Have you ever used an air fryer?

Midland, Michigan
I have a free standing air fryer but tonight I made chicken using the air fryer inside the oven for the first time. The thing I like about my free standing one is that it doesn't heat up the house like ovens do but I wasn't sure whether that would hold true when they are in the oven itself. I discovered that in that way it's just like the free standing type. They also don't take as long to cook. Normally in the oven I'll cook chicken for an hour to make sure it gets done enough. Today I did cook it longer than the recipe said but it was still a shorter time, only 26 minutes. We or I should say my husband is starting a healthy eating plan this Sunday. He'll be eating protein and up to three cups of veggies depending on their carb content. It's with a program called optavia. I'll probably be using the air fryer more for his meals. The pic, once it loads it's a piece of chicken breast as and baked potatoes for tonight's supper.
I have seen Dixie use her air fryer and I will not buy one.
• Midland, Michigan
Why not?
@Aquitaine24 (10545)
• San Jose, California
Why not?
@marguicha I bought, tried , brought it back.
@CarolDM (182398)
I have not used one but many have them. My cousin uses hers all the time and loves it.
• Midland, Michigan
I have an insta pot too and used it all the time the first year but not so much since. I hope I will again one day.
@CarolDM (182398)
@MarshaMusselman Never used one of those either.
@Aquitaine24 (10545)
• San Jose, California
@MarshaMusselman is an instantpot similar to a crockpot?
@DWDavis (20095)
• Pikeville, North Carolina
We have a free-standing air fryer and we love it. It does an especially good job with tater tots, chicken nuggets, chicken tenders, baked potatoes, and taquitos.
• Midland, Michigan
I used mine last year for keto foods like zucchini chips.
Oh my goodness. I guess I don't really need it air fryer. I don't eat tater tots, chicken nuggets, chicken tenders, or taquitos. The baked potatoes sound good! LOL
• Midland, Michigan
@TheSojourner I'm not going to use the air fryer for those items but mainly because I need to bake many of my meals and we don't have a/c so it house will get to hot using the oven. I'll still have to use the oven for any casseroles we make though. Maybe I'll make extra and freeze them for days when it's too hot to use the oven.
Oh yes, I like them. I will be using mine alot this summer in lieu of the oven.
• Midland, Michigan
It's yours a stand alone version then? They are certainly a lot cooler. Meaning they don't heat up the house.
@MarshaMusselman Yes, it is. It is great for summertime cooking in my opinion.
• Midland, Michigan
@snowy22315 I agree.
@Aquitaine24 (10545)
• San Jose, California
No, but I have used an air popper.
• Midland, Michigan
I've used those too. I guess you can pop popcorn in an air fryer too although I'll probably not use it for that
@Aquitaine24 (10545)
• San Jose, California
@MarshaMusselman well, it is an air popper. You can have popcorn without all the junk that is in microwave popcorn. So the concept is the same because you get a healthier food.
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
I haven't succumbed to the air fryer fad. We like our grease too much lol
• Midland, Michigan
Then do you own a deep fryer?
• Defuniak Springs, Florida
@MarshaMusselman No, well kind of. There's one at my mother in laws that I can have if I want it. I just haven't found a need for it. My counter space is already limited between the microwave, toaster oven, instant pot, croc pot and rice cooker.
• Midland, Michigan
@thislittlepennyearns we have more counter space than we did before but there's never enough. In fact, I have to rearrange things to get my stand alone unit on my counter again.
I use mine quite often
• Midland, Michigan
I'll be using it more this summer I'm sure. How are you doing Paige? I've not seen you around in a while.
@MarshaMusselman I pop in briefly, it seems. Busy working and doing okay. You?
• Midland, Michigan
@paigea I'm doing better actually because a few weeks ago I dropped from full time status to part time. I'm hoping in a few years that I can retire. Part time is less stressful on my body too.
@kaylachan (33046)
Not surprised some ovens have air frying built in. If I do use our oven tonight, it'll just bake. Which is fine with me. I don't have an air fryer, but I did buy a small waffle maker so I won't have to make store bought so much.
• Midland, Michigan
I have the small waffle maker to and used it a lot when making my keto foods
@kaylachan (33046)
@MarshaMusselman I'm sure that's handy.
• Midland, Michigan
@kaylachan it was
@thelme55 (74967)
No, I don’t have air fryer but I have heard that it produces yummy food.
• Midland, Michigan
So can an oven but these take less time to cook and don't heat up the house like ovens do.
@thelme55 (74967)
@MarshaMusselman You are right. I avoid using the oven when it’s hot temperature.
@pitsipeahie (3673)
Yes, we have one and I just used it yesterday for a whole chicken. Love this small kitchen appliance its very useful for us.
• Rockingham, Australia
W have one but rarely use it. Having said that we may use it tonight.
• Midland, Michigan
Lol. My stand alone one is still in the bedroom where I stopped it during the remodel. Is have to move several boxes to get it out. One day that will happen.
@Dena91 (17696)
We have had our air fryer for several years now and enjoy using it. Your dinner looks good. I hope your husband does well with the new eating plan.
• Midland, Michigan
I've had mine for one to two years but the one included in the oven is new as we replaced or appliances this past winter when we redid our kitchen.
@dgobucks226 (30010)
I bought an air fryer/toaster from William Sonoma recently. I made chicken nuggets and fries and they tasted better than McDonalds!!! And yes, your right, foods cook much faster than in an oven
• Midland, Michigan
I'm looking forward to experimenting with different veggies in mine.
I have seen air fryers being a popular kitchen appliance here for years already but I have to consider its effect on our health. In fact, we stopped using microwave ovens and just use conventional ovens.
• Midland, Michigan
I think what we eat has more impact on our health than what we cook out food in but we all have to make those choices for ourselves.
@Morleyhunt (21741)
I haven’t used an air fryer…My kitchen isn’t big enough for me to get all the gadgets.
• Midland, Michigan
I'm sure that will be the last one I can get for the same reason. Had we purchased our appliances before this year maybe it's not have bought the stand alone since I have the one in my oven and it worked well.
I like my air fryer oven, it cuts down on the cook time and keeps the kitchen cooler.
• Midland, Michigan
I agree on both counts. Keeping the kitchen cooler is the main reason I'll be using mine more.
@aninditasen (4641)
• Raurkela, India
I have a air fryer and make paneer in it every week. However I have to open the kitchen window and face its back towards it for the hot air to go out. I have every fried basa fish.
• Midland, Michigan
That's cool that they're available where you live too. They might be a bit different is you have hour air coming from it because we don't.
• Raurkela, India
@MarshaMusselman How's your air fryer? Can you load a photo? Mine is a bit bulky. I like a microwave more than an air fryer as it has no such problem.
• Midland, Michigan
@aninditasen my stand alone is still behind boxes in a bedroom where I put things too get ready for our kitchen remodel. The one I've been using is inside the oven.
@pumpkinjam (8110)
I don't have one (wouldn't have anywhere to put it) but I have seen my mum use hers. I don't think she uses it much. I believe the idea was to make things easier for her (she struggles with the cooker/oven) and for my dad's health. They will both cook things in the air fryer then finish them off in a frying pan - entirely defeating the purposes for which they bought it!
• Midland, Michigan
I wonder why they do that unless the food aren't cooked enough to r their liking. I just increased the time by ten minutes to ensure the chicken was cooked thoroughly.
@MarshaMusselman I think they just prefer everything to be disgustingly fatty and don't really like the taste of real food
• Midland, Michigan
@pumpkinjam I'm sure a lot of people still consider that to be the taste of real food. It doesn't help that those carbs are addicting.
I love our air fryer for shortening the cooking times on things. Some things taste much better in there then in an oven such as mozzarella sticks etc. The recipes I have made and cooked in there don’t ever taste good though.
• Midland, Michigan
Are you saying recipes you made up? You already said some things are better.
@MarshaMusselman right like fries, mozzarella sticks all taste better in there but recipes I’ve found on Pinterest and made in it weren’t good such as this one I’m adding a link to :
https://www.sustainablecooks.com/air-fryer-potatoes/
• Midland, Michigan
@shaggin I made a few things in the past that didn't turn out. I cooked zucchini chips in it today and could have left them in longer than I did.
@LeaPea2417 (33536)
• Toccoa, Georgia
No I have never used one.
• Midland, Michigan
I don't have a/c so it helps keep the heat out of the kitchen while cooking things in less time. I didn't have one right away though and didn't use it last year since I was clearing things out of our kitchen too get ready for our remodel.
@LeaPea2417 (33536)
• Toccoa, Georgia
@MarshaMusselman that's good that it keeps the hot air out of the kitchen.
• Midland, Michigan
@LeaPea2417 it's the best part.