What would you use this for?

@Fleura (18452)
United Kingdom
While exploring a small town not far away Little One and I stumbled across an antique/junk/bric-a-brac shop. And on top of a pile of boxes and cases in the far corner I found this tin. I was very pleased, it’s just what I wanted and a really good size - many tins that have come my way are just that little bit too small. This one is 25 cm (10 inches) across and 12 cm (5 inches) deep. Plenty of room for a largish cake plus any icing or decorations too! I took it to the till along with a couple of other purchases and the lady (who seemed to be standing in for the owner that day) remarked ‘What a pretty tin! What will you use it for?’ I replied ‘Cake’. She and another customer nearby both seemed surprised at this! What would you put in a cake tin? All rights reserved. © Text and image copyright Fleur 2022.
If not a cake, I would put homemade biscuits. May be they recycle those tins to store sewing things. I used a rectangular ones for my sewing things.
I used to have something like this and I used it for my thread and needles and buttons.
@marlina I also store my thread and needles in the rectangular one and I have buttons in a round one, smaller than this in the photo.
@Fleura (18452)
@LadyDuck I have a round tin of buttons too, once upon a time it contained a Dundee cake (so it says) but that was long, long ago - it is the same tin my mother inherited from her mother!
@PhredWreck (6095)
Well, used to been my Dad would use something of that nature for holding assorted nuts/bolts/screws.
@DaddyEvil (68452)
I use glass jars for nuts, bolts and screws.
@Fleura (18452)
@DaddyEvil I tend to use glass jars as well, so I can see what's inside. Of course then if any get knocked off the shelf it makes a real mess : (
@Fleura Mom used the jars for jams/jellies and such, Dad was forever getting a couple of fruitcakes each Christmas from different shipping companies, he was the head of traffic control (as shipping was called long ago) for a local bicycle manufacturer (AMF).
Cakes are too big for such a small tin.
@Fleura (18452)
It's 25 cm (10 inches) across and 12 cm (5 inches) deep. A good size for a cake baked in an 8 inch tin, and it means there's enough space that any icing or decoration also fits and doesn't get smeared!
@Fleura You could have included the size in the post. I wanted to ask about it. Thanks for thinking of centimeters as well!
@Fleura (18452)
@MALUSE Sorry, I will add that now, and yes I should have put a cake beside the tin in the photo too really! Here it is now.
@DaddyEvil (68452)
That looks like a tin that some cookies at Christmas might come in. I've never seen a cake come in a tin like that. When I still bothered to make fudge and candy as Christmas gifts for friends, I bought tins like that to put those in for presents. But I haven't done that in ten or fifteen years.
I've seen fruitcake come in tins like that back in the day.
@Fleura (18452)
It's quite big - 10 inches across and 5 deep. It means a cake made in an 8 inch cake tin will fit inside comfortably, and the lid seals really snugly so it will keep the cake from drying out.
@DaddyEvil (68452)
@PhredWreck I never liked fruitcakes so never paid attention to them.
@xFiacre (10402)
@fleura That’s exactly what my wife’s looking for - a tin that won’t squash the icing on her cakes. And pretty with it. ( the tin and my wife both to be clear)
@Fleura (18452)
They are not easy to come by are they?
I would use it for putting chocolates. Cakes go in the fridge that I steam each time we want to eat it.
@Fleura (18452)
Those are a different type. If you put our regular type of cake in the fridge it goes dry and rubbery.
@Fleura Steaming gets back its moisture
@Fleura (18452)
@allknowing i will try that if one gets too dry, thanks!
@CarolDM (168666)
• Nashville, Tennessee
Cookies probably. A nice tin.
@Fleura (18452)
It's pretty isn't it? And a lovely deep gold colour inside too.
@CarolDM (168666)
• Nashville, Tennessee
@Fleura Yes it is very pretty.
@cacay1 (67064)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
We can keep something.
@Fleura (18452)
Like cake? I was confused about why the ladies in the shop were surprised when I said I was going to keep cake in the cake tin!
@cacay1 (67064)
• Cagayan De Oro, Philippines
@Fleura she was ignoramus.
@soymex (962)
• Bucharest, Romania
I think it would be best suited to be used as a money box! You only put in some kind of money, say 100! , and don't walk on it until it's full!
@Fleura (18452)
I think it might take quite a long time to fill!
@soymex (962)
• Bucharest, Romania
@Fleura Yes, but also when it is full ...
Judging from the pictures on the tin,maybe It is used to hold snacks eaten while drink coffee.
@Fleura (18452)
I would have thought it was a fairly typical cake tin (for storing cake so it doesn't go dry). That's why I was rather puzzled when people seemed surprised that I was going to put cake in it!
It always depends on the tin. I have quite a few mostly rectangular or square in which I have stored the negatives of all the pictures I took before digital gadgets came along.
• Rockingham, Australia
Cake! I guess maybe they don't bake cakes.