Graphic Novels

I often see students reading graphic novels at school. Anything that gets them reading is wonderful in my opinion. However, I have tried reading a few and I find the text all broken up with pictures stops the flow of the story. One I read was George Takai's, They Called Us Enemy. The story of his family being interred during WW2. I was very interested in the story, but I did not enjoy it as a graphic novel. Do you enjoy reading graphic novels? I am talking about regular novels written in a comic book formation. For example I read a Graphic Novel version of Little Women.
I did when I was a kid but not anymore. I wonder if in todays world graphic novels is a way to get kids to learn history?
I don't think these existed when I was a kid?
I always called them comic books, they've been around since the 1930s.
@rebelann I see. I'm thinking of novels like the classics as well as modern stories that are written as graphic novels.
• Rockingham, Australia
I don't think I've ever read one. I don't like books - gardening, recipe, etc - that are broken up with little boxes and paragraphs. I find it distracting.
I agree. I'm not sure why some people like them.
• Rockingham, Australia
@paigea They must sell okay or they'd stop doing it.
@JudyEv In school, I see them being read a lot.
@PhredWreck (7629)
• Olney, Illinois
The closest I've gotten to one is a comic book.
At first, that is exactly what I thought. They are turning good books into comic books. But maybe that's a good thing.
• Olney, Illinois
@paigea The first time I ever heard the phrase 'graphic novel' I thought it was talking about an intensely detailed violent story-line (as the word is used to describe some news reports), but my step-son (who is a graphic designer) quickly informed me otherwise.
@PhredWreck Good thing we have young people to keep us informed.
• Midland, Michigan
I've never read any before but I can see where kids might enjoy that.
Many seem to like them.
• Midland, Michigan
@paigea there are a few authors that have started writing these types of books for tweens that are also popular. I didn't know graphic novels was the term for them.
@MarshaMusselman That's what I've heard them called here. There are a lot of them now.
@DaddyEvil (80956)
I bought a couple before I realized what they were: Basically, comic books for more adult-type people. I donated them to the library here.
Luckily, I had borrowed them from the library. All the ones I've read were written for young people. I still don't think I'd enjoy the adult ones.
@DaddyEvil (80956)
@paigea Pictures are nice, once in a while, but when that's most of the book, I'm done.
@DaddyEvil I agree. The story got too disjointed.
I've never tried reading a graphic novel but I know my younger grandkids like this type of book
Many kids seem to like them. Good to have options.
@paigea like you said...if it keeps them reading
My kids are into some of those graphic novels. There is a book series Wings of Fire which my oldest loved . . . and she enjoyed the graphic novel versions later on. My youngest did not bother to read the novels but liked the graphic novels off the bat, but a bunch of details were of course left out. That's what I don't like about those kinds of graphic novels - it's overly edited and since there are too many visuals, it doesn't make use of "imagination".
Very true. I found the story disjointed.
@paigea Comics were designed to be comics. But for a novel that's already known, it's too difficult to chop it down to comic form. The flow of the story would be lost because all the story and details cannot be included.
@much2say Even with George Takai's book, I found it felt disjointed to me, and I think he wrote it as a graphic novel.
@CarolDM (186394)
I rarely read any more. Hard to keep my focus.
@CarolDM (186394)
@paigea That is good to hear. I don't know if I will get there or not. Our brains change, no doubt.
@moonandstars (59060)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
15h
not so much. i also got confused where is the text for next scene and so on.
15h
I agree.
I do enjoy graphic novels. I own They Called Us Enemy. It got mixed up with my other hundreds of books, so i will finish it evenually as i really liked the history part of it. But it made me mad the way they treated those poor Japanese people who did nothing wrong. I knew they were treated wrong, but didn't know the details. Thanks for reminding me to look for it now that i have my books on book shelves. I just have to find it.....
I did like the story. The same thing happened to Canadian- Japanese people. I have read some other histories about it
I've not read any graphic novels, I do not think that I'd enjoy them. The last thing that I read similar to that was a Peanuts book when I was 12.
They don't seem to be for me. Though I haven't tried an adult one, just ones for young readers
I haven't ever tried reading one. I think the one you mentioned sounds intriguing though.
It was written for young readers, so didn't take long to read.
@RebeccasFarm (65089)
I don't but my son does..he has many of them. He collects some. I do like books with pics though, the kind I can just look at pics without reading
I like pictures, but not so that they break up the reading. And I like the reading.
@moffittjc (105008)
• Gainesville, Florida
As a kid who was obsessed with all of Stephen King’s horror novels, it would be safe to say I enjoyed (and still enjoy) graphic novels!
Do you mean graphic as in the content? Or are his books made into graphic novels (Comic book style?)
@moffittjc (105008)
• Gainesville, Florida
@paigea Content