Browned off - a new phrase for you perhaps?

Rockingham, Australia
The photo has nothing to do with the post. Just a very wet kangaroo, probably browned off by the weather. There are not many Australians on myLot but I am one of several. I occasionally use phrases that people are not familiar with. Sometimes I know the word/phrase will be unfamiliar but I use it anyway thinking why should I change my natural way of writing. From time to time, I am surprised that what is a very common word to me will be unknown to others. ‘Chook’ is one, meaning a chicken or hen. Chook is very common in Australia but seems mostly unknown elsewhere. My latest offering was ‘browned off’. I did wonder if it would be unfamiliar and it seems it was. It means ‘fed up’ but I couldn’t find an explanation as to how it came into being. There is a belief that maybe it stems from fruit which, when left out and browned by the sun, is no longer so appealing, The term seems to date from around World War II and is most widely associated with the British forces. So, is it a new phrase to you?
@Fleura (18452)
Chooks is definitely in common use here in the UK too. As for 'browned off' - it's a phrase that used to be in common use but isn't any more. It's a saying I remember from reading old story books when I was a child! Funny how language changes continually.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's nice you know about 'chooks'. And as for 'browned off' @PhredWreck @Fleura, just because a few didn't know it, I'm assuming it's not well known. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Oops, sorry. Couldn't help myself.
@Fleura (18452)
@MALUSE The fruit sounds like a likely origin. And yes I have noticed how language has changed - even when reading through my own school exercise books!
• Rockingham, Australia
@MALUSE Thanks for the adding that. That's mostly where I got my information from.
@PhredWreck (6095)
Perhaps new for many, but not for me. I've come across it a few times reading books.
@soymex (962)
• Bucharest, Romania
For me, there are many words that do not have an english translation, "sarmale" (minced meat wrapped in farce sheets and cooked with various spices), cartabosi (a kind of sausage, homemade) and many others that do not come to me now in mind!
@Fleura (18452)
What are farce sheets?
@soymex (962)
• Bucharest, Romania
@Fleura cabbage
@Fleura (18452)
@soymex Aha I see! I think I have eaten those when a Romanian friend here made them, but I didn't know their proper name.
@flapiz (13496)
I've lived in Australia for 3 good years and this is the first time I've heard of browned off. Although I know what chook is. I love Aussie lingo and how McDonalds is Maccas and BBQ is barbie. And how afternoon is arvo. Sometimes I still use these terms and people would look at me weirdly.
• Rockingham, Australia
We do tend to shorten a lot of our words, that's for sure.
@flapiz (13496)
@JudyEv This discussion makes me miss the laid back Australian culture. And this time of year is summer too. OMG take me back.
• Rockingham, Australia
@flapiz Be careful what you wish for. It's going to get to the high 30Cs here today.
yes, the ones you mentioned are new to me. I love when i learn a new Australian term from you! Don't ever change the way you write, i love it! I don't write out words from the specific area of Pittsburgh which has all its own yinzer language
• Rockingham, Australia
I'm sure there are lots of words and phrases that I wouldn't understand.
@JudyEv I think it is just where we grew up, lived and the culture from all that which lets us know the different terms that people in own areas better than the rest of the world if that makes sense
• Rockingham, Australia
@Marty1 That makes perfect sense. How are you feeling now, Jennifer?
I never heard "browned off" and I never knew that chook is used referred to chickens or hens. Both are new for me, thank you Judy.
• Rockingham, Australia
I thought you might have remembered 'chook' from my posts here, not that it matters. Now, I usually put 'chook' then 'chicken' in brackets.
@JudyEv - Now that you mention this, I remember you wrote "chook" for chicken in the past.
• Nairobi, Kenya
Yes it is a new phrase but I'm glad I've learned something new today including chook
• Rockingham, Australia
'Chook' is a really old term here. 'Chicken' usually means a chick or baby chook. lol
• Nairobi, Kenya
@JudyEv I will try to use it here so I can teach few more people in my place
@cacay1 (67064)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
We have here very famous chicken a la carte named CHOOCS TO GO.
• Rockingham, Australia
That's a great name. So 'chook' is known in the Philippines.
@cacay1 (67064)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@JudyEv, yes because of that chicken a la carte. I like their chicken wings.
@DocAndersen (55310)
i cannot say I've ever heard that - fun I think i am going to adopt it!
• Rockingham, Australia
We say it as a matter of course so it's a bit of a surprise when someone says they've never heard it.
@DocAndersen (55310)
@JudyEv i suspect I've heard it, just didn't register with a meaning!
It is a new phrase to me.I have learnt lots of phrases from your posts.Some are your local ones,for example the "crash-hot".
• Rockingham, Australia
Idioms can be very puzzling at times. It's probably the hardest part of learning a new language.
@JudyEv So.right! However I am very interested in them.just as I do in Chinese idioms.
@BarBaraPrz (34726)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
Not new to me. In fact, it's old. I haven't heard anyone use it in ages. I came across "chook" in one of the Royal Spyness books. Continue to use your idioms, that's what makes the 'Lot so interesting. I recently confused someone with "dropping like flies".
• Rockingham, Australia
I remember you using 'dropping like flies'. It all expands our minds and vocab so it's all good.
@LindaOHio (82254)
Yes it's new to me. Thanks for the explanation. Chook is new as well.
• Rockingham, Australia
A 'chicken' to most Australians, certainly older ones, refers to the babies, not the adult hens.
Not familiar with both of those words mentioned
• Rockingham, Australia
I've learnt some new terms here too although Fiacre's long words I struggle to remember.
It is a new phrase for me, but I was pretty sure what it meant when I read the title. That is a nice picture of the roo.
• Rockingham, Australia
It rained heavily most of the day and that roo just sat it out under the shelter of the shrub. Its joey was nearby under its own bush.
You're right, I've never heard that one before. I find it interesting to read about the different phrases used by different countries that also speak 'English' ..... I wish I were still interested in traveling but that's a ship that sailed a long time ago.
• Rockingham, Australia
I sometimes wonder if we'll ever travel again. We may not even get to the other side of the country.
I hope you will. Now that you don't have such a large home to care for you could probably spend half your time on the road.
• Rockingham, Australia
@rebelann Worry about contracting covid would keep us at home.
@RubyHawk (49919)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Both phrases are new to me. I use some words and phrases that others don’t understand. I grew up in the lower Appalachians. Long ago people there were isolated and spoke differently than everyday language. Of course times have changed but some words and phrases linger.
• Rockingham, Australia
Until covid, everyone (well, most anyway) were incredibly mobile and local colloquialisms mostly petered out.
@RubyHawk (49919)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv You don’t hear much of it here now. It’s been educated out of the younger generation.
• Rockingham, Australia
@RubyHawk Yes, I can believe that.
I would rather go for something that everyone understands. There are so many phrases that are understood by most. and 'browned off' has as many as 86 synonyms
https://rb.gy/iuopnb
• Rockingham, Australia
In some ways I agree, but I don't want to feel I have to become pseudo-American or pseudo-Indian or pseudo-anything else just so people here can understand me. And half the time I'm surprised by their not knowing something that, to me, is commonplace. Nowadays, I try to write anything I think might be a problem first in my lingo (language) then in brackets after.
@JudyEv I can understand pronunciations being different but why should one use phrases that are not common when one can use those that are common. Talking about pronunciation when my niece arrived from Australia I just could not understand what her kids were saying as they were speaking the way an Australian would (lol)
• Rockingham, Australia
@allknowing My problem has been, in some instances, that if a phrase is common to me, I have no idea that it isn't common to others. I had no idea that 'fortnight' wasn't a common term but some had never heard of it. I can understand the pronunciation being difficult but there is no right or wrong as regards that.
@velvet53 (21610)
• Palisade, Colorado
These words are new to me and thank you for explaining them. I always like to learn new things and you have always been a big help.
• Rockingham, Australia
Thanks. Sometimes I'm surprised at all the differences but I guess I shouldn't be.
@velvet53 (21610)
• Palisade, Colorado
@JudyEv Oh but those surprises can be wonderful.
• Rockingham, Australia
Yes, it is. Thank you for sharing it.
• Rockingham, Australia
I'm always surprised when something that is very familiar to me is unknown to others.
@JudyEv We expect everyone to know what we do. That's the surprise when they don't.
• Rockingham, Australia
@just4him Yes, I guess so.
@moffittjc (102701)
• Gainesville, Florida
Totally new phrase for me. But I love learning about different words or phrases from other countries, so keep them coming! I always find them totally interesting!
• Rockingham, Australia
I still get surprised at what comes over as 'unknown'. Often I put a second term/meaning in brackets so I guess that helps a bit.
@moffittjc (102701)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv It does help a lot.