We Didn't Get The Best News

Good morning and happy Wednesday everyone! I have things I want to do today but I'm feeling lazy. The weather is overcast so maybe that's contributing to my lack of motivation. Yesterday our dog Gizmo had to go back to the vet. He's been having breathing issues and although he's on medication it isn't working as well as the vet had hoped. He's old now (13 years) and is just the best dog. To make a long story short it looks like his quality of life is rapidly going downhil l so the vet suggested it's time to think about his end of life. Not immediately but... Hard to deal with but I knew it was coming. I'm sure many of you can relate Right now he's sleeping by my feet
@Beestring (817)
Sorry to hear about this.
It's sad but he's old now. He gave us lots of love all these past years.
@Marilynda1225 Understand. I had a lovely cat before.
@Beestring It's never easy to lose a pet
@CarolDM (186515)
Oh no Marilyn. I am so sorry about Gizmo. I feel for you right now. Such a difficult time. Brendel is 13 as well. Thoughts are with you. Enjoy these precious moments.
Gizmo has the same problem as Brendel (bronchitis). He's been on steroids and they are helping but not as much as the vet thought they would. He sleeps a lot but he's still a happy dog when he's awake. He is just the best
@CarolDM (186515)
@Marilynda1225 I thought you shared that before. I know you are giving him the best life possible. Brendel sleeps so much, I check her for breathing every day.
@CarolDM yes I did mention it before a few months ago and he seemed to do better at first and now he's just declining. The vet finally agreed there isn't anything more to do and that he'll just get worse as time goes on. No definite time-frame but just something for us to accept
@RubyHawk (62651)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I’m sorry, We had to put down two dogs at different times. They were both old and sick. It’s heartbreaking.
It is sad when our pets get old and sick. Gizmo has been a wonderful dog and has the best temperament. It will be sad when the time comes but I don't want to see him suffer
@MarieCoyle (5482)
Pets are part of our family. Kind of like a child or a life companion. Problem being, of course, that they don't live long enough. I know this hurt well, and I hope you can spend some more time with Gizmo before he has to move on. It's so hard.
It is very hard knowing that he's just going to keep getting worse and that at some point (probably sooner rather than later) we'll have to make the decision. I certainly won't want him to suffer so it will be what it is
@Marilynda1225 I've lived that pain and it's very hard. I'm sorry, but I am glad you will not let him suffer. It sounds like you gave him a wonderful life.
@RebeccasFarm (65339)
I am so sorry Marilyn poor doggie. I can sympathize entirely.
It's never easy to lose a pet. It will be heartbreaking when the time comes for Gizmo
@Marilynda1225 Oh I know it Marilyn I know I have lost plenty of pets
Thinking of his best interest would be something to deal with. And the one thing that should ease the burden a little. It will be ok. Having some kind of control is better than having none at all.
It's just something we have to think about as he's declining and not getting any better. Tough to make these decisions but I certainly don't want him to suffer so when the time looks like it near we'll have to do what we need to,
@Marilynda1225 I am glad you have all you had to hold on to.
@thelme55 (75198)
Oh, no! I am sorry. I can relate to that sad news.
I know many here can relate to the heartbreaking news of losing a pet. He's been a wonderful dog with the sweetest disposition so he'll surely be missed when the time comes
@Aiana18 (288)
• Belo Horizonte, Brazil
I wonder how much joy Gizmo has brought to your home. May he go in peace and without pain if possible.
I certainly don't want to see him suffer or be in pain so we know that he won't get better only worse so the decision is still going to be hard.He has brought a lot of joy to our home
So sad
Right now he's okay, sleeps a lot and we know now that he's not going to get better. The day we dreaded is closer than we thought
It is never easy to watch our beloved pets' health decline. I hope that you and those in your family who are close with Gizmo can make your final peace with him before his next trip to the vet's office.
Over the past few months we noticed him declining and the vet finally agreed that he isn't going to get any better. Our other dog Mush will probably be the one who doesn't understand where Gizmo is when he isn't here anymore.
It will be really tough deciding, but you won't want him to suffer.
He's not suffering right now but he's declining and old. He sleeps a lot but happy when he's awake. Slowly he's losing interest in a lot of things. It's sad but I definitely don't want him to suffer and will have to make that tough decision sooner than I thought.
Ohh that is sad, Poor Gizmo. When they start to have trouble breathing...that usually signifies the end is coming. Sorry, a hard time is coming for you both. I know how it is.
It's not easy but he's been declining for the past few months. The vet finally admitted that he's going downhill (not rapidly) but it's time to think about everything when the time comes (probably sooner rather than later). Pets just love us unconditionally and Gizmo really is the most loving docile dog
This is so sad, I am sorry, I know how much you love Gizmo.
@aninditasen (5807)
• Raurkela, India
Let him live as long as he can. Ask the vet to try and make him comfortable.
@dodo19 (45999)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
This is certainly not the sort of thing you want to hear. Although we know it's going to happen, it's still not easy. I'm sorry to hear this.
@LindaOHio (95348)
This breaks my heart. It's such a tough decision to make. I can totally understand how you must be feeling because we've said goodbye to 4 dogs along the way; and we still miss them. Be strong!
@moffittjc (105034)
• Gainesville, Florida
This is always going to be a concern with our pets, given their life spans are but a fraction of ours. It’s something we never want to think about, although we know it’s something we’re going to have to face. I hope Gizmo surprises everyone and lives in comfort and peace for many more years.
@wolfgirl569 (55767)
• Marion, Ohio
So sorry. They never stay with us long enough
@oahuwriter (23375)
• Rockingham, Australia
That's very sad but I always think that the last kind act a person can do is to end a pet's life before the suffering gets too great. Poor Gizmo. I hope you have a few more happy times at least.