Have you learnt anything about Australia from myLot?

Rockingham, Australia
My profile says I’ve been here seven years. I have learnt so much about the lives of citizens in other countries. Of course, every country is different but I have been surprised at some of the ‘beliefs’ people have had about Australia. As you can see from the image, we are a big country and, like the USA, we have a number of climatic regions. The country isn’t all hot and dry although the interior is. There are tropical rainforests in the north-east and mountain ranges in the south-east. Wikipedia says we are the ‘oldest, flattest and driest inhabited continent, with the least fertile soils’. We also get more snow than Switzerland. Most of the population lives around the coast. We have six states, three mainland territories (please don’t ask me the difference!) and are responsible for a number of islands. And we have a hot Christmas! I’ve been asked a lot of questions about Australia and have tried to answer them honestly. So I’m wondering if, over my seven years here: have I smashed any of your preconceived ideas about Australia? Image is free to use.
I learned that Australia seems to have alot of endurance rides!
@ptrikha_2 (36157)
@snowy22315 Yes I concur with that!
• Rockingham, Australia
Haha. Well said!! And I hope you learnt a lot about roos too. If you didn't, I've failed.
@JudyEv Hey how is Vince doing? you haven't mentioned him lately? Is he home?
You're the only person I know here that has shared things about Australia. Thank you for that.
• Rockingham, Australia
There are a few Australians here but not very many.
@ptrikha_2 (36157)
@JudyEv Yes there is one more probably from Perth but she is irregular. Then I think a user named Valmnz was active from New Zealand but I haven't checked her discussions since a long time.
@RubyHawk (50299)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I learned that Christmas is your hottest season where it’s our coldest.and more that I’m not thinking of right now. Oh, and that Bougainville is a near island.
• Rockingham, Australia
It's hard to think of things when you are put on the spot. I've learnt a lot about America too. When I first joined, people would talk about their state and I had no idea where in the US they lived. So I learnt where all the states were and then I could relate more to what they were saying. There is an internet quiz where you can name all the states. Then I went on and learnt the capitals of each state.
@RubyHawk (50299)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv Then you know more than I do. I knew all the capitals of the states but over the years I’ve forgotten.We all should continue to broaden our knowledge.
• Rockingham, Australia
@RubyHawk I've forgotten some now but every now and then I go back and refresh my memory.
@DocAndersen (55524)
what i have learned nickname is oz wonderful people it is often hot they keep changing the name of rocks (Uhuru, Ayers)
• Rockingham, Australia
Except that we spell it correctly - Uluru!! lol I'm glad you think we're wonderful.
@DocAndersen (55524)
@JudyEv i do - i have had the pleasure of visiting down under, it is amazing!
@PhredWreck (6161)
Y'all ain't done bad for a bunch of former convicts
• Rockingham, Australia
Yes, a great many of us are descended from common criminals. Just ask some of the English toffs although they're not quite as toffy-nosed as they once were. We have someone in the background that was transported for stealing a horse. Nice avatar, JJ. I was battling to recognise you.
@ptrikha_2 (36157)
@PhredWreck Somehow you seem to resemble someone!! Or may be it us plain tiredness at 11.38 PM??
@ptrikha_2 (36157)
I have indeed learnt a lot about Australia and the Aussies from your posts. Your travel trips in 2020 were a delight. In fact, earlier, for me Australia was a big country- continent with sone big cities like Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra, Coral Reefs, A big inland dry area, and above all excellent cricket and hockey players and a lot of sledging. And well big cricket grounds!
• Rockingham, Australia
Haha - a lot of sledging and tampering with cricket balls. And do you remember the underarm bowling incident? I was ashamed of our country that day.
@ptrikha_2 (36157)
@JudyEv That was a long time back. In fact, I read in a book (by Ravi Shastri) that Ian Chappell- the Aussie cricketer who asked his brother Trevor to bowl underarm was not supported by Greg Chappell, who also was in the same team. But that is a long tine now - around 41 years!
@ptrikha_2 (36157)
@JudyEv But that incident had led to some cricket rule changes. Now there are more active issues like Quarantine conditions, venues for tournaments etc.
@DeborahDiane (36902)
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - Yes! I have learned a ton about Australia from you! I would love to come visit someday!
• Rockingham, Australia
Wouldn't that be something? Soon, I think, we'll be letting visitors in but it still seems very risky to me.
• Laguna Woods, California
@JudyEv - I think Australia is being smart. (I agreed with the decision they made about that unvaccinated tennis player). I think that allowing so much international travel is just making the pandemic worse, and last longer. (Thanks for fixing up your guest room for me! )
• Rockingham, Australia
@DeborahDiane Our border to the East was supposed to open on Feb 5 but last night they announced it's staying shut. I don't know what to think any more. I mean, how long can we afford to stay closed off from the rest of the world?
@oahuwriter (19796)
I knew Australia is in the southern hemisphere. I've enjoyed learning about your country. Love the pictures, festivities and well, understanding life in the southern hemisphere.
• Rockingham, Australia
I have enjoyed learning how people in other communities spend their days too. It's stuff you don't really pick up from textbooks.
@oahuwriter (19796)
@JudyEv Yes, real life. Many if life happening are universal. Some very different, like your warm Christmas.
• Rockingham, Australia
@oahuwriter The US health system was an eye-opener to me and made me much more appreciative of ours.
• Nairobi, Kenya
I know some online influencers from Australia like Lana Vawser and Robert Clancy
• Rockingham, Australia
@mildredtabitha Yes, thanks. I found them and read up about them.
• Nairobi, Kenya
@JudyEv nice. You are blessed to produce scientists too
@DaddyEvil (68801)
You're from Australia? Have you ever told me that before?
• Rockingham, Australia
I might have once or twice - but maybe not for a while.
@DaddyEvil (68801)
@JudyEv No wonder you posted photos of kangaroos so much.
• Rockingham, Australia
@DaddyEvil Duh You've finally woken up? The roos should have been a good indicator.
I have always found your posts about Australia very interesting, My husband was there twice around Sydney for business, I also have written about Australia for my armchair travel blog so I know it is a very interesting country, You have just made me more curious about the country and I loved your kangaroo photos,
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. I know you often put up very informative posts here on Australian subjects.
@JudyEv you live in a very interesting country and there are so many amazing animals
• Rockingham, Australia
@RasmaSandra Thanks. I guess the continent has been cut off from the rest of the world for a very long time.
For sure, I have learned a little bit about Australia by the things that members from Australia post. It’s still ambiguous to a degree but being here and learning from people like you have helped me clear up some of the cliches that tv displays as what Australia is like. I’m from the US and I know for a fact that movies and news do not properly show what it’s like here.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's true. After Crocodile Dundee hit the cinemas and then Steve Irwin had his TV programs, many overseas people thought Australia was populated by crocodiles and nasty creatures.
@JudyEv I’m 36 but ever since I was a little girl, my dream was to visit Australia. It has fascinated me my entire life lol. Maybe one day I’ll have the means to plan a vacation there.
• Rockingham, Australia
@NevermoreHoar I hope you get here one day. You have time on your side. I'm 75 and beginning to wonder if I'll ever travel much again.
I've loved hearing about Australia from your posts. What always amazed me were the pictures of the roos in your yard. They are as common as seeing deer in our yards here. Plus I forget you are opposite seasons than we are . I've thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts all these years
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. I would feel a bit of a fraud if I put up too many roo photos as we don't see them now but I did enjoy sharing those photos at the time.
@JudyEv I always enjoyed all the photos you've posted over the years. The roos really were great to see and I also loved seeing Herc.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Marilynda1225 Herc was so lovely. He holds a special spot in my heart.
• Northampton, England
Australia has equalled its hottest day on record after a remote coastal town reported temperatures of 50.7C (123.26F). !!
• Rockingham, Australia
Yes, we heard that on the news last night. And two other towns were only 0.2 degrees cooler.
• Northampton, England
@JudyEv never known numbers like that on the coast.
• Rockingham, Australia
@thedevilinme A lot of the places in the north and interior get high temperatures.
@Sojourn (12496)
I learnt about the equestrian culture over at your place. But I didn't harbor any preconceived notions before, so no smashing here
• Rockingham, Australia
I had preconceived ideas about some countries so it's been really good to have conversations with 'ordinary' people like myself.
@Sojourn (12496)
@JudyEv Did those ideas got debunked? The image is pretty creative.
• Rockingham, Australia
@Sojourn I didn't know a lot about some areas/countries. I was surprised that the health system in the US seems much worse than ours. Years ago, the US led the world in very many ways but its reputation has suffered a beating lately.
I have learned from you but this map you just posted was very enlightening. Good for you!
• Rockingham, Australia
I was very surprised to learn that America is very similar in size to us.
@JudyEv But you have a smaller population, I suppose.
• Rockingham, Australia
@marguicha Yes, we would a much smaller population. There is almost no one throughout the interior.
@averygirl72 (28613)
I knew Australia is a country and a continent too. I just heard that Christmas there is hot which is really weird for me
• Rockingham, Australia
I would have Christmas would be warm in the Philippines. Is it wet at Christmas? Or cold? I have no idea.
@averygirl72 (28613)
@JudyEv Christmas now differs a lot when I am younger. Now it is not as cool as before. Sometimes it is raining now. Before it was really cold and dry not rainy
• Rockingham, Australia
@averygirl72 I had always you might have had a hot Christmas. I've learnt something.
My preconceived ideas about Australia left me wanting to learn more. It was only a couple of years ago that I started seeing 'fake' news about how 'dangerous' it is to live there. Fake or real, I've learned a lot about the different animals, birds, reptiles, and the like that make their home in Australia. I've always wanted to visit Australia and hope I get the chance one day. If not, I will continue to enjoy learning all I can from you as I learn your idioms, culture, and the people who live there.
• Rockingham, Australia
Most of us never see any of the most dangerous creatures yet I've met many people who never want to come here because of the perceived danger.
@JudyEv It's a shame. I'm sure they're missing out on a lot of beauty.
@CarolDM (169058)
• Nashville, Tennessee
I always learn from your posts and am so glad you share information and roo photos.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. It's been lovely to have somewhere to write about our life here.
@CarolDM (169058)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@JudyEv I know it has, and we all enjoy hearing about it.
Thank you for this interesting post. I knew that your Australian Alps (or Snowy Mountains) receive more snow than Switzerland... we got nothing this winter here in the south. Australia was the second country to give women the vote, here in Europe Switzerland has been the LAST!
• Rockingham, Australia
I always think we've done quite well as a 'small' country as in having world-class scientists, etc but we're not really small at all. However, we don't have the same proportion of population as some of the European countries.
@JudyEv Australia is a big country with a small population, you have more or less 4 times the Swiss population, but Switzerland is only 0.53% the size of Australia.