Getting rid of bills

I'm getting rid of things I don't use, or well I already have. By that i mean the discovery + subscription that I don't use. I also got rid of Kindle Unlimited because I do not read that often anymore and do have a library card. I need to get rid of these things for a few reasons. One is just the added money saved that can then be used towards something else. Another is that I just don't use these things. I usually do this at the beginning of the year, but I'm doing it mid-year (or well, end of the yar) now. Do you go through your finances and get rid of recurring payments you just don't use?
It's smart to get rid of the expenses you aren't using now. Those charges add up and yes, you could be using that money for other things or just saving it. I recently got rid of a recurring charge and as small as the amount was it added up month after month.
WE have to be careful what we sign for.
You're right. One thing I don't like is how places give you the flat fee without considering the taxes you have to pay. Like "just $10 / month" ends up being $11 when things are said and done. The only thing I am keeping (for now) is my spotify for music as I like to tell my speaker to play things and have no commercials whilst doing so.
@ptrikha_2 (37880)
I have sometimes done so. I once had an additional Heath Insurance which I did not want to renew. I got close to 10-12 calls for getting it renewed, but I resisted. I even had to block a few numbers using an App. Sounds harsh, but we have to take tough measures at times. I hope that you would get rid of the unwanted expenses timely.
Thank You! Yes, I had to get rid of health insurance a few years ago. I should have gotten rid of it earlier but instead ended up paying for a few more months and running up my credit card bill. I am still trying to pay that down. I do not like how these places incessantly call.
@ptrikha_2 (37880)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Yes and they keep on calling even with Official policy of "Do not distrub". Perhaps its a world wide issue!
@JimBo452020 (42774)
Never had any recurring payments for stuff we don't use. We have been debt free for a few years. No subscriptions of any kind.
Well that's really awesome. Not even the telly?
@JimBo452020 (42774)
@ScribbledAdNauseum Free to air satellite TV is what we have.
Ah, plenty of that kind of stuff over here. @JimBo452020
@DaddyEvil (80814)
We don't start recurring bills unless they're something we need...
That is something I need to do to be honest. I will get subscription services and use them so temporarily. I've decided to just use my library card for e-books. Haven't felt much like reading lately anyway.
@DaddyEvil (80814)
@ScribbledAdNauseum You didn't like the site I gave you for ebooks? They're free there...
@DaddyEvil I haven't checked it. I probably will end up checking it but I'm browsing the e-library catalog for my county now.
@CarolDM (186258)
I stay on top of those things, and the recurring charges are the most important. You can forget about those.
Even $3 adds up after awhile.
@CarolDM (186258)
@ScribbledAdNauseum That is true.
@CarolDM Starz wants me to subscribe to them for $3 for 3 months. I just don't see the point / use in doing so.
@ShyBear88 (53295)
Yes, at least once a year or every few months we will talk about JD we still need this or that. Mostly we need to keep internet, electricity, and water at all. The other things are as we see if an can afford.
That's about the same for me. I'm still paying down a credit card that I should have paid off but I just don't make enough income to pay more than a few dollars over the minimum.
@ShyBear88 (53295)
@ScribbledAdNauseum same we don’t make enough for a lot of things. We still have to pick and choice bills, this week I didn’t pay for Hulu because we need the $125 to pay for the remainder of the water bill or they would turn it off so we choice the water.
@ShyBear88 I get that. Honestly while the subscription services are good, there is still not one subscription service to replace all that cable offers. Even though Hulu now bundles with Disney + and ESPN, it's just not the same. I think that if I ever do get a subscription service again I am going to do it from a gift card. I know that there used to be earning sites out there where you could redeem for netflix. Not sure if you still can.
@lovebuglena (35787)
• Staten Island, New York
Good idea. Some people hardly use their subscription services and still pay for it every month. Like my husband. We use Netflix rarely these days and yet he still keeps it. I think he now pays $13.99 for it every month. Unless it's $12.99. Don't remember.
@lovebuglena (35787)
• Staten Island, New York
@ScribbledAdNauseum if you regularly watch Netflix maybe that is a good price. But hardly using it, paying that much seems like a waste of money.
@lovebuglena Right. I think the last time I regularly watched netflix was three or four years ago.
@lovebuglena (35787)
• Staten Island, New York
@ScribbledAdNauseum I hate this streaming service thing. It's like to watch all the shows I wanna watch I have to subscribe to many streaming services. Ain't gonna do that.
@sallypup (48689)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I wish I could. The darned garbage company insists I pay them and not just when I am in the mood.
@sallypup (48689)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@ScribbledAdNauseum Somebody has to pay for the huge garbage trucks, the cans, the folks who deal with the garbage. I don't see how it can be a free service.
@sallypup I guess I meant what taxes we pay into the State.. But you're right, it can't really be a free service.
@sallypup (48689)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@ScribbledAdNauseum And taxes hopefully help keep things like streets in somewhat better shape.
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm more into getting rid f physical stuff that I don't use at this point.
I've been doing that as well. I've got a bag of things that aren't selling and that need to be donated to goodwill.
No point paying for something you do not use,
My thoughts exactly! Especially as some of these subscription services are just going up in price.
If we didnt use everything i would