Visiting the vet, plans change

I took Bitty to her vet appointment. As I got there Bob called to tell me he definitely would not be released today. My plans changed. I will go to Wichita tomorrow. Bitty weighs 2.2 lbs. Just a tiny bit less than 1Kg. She is anemic, and yes, covered in fleas. Vet treated her to kill fleas, tapeworms and ear mites. Could not get a blood sample to test for feline leukemia. Due to having a bit of rain the vet thought that she would be having a slow day and encouraged me to get the other cats in for their shots. Since I was not going to Wichita, when I got Bitty home I was able to put hands on Angel, due to the rain, and Lady. Angel went in the cat carrier. I could only find one today. Lady was a good car kitty. She sat on the console for the whole ten miles, periodically booping my elbow with her head. Vet was wrong about a slow day. Someone with cattle arrived before us. We waited in an exam room for almost an hour. Lady and Angel have now had their rabies and distemper shots for the year. And flea treatment for a month. The vet did not really find any fleas on the big girls. Big girls, I say. . . about 7.5 lbs each. So that would be a bit over 3 Kg. I believe. I will not make a third trip for Tinker today. I brought home flea treatment. I will get his shots sometime in the next week. Today I am shampooing the carpets, before Bob gets home. I need to kill fleas in the rugs.so we can get rid of the infestation.
@RubyHawk (62651)
• Atlanta, Georgia
How did Bitty get fleas and tapeworms? That sounds bad.
Bitty was a homeless kitty. I do not know where she came from, but she came with fleas. Animals who have fleas get tapeworms from ingesting the fleas when they groom themselves.
@RubyHawk (62651)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@GardenGerty I didn’t know fleas cause tapeworm. I learn something new on Mylot everyday.
@RubyHawk I only learned that when I had a kitty get tapeworm.
@wolfgirl569 (55767)
• Marion, Ohio
This time of year fleas can be very hard on kittens. I bathed a couple of mine today with dawn.
If I could not have gotten her in to the vet, I would have done it too. She needed her initial shots and checkup, though, so we did baby strength medicine.
@wolfgirl569 (55767)
• Marion, Ohio
@GardenGerty Frontline now has one for them at 1 and a half pounds.
I hope I never have to face fleas, it's bad enough that there are ticks out there that could bite Roscoe.
This treatment is for fleas, ticks, tapeworm and ear mites. I worry about ticks getting on me. I use an insect repellant and I plant herbs that help repel fleas. Did you know catnip will repel fleas?
Yes, peppermint too. I have both in the front where it gets more shade.
@kaylachan (34200)
I wish you the best of luck with those fleas.
The treatment will work on all the kitties.
@kaylachan (34200)
@GardenGerty Which is a good thing. We found that by getting the cats on a schedule and on the same treatment, they will respond better. And if you can keep it off the animals you aren't likely to get them in other places.
That is a big problem when cats get fleas. Nico isn't bothered since he doesn't go out, and Jax wears a flea collar at my instance. I didn't know Bob was in the hospital. I hope some answers are given.
I am glad you don't let him out it is so unsanitary. I love your cats name.
It seems it is just this little stray kitten. The adults seem to not have them, but we gave them a treatment anyway.
• Rockingham, Australia
At least you now have most of the cats treated. Some cats go a bit berserk when free in a car. It's good that Lady was so laid-back.
I have had about three that have ridden well. Lady and Angel shared the carrier coming home, though. I think it made them feel secure.
It is hard when cats get fleas, I try to keep the mama off as much as I can from the kittens because she goes in and out and I am sure she has some fleas but for now the kittens are clear and I am hoping to get them flea collars in a short while, I hope all will be well with Bob and keeping him in my prayers,
In this case the adults seem clear and it is just the baby.
@CarolDM (186515)
I wish you luck in getting rid of the fleas. What a job that has to be.
It has turned into one with this kitten. The adults seem clear but we treated them all as well.
A lot of work to get rid of the fleas. Our dog had them once. Haven't seen any on kitty, but gave him the treatment anyway. I should check if it's for ticks too. They are becoming more of a problem here.
Poor Bitty, she is such a tiny thing, I hope she will feel better after the treatments.
@RebeccasFarm (65339)
You take such good care of the kitties Heather. Hope you are well?
@LindaOHio (95348)
I'm sorry Bob couldn't come home yesterday. Hopefully soon. I'm glad you were able to take care of Bitty, Lady and Angel. Have a good day.
Hopefully he will be released soon. So little, only two pounds.