On Hold

@flapiz (17790)
United Kingdom
I have spent 2 days being on hold trying to reach a clinic and the immigration services. Both these businesses cannot seem to answer their phones. Are they even manned still or are they just automatically hooked to the radio. How is it a valid support when you can't even reach the support. I would really rather email my needs rather than be on hours hold. Do you experience the same frustration when trying to reach services with a phone call?
To be honest no, here they are very nice and always available to answer the phone. When I renewed our IDs last year, there was something I could not understand online, I called and they were very kind and helpful.
@flapiz (17790)
After an hour of being on hold I found a helpful support personnel . I do understand it gets busy sometimes but it is inexcusable to not be able to answer phone calls everyday. I think they need more support staff. Well at least you had a positive experience. Maybe Switzerland has better support centres and more well staffed.
@flapiz - I am glad you finally had someone who helped. In Italy they pick up the phone and drop it... that is their technique so that people stop calling.
@flapiz (17790)
@LadyDuck I swear the clinic I was calling has different strategy. Mute the phone and don't answer at all.
@aninditasen (7429)
• Raurkela, India
Yes, this happens even in India. The support team keeps their customers on hold and sometimes don't register our complain. This happened with me with the electricity department recently.
@flapiz (17790)
Oh my gosh. They should really audit and ask for support personnel's performance. No quality control at all.
• Raurkela, India
@flapiz I had to threaten them of legal action to register the complaint and get the electric fault repaired.
@flapiz (17790)
@aninditasen It's their responsibility in the first place it's annoying we have to use the law to get what we deserve.
@Orson_Kart (5668)
Your discussion is very important to us and we will endeavour to reply as soon as possible. Unfortunately this may be some time due to the never ending pandemic. We are currently suffering a shortage of staff, a lack of interest, and an ongoing dispute over pay and conditions. We appreciate your patience so please enjoy this soothing piece of music while you wait. Welcome to the UK!
@flapiz (17790)
Hahaha witty! It's not even soothing music these days. There is really a shortage of staff here in UK. Even the train services now is a nightmare.
@flapiz When I said “soothing” I of course meant annoying. I think it’s played to try to get you to hang up. As for the trains; well they are electric now but the staff are still living in the steam age. They are way overpaid for jobs that can often be automated. The unions won’t accept change so love to go on strike to screw the country.
@flapiz (17790)
@Orson_Kart I hope I don't too. I've already endured 1 month of unemployment waiting for my visa.
@rsa101 (35065)
I have never realized that this practice is also practised in countries like yours. I was under the impression it only happened here.
@flapiz (17790)
Unfortunately it is something consistent anywhere in the world. It is very frustrating.
@rsa101 (35065)
@flapiz I hope that you can get what you need from them soon.
@flapiz (17790)
@rsa101 I managed after 2 days trying to reach them.
@kareng (49183)
I find calling any business these days annoying. Either they don't answer or if they do they play the game of transfer you to someone else who will then transfer you to another person... as if it is a game.
@flapiz (17790)
Ouch that's painful. Specially when it's about complaint, refund, or support. But when they are selling you something and want your money you find that they are so prompt to answer and so helpful too. Not all the time but most of the time really.
@kareng (49183)
@flapiz That is how it has been around this area since Covid began.
@flapiz (17790)
@kareng Sad really.
@Adie04 (13687)
I do not like when you try calling one department and ends up redirect, redirect, redirect....
@flapiz (17790)
Tell me about it! That is very annoying.
@Adie04 (13687)
@flapiz Hello? Okay, hold on... Okay, let me redirect you to.... Hold on.... Okay, hold on, the officer is not in yet, let's redirect to... Hello, oh no, this is the place. Please call the operator again....
@flapiz (17790)
@Adie04 yeah always like this no.
@Fleura (20960)
Yes, I absolutely despise those automatic systems! And yes email is much better, if you have to explain your problem more than once (as often happens when you get passed around) you can just copy and paste, and you have a written record of everything that has been said which is important and impossible on the 'phone.
@flapiz (17790)
This is exactly my sentiment. Sometimes it frustrates me when the automated system does not even have the option of the concern I have. Email is more flexible for sure!
@Fleura (20960)
@flapiz Sometimes after you have gone throuogh all the options, if you don't press any number you will eventually get answered by a real person. But sometimes that doesn't happen and you just get cut off!
@flapiz (17790)
@Fleura Yeah well that's okay if they at least answer you eventually but the latter where you end up with a dropped call really ticks me off.
• Rockingham, Australia
That would be so annoying. Technology hasn't improved services in many ways.
@flapiz (17790)
I know you'd think it would but instead it made it even more harder to reach people. Now they can dodge you as they aren't client facing.
@JESSY3236 (16482)
Yeah I had to call the health department to get a vaccine (not covid) scheduled and I was on hold for a long time.
@flapiz (17790)
It took me 2 days to book an appointment to a clinic. Just imagine the frustration.
@moffittjc (106179)
• Gainesville, Florida
Like you, I would much prefer email communication over waiting for hours on hold on the phone. At least with email you can check back and/or respond at your convenience.
@flapiz (17790)
True and also you can send your problem at any time and can actually articulate it more.
@moffittjc (106179)
• Gainesville, Florida
@flapiz Yes, and as you are crafting your email, you can take the time to think and edit what you want to say, something you cannot do when you are speaking live to someone.
@flapiz (17790)
@moffittjc true and you can also explain your situation more and hopefully appeal to pity.
@m_audrey6788 (58576)
So far, I don`t experience that here. They are nice here as long as you explain good what you need
@flapiz (17790)
Well that's great. How about the waiting time?
@flapiz They don`t let me wait long time
@flapiz (17790)
@m_audrey6788 Oh that's good. I guess I'm just unlucky.
@sjvg1976 (34851)
Here in India too the customer care services (especially government agencies) are not good, sometimes they dont even pick up the call.
@flapiz (17790)
That is so bad isn't it. People have gone really lazy and it's bad that they get away with it.
@sjvg1976 (34851)
@flapiz they know they are going to get the salary even if they dont work.
@flapiz (17790)
@sjvg1976 They should get performance audits.
@Zufaqar1 (250)
Many times that type of problem I have already faced. It was so bad
@flapiz (17790)
It is quite frustrating to resort to being on hold for hours.