbye white trim

a painting I will go
@mom210 (8403)
When we moved into our house 16 years ago, I did not want anything to be white. No white walls, no white trim. Truth be told, I love stained trim, stained doors, but I guess that is old style, not in style anymore at least. I was told for resale value I needed to go with the style......white doors, white trim. Every summer, I walk around the house painting trim, painted doors because a lot of kids, means a lot of upkeep. The doors and trim look terrible after only one year. This year, I drew the line, fact is, I will most likely die in this house, pee on resale, the kids can figure it out after I die! So once again, I got my paint brush and paint out, my new trim is tan! Ha take that! And a dark tan too. Couldn't get a good photo of it, but I am pleased with it. I repainted the living room walls and trim this past week. It takes about 5 days to do my living room, I have triangle windows to paint around and vaulted ceilings. Have to get out an extension ladder. I am so pleased with the living room, I am doing the trim in the kitchen this week and the steps to the basement. next weekend will be all those white doors down the hall. Good bye white trim. Photo is from pixabay, I just thought it was cute.
• Rockingham, Australia
Good for you. I don't like holes in walls (for putting up pictures, etc) but I figure we'll die here too so I'm not so worried now.
@mom210 (8403)
That is one of the nice things that comes with age, less stressing about the small stuff I think. My kids have gotten amazed over the last few years, I say a lot more "I just don't care" like...."Mom, I broke the vase," ....."ah, okay".
• Rockingham, Australia
@mom210 You are so right. Some many things matter less and less now.
@kaka135 (14360)
I used to take better care of my house until I have kids at home...Well, I will just have to figure out what to do in future, and can't worry too much about it now. I agree with that as I am growing older... and perhaps wiser?
@DaddyEvil (54317)
The house you live in should suit the personality of the owner. To heck with resale value until you get ready to sell the blasted place! You can always change the color scheme before putting the house up for sale.
@mom210 (8403)
to heck indeed! They probably won't want to buy this house with me buried in the back yard anyway
@DaddyEvil (54317)
@mom210 Hmm... I think that depends... There are some... uhh... weird people in the world, you know.
@mom210 (8403)
@DaddyEvil very true, to many in my opinion.
White doors, white trims is surely not something I would like, I love to live in a house and not in an hospital. Paint the house with the colors you love, you are the one who has to live there.
@mom210 (8403)
I agree, I have no idea why they are popular. They will not be in my houses anymore.
@mom210 I remember that they were popular in Italy when I was a kid.
@mom210 (8403)
@LadyDuck one of the houses we lived i a few years ago had white kitchen cabinets, they were horrible. Not only did I find them ugly but sooo hard to keep clean especially with kids .
@prashu228 (36510)
Glad you decided to change the paint... hope you can post a picture later
@mom210 (8403)
for some reason it made a really bad glare, not sure why
@prashu228 (36510)
@mom210 ohh..so whats your next plan
@mom210 (8403)
@prashu228 have not made a plan yet, still thinking.
That's great you're getting rid of the white trim, walls, and doors.
@mom210 (8403)
it's been a long time coming, now to get the garage and basement cleaned up too. ugh
@mom210 One day at a time. That's what I've been doing for the past two months as I prepare to move.
@mom210 (8403)
@just4him oh I didn't k now you were moving, same state just different place?
@sallypup (48016)
• Moses Lake, Washington
That's fantastic that you can do all that painting work. Last time I painted a wall I paid a contractor friend to come fix up my mess.
@mom210 (8403)
oh no! I have considered paying somebody but am just to cheap to let go of that cash.
@sallypup (48016)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@mom210 I still have paint and another wall that could use it but I'm not attempting it cause I'd probably have to call my contractor buddy back if I did.
@mom210 (8403)
@sallypup maybe he'll give you a good discount
• Midland, Michigan
I don't like white either. When we got new windows in 2006 I painted the trim or I should say stained the woods trim. Most of our rooms have been colored since the house was built but I've slowly changed the colors. The living room need a fresh coat and I've not decided whether to stay with a sage or go with white because then the drapes if have might look funny with white walls. The drapes are a blue and green design. I'm surprised you get out the extension and still use it
@mom210 (8403)
I don't really like being that high up, but yes, the ceiling are just so high I have to get up there. I think when we do this again, the floors will need to be charnged out and Ill get me a sprayer. That might be a lot of fun, just go a little crazy and not worry about getting the floors. I'll just have to cover the window and fireplace.
• Midland, Michigan
@mom210 I only allow myself on short ladders. I hope someone is there to hold the bottom while you're using it?
@mom210 (8403)
@MarshaMusselman yes ladders actually make me nervous, one of my sons fell off last year putting up the Christmas decorations. He uses ladders at work so he was the last person I'd expect to fall but he was not paying attention.
@CarolDM (153836)
Glad you are happy after painting. Cute photo.
@mom210 (8403)
yes, it really wore me out, but nice to have accomplished something for sure. Thank you, thought it was better than just posting a picture of a wall anyway.
@CarolDM (153836)
@mom210 The photo makes me smile.
@mom210 (8403)
@CarolDM me too
@moffittjc (100249)
• Gainesville, Florida
You are the one who has to live in your house day in and day out, and as such you should be able to comfortably enjoy your little slice of sanctity. To hell with resale value, that is only important at the moment you decide to sell your house. Paint it the way you want it painted, because it can always be changed at a later date if you should decide to sell.
@mom210 (8403)
absolutely true, I can't believe I waited this long.
@moffittjc (100249)
• Gainesville, Florida
@mom210 Now you’ve got to make up for lost time! Lol
Yikes, I hope I don't end up dying in this house. What will be will be I guess..but it won't come to pass if I can help it. That being said, there are probably worse places to be Lovely lake here and it's quiet.
@mom210 (8403)
sounds very peaceful, best you could get a lot of writing or paining done in a place like that.
@mom210 Yes, it is a good environment for it.
@Andini (2111)
Nice to know that you are pleased with your painting
@mom210 (8403)
yes, very much so. But the whole thing has been a lot of work, a lot of up the ladder, down the ladder and knee work. Makes me realize I am not 20 anymore.
@Andini (2111)
@mom210 ohh its ok you still young
@jaiho2009 (39184)
I like white for my bedsheets but not on my walls. I always love blue and gold trimmings.
@mom210 (8403)
that does sound pretty
It's your house, you tastes. Forget about the resale value. Be happy in your new painted spots already
@mom210 (8403)
I agree, going just go with it now, do what I want. Watch out.
@kaka135 (14360)
It's good that you can now paint the color you like. I actually don't really bother much about the resale, since I don't know how long we will be staying in this house, I'll just do what I like now. Perhaps we'll figure out what to do if we really want to sell this house in future, but let the future takes care of it.
@mom210 (8403)
i agree, I am learning to worry a little less, wish I had learned that lesson long ago.
• Preston, England
sounds a great project
@mom210 (8403)
it, is good for exercise and keeping me busy for sure.
Your house and you should do what you think will look good for you.
@mom210 (8403)
thank you, should be less work now trying to keep it clean looking too.
@Traceyjayne (1557)
Well done you on going with what you want x you will enjoy it all the more.
@mom210 (8403)
I think so, it is hard enough trying to keep things together with this crew.
lol love white trim and have it exclusively at my house but the bogs don't put paw prints on the doors lol
@mom210 (8403)
mine scratches at the door to come in, it drives me crazy but it was a habit he had when we got him as a rescue dog
I say do what makes you happy. Good for you.
@mom210 (8403)
thank you, it was a lot of work, but a am happy with the results.
Our trim is dark bluish gray to go with our barely light blueish gray walls. I love it.
@mom210 (8403)
sounds beautiful and easy to deal with