Ant invasion chez Horse!

Walnut Creek, California
One of the nice things about my house here is that I've rarely or never had to deal with ants. But the other day Kitty's dry food was teeming with ants. She was confused. I defied my own tendency not to kill anything and sprayed the little blighters and their path to Kitty's bowl with bug spray. But they were back in a day. So now I'm only feeding Kitty enough to eat right now. I am glad the ants are gone for...what's that crawling on me...wait...there are hundreds...no, thousands...they are trying to eat me...I must....aaarrgggghh.
Whenever they show up l get rid of them with salt.
With salt, really?
• Walnut Creek, California
@RubyHawk mentioned salt as well. I have salt here. How does it work?
@marlina. Yes, or soursop tree leaves.
@BarBaraPrz (37673)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
That was a gift from the squirrel, I think.
@BarBaraPrz (37673)
• St. Catharines, Ontario
@TheHorse He knew you didn't want fleas, so thought some 'aunts' would keep you company.
• Walnut Creek, California
I was wondering about that. I thought all the squirrel would bring would be fleas.
• Walnut Creek, California
@BarBaraPrz He is so kind.
Place the bowl of kitty food in a dish filled with water, the ants will be unable to go to the food. This is what I do.
• Walnut Creek, California
I may just try that! Are the ants smart enough not to drown?
@TheHorse Yes, the ants avoid to enter the water, if some do they die, the others learn quickly.
@wolfgirl569 (58593)
• Marion, Ohio
Ants can show up from nowhere. Hope you got away from them.
• Walnut Creek, California
Mmphrmph...
@wolfgirl569 (58593)
• Marion, Ohio
@TheHorse Sorry. Hope you escape
@Plethos (13524)
warm weather brings them out. good luck, it can be a long battle with ants.
• Walnut Creek, California
You look a lot like Jesus. Can you just comment the ants not to visit me? I don't like killing critters.
@Plethos (13524)
@TheHorse -ill talk to my buddy "down there", he mustve left the gate open from the pasture.
@RubyHawk (67541)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Sprinkle salt on their trail and they won’t be back.
• Walnut Creek, California
I have salt here. What does it do?
@RubyHawk (67541)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TheHorse I don’t know if it kills or injures ants but they won’t come back if you sprinkle salt on their trail.
I have had an awful time with ants this year. I did buy a spray for fleas, ants, spiders, roaches, the whole nine yards. It is pretty effective, but still they persist. I sprinkle a bit of diatomaceous earth in their dry food. It is bad for the ants, but good for the cats.
If you find where they are coming from put some cinnamon there and it will help keep them away. I learned this when I lived in a little apartment a few years ago that had ants in the bathroom.
@TheSojourner (52114)
If you mix Mix 1/2 C sugar, 1 1/2 Tbsp Borax (remember that from our kid days? They still sell it), and 1 1/2 cup warm water, you can soak a few cotton balls in the mix. Put them in the area where you are finding them. Sugar attracts them, and then they take the borax home with them. The soap/borax kills them.
@xander6464 (35558)
• Wapello, Iowa
First a squirrel and now ants? You need an anti-pest program.
@xander6464 (35558)
• Wapello, Iowa
@TheHorse That is a very good start.
• Walnut Creek, California
It's OK. I allow very few humans into my house.
@DaddyEvil (88507)
Every year, ants try to come in our kitchen window, even though I keep all the dishes done and the counters and floors clean. I think it's just scouts looking for something to eat, but Pretty goes out and sprays the back of the house and the trunk of a walnut tree that's growing at the window. It works for a month or so and then we have to spray again. They stop trying to come in when the weather starts turning chilly.
I never leave food for the kitties on the floor I always put the bowl or dish in the fridge till the next time, It does not seem that I have ants but if I leave any food on the counter some ants sow up and I wet a paper towel and wipe them away, Right now there are none.
@aninditasen (7883)
• Raurkela, India
In India we have a chalk called lakhsman rekha. We draw a circle around food items that's on the kitchen shelf to keep away ants.
@LindaOHio (99950)
I ABHOR ANTS. They always want to crawl on me. I HATE THEM! We always get ants during certain parts of the year. We use Terro. They take it back to the nest; and you can get rid of them all.
https://www.terro.com/