Bright Lights On At Night

@kareng (41357)
This is probably a regional problem but I thought I would ask anyway. We have noticed here in both Louisiana and Mississippi that people driving at night always have their bright lights on. You can ask them to dim them multiple times and they ignore you and keep the lights on bright. We have been watching this problem for several months and have come to the conclusion that it is being done on purpose. I'm not sure if it is teens playing games or what. It just needs to stop though. It happens every time we drive from MS to LA or reverse route these days. This is a hazard to the on-coming vehicle. If you are blinding them, they could run off the road or even run into YOU. So my question is does this happen in your area? Is this a new craze? Photo Credit: Pixabay, Public Domain
That is not happening where I live.
@kareng (41357)
You are lucky!
@DocAndersen (48986)
well, so there are two sides to the story. The first side is the newer cars have intelligent headlamps that follow as you turn.t hat changes the angle of the light and makes them appear brighter. The other is that people have the newer halogen bulbs that are brighter. but, sadly I've noticed older cars that don't have either of those, with their brights on all the time. I guess I just presented a middle of the road argument for and against!
@kareng (41357)
I'm talking about on a straight highway so the adjustment theory is thrown out. The new bulbs are a lot brighter and that makes the situation much worse and unsafe when you have an idiot driving that refuses to dim.
@DocAndersen (48986)
@kareng it does and yes a straight highway shouldn't then have high beams on that can be dangerous.
@kareng (41357)
@DocAndersen Just since I put this discussion up I get one behind me coming home yesterday. There are a lot of idiots in the world. I slowed down so this one could pass me and get away from me. It was pouring rain too.
@moffittjc (100249)
• Gainesville, Florida
Thankfully, this isn't an issue in my area of north Florida. And I hope it stays that way! I hate when drivers leave their brights on.
@kareng (41357)
Lucky duck!! It's so inconsiderate!!
@moffittjc (100249)
• Gainesville, Florida
@kareng Do you have issues with people jacking up the front of their truck and then lowering the back end of their truck? It seems every redneck here in Florida does that to their truck.
@kareng (41357)
@moffittjc I haven't noticed that but some jack up all the way around and also lower all the way around. Seems like jacking up the front would make it hard to see out of it!!
@moonandstars (54745)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i am not from the USA but, some people do it but, i try to warn them by putting the same light or pulling by the road or slowing down so they can drive by. one time, i think some kids were returning from their night party and they did to me on purpose. i pulled by the road and felt better not to be bullied, in a way.
@kareng (41357)
You are right, some do it just to do it and aggravate people. They all need a dose of tickets to learn their lesson or revoke license for a few months.
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
@kareng i agree. whether at night or day; like today, i am crossing the road, and car slows down but it doesn't stop so i can cross over. they all deserve a lesson.
@kareng (41357)
@moonandstars Especially when the safety of others is in the picture.
@CarolDM (153837)
I have seen it happen a lot, and just thought they were not paying attention. Dangerous for sure.
@kareng (41357)
But when you dim to ask nicely for them to dim, they ignore you so if not paying attention that should wake them up!!
@CarolDM (153837)
@kareng I know exactly what you mean.
@kareng (41357)
@CarolDM Just so many inconsiderate people these days, SMH!!
@DaddyEvil (54275)
No, that doesn't happen here. Anyone caught doing that will get a high ticket... Most people quickly dim their lights when meeting another vehicle on the highway.
@kareng (41357)
Most people should and these people do deserve a ticket but law enforcement has cut back on stopping vehicles for such things due to Covid around here. Also, these country highways are not patrolled much at all.
@DaddyEvil (54275)
@kareng Most of the time, if you meet someone with their brights on here it's because you've just come around a large curve in the highway and the other people didn't see you until you popped around the corner... then they hurriedly dim their lights. Yes, the police are ignoring their duty here, too... unless they just feel like harassing someone. Pretty and I went to a new doctor's office in Springfield a few months ago. I was following the speed limit and not doing anything wrong when an officer pulled me over. My plates had expired. When I told him I hadn't gotten a renewal notice, he told me the DMV was way behind in sending the renewal notices out so he'd just "warn" me about the tags being expired. When I told that story at the DMV, they told me cops were told to leave motorists alone if the tags were expired and they weren't doing anything wrong. That one was bored or just felt like being an a-hole...
@kareng (41357)
@DaddyEvil Ah you are in the same boat as my hubby was a couple of weeks ago!! I bet yours isn't expired for long though, right? Mine is due this month. We need to get that taken care of next week, my oil needs changing and it needs to go to the shop for some warranty work and also a recall. Happy one year old, car; here is a recall!
@rakski (99294)
I hope it is ot a new craze. it is terrible to the eyes
@kareng (41357)
It sure seems like it is a new craze around this part of the country.
@rakski (99294)
@kareng that is so blinding to the eyes
@kareng (41357)
@rakski It is very blinding!!
@m_audrey6788 (52922)
I`m not sure but I think it is not happening here
@kareng (41357)
That is good to hear. Stay safe!
@kareng Thank you
@kareng (41357)
@m_audrey6788 You are welcome!!
@HazySue (39260)
• Inverness, Florida
It is a problem here in paqrts of Florida too. I can't drive at night because I am blinded when I meet a car.
@kareng (41357)
Me too and this just makes it worse! It must be a "southern thing."
@HazySue (39260)
• Inverness, Florida
@kareng It could be but I suspect that it is a whole country thing.
@kareng (41357)
@HazySue And we will really never know.
@wolfgirl569 (47703)
• Marion, Ohio
All the time here also. Some will dim when you flash yours. Have the idiots that get too close behind you with brights also. Flicking the mirror up and down often fixes that problem
@kareng (41357)
So it is not a southern thing. Yes, we have those idiots also. Thank goodness you can adjust mirror for night driving in that case, but you are blinded by the a - holes coming at you!!
@wolfgirl569 (47703)
• Marion, Ohio
@kareng Nope, it is everywhere sadly. I flick the mirror up and down when they get close with brights on. Makes the light flash them.
@kareng (41357)
@wolfgirl569 I do the same. Or slow so much they pass me.
@sjvg1976 (29115)
It's common here in India. People don't understand the consequences of the same. It's difficult to drive when you face lights on a high beam.
@kareng (41357)
It is very difficult and dangerous too!
@porwest (47214)
I'd recommend blasting your own brights at them. But I was once advised it was unwise for two blinded drivers to be coming toward each other. lol
@kareng (41357)
That was my initial reaction but of course I got lectured from the ex-law enforcement hubby. I only do it now when I have really had enough of the lights and really fed up.
I haven't driven at night in ages so I'm no help.
@kareng (41357)
That's okay :)
I cannot say since I have not car but that sounds like a most dangerous thing to do,
@kareng (41357)
I agree!
@FourWalls (35706)
My theory is that they’re looking for animals on the road. Lots of critters roaming around those parts, and not just deer.
@RebeccasFarm (43352)
• Wheat Ridge, Colorado
I wonder if they are making the lights brighter in the new vehicles yes that is a hazard..I dont drive so dont see it.
@kareng (41357)
They are and that just makes the situation worse and more harmful.
@LindaOHio (75092)
People usually dim their brights when approaching oncoming traffic; but not everyone does.
@kareng (41357)
Yes, responsible people do.