Masters Swimming Competition

By Val
@valmnz (17267)
New Zealand
I know it may sound strange to many of you, but I am a regular competitor at Masters swimming competitions. And yes, that is me in the photo above, swimming at a Masters swim meet nearly three years ago, pre-covid days. For those who are not familiar with Masters sports, they are for older people. In swimming there are still swimmers competing in the 90+ years age group. I confess, I'm in the 70-74 age group and still going strong. There hasn't been a lot to compete in during the covid years, but my swim team are off to a swim meet in a few weeks time. I'm quite excited. Consequently I'm back training three to four times a week, as compared with only twice a week over the last two years. I'm writing this before I go off to this morning's swim. A swim session for me can be quite intense, usually from between 1600m to 2000m. But I love it, and I still love competing. I swim with others twice a week, and on my own for the others. The best thing about a morning training session though is having coffee with my friends after. the swim.
@RebeccasFarm (66821)
Oh Val you must be very fit!! I adore swimming!! More power to you mate.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
Thanks. It's something I love doing. Masters sports are so popular worldwide now.
@valmnz I really admire you..I used be so fit too Val.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@RebeccasFarm I'll do it for as lng as I can.
This is so cool that you swim competitively, and you have your friends with you.
@sjvg1976 (34949)
It's not easy to swim at this age as it requires lots of stamina.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@sjvg1976 I've been swimming all my life and train hard even now. We have an amazing Masters swim group with ages ranging from 33 to 90!
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@misunderstood_zombie it is my passion
@TheSojourner (51381)
I would so love to get involved in something like this, but I am so beyond being able to even go a length of the pool, I would be embarrassed. I love your photograph!
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
Thanks re photo. It's one I'm particularly proud. There are Masters groups for most sports, so there might e something near you that you could join.
@valmnz I just have no strength or stamina. However, it would be nice to do something where I could start building it, I don't mind working up to anything, means I'd have to lose and then continue to build up
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@TheSojourner There is probably something local ou could start jining in with. Walking?
@CarolDM (187092)
You are such an inspiration my friend. Good for you. You go girl!
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
Thank you. I nearly gave up during COVID but am pleased to be back on track.
@CarolDM (187092)
@valmnz You are a very strong lady.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@CarolDM that changes from time to time!
@Beestring (2892)
That's wonderful. This is the first time I heard of Masters sports. They are inspiring.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
They are actually a worldwide movement. You may even find some in your own country.
@Beestring (2892)
@valmnz I'll check it out. Thanks.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@Beestring You're welcome.
@kaylachan (35573)
I am glad you are enjoying it, and it's great that something like that is available.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
Masters sports are really popular all around the world now.
@kaylachan (35573)
@valmnz That's a good thing.
Good for you! You are a lot more energetic than I am. I am 70. I wish I had kept up on swimming more. Nowadays I think it would help my arthritis.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
I've been competing on and off since I was 11. I think there's chlorine in my blood
@valmnz ........Sounds like there might be.
@Ganma7 (3387)
Very impressive and very good! You must be very strong & work hard at this
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
It's a challenge I enjoy.
@Shiva49 (24678)
Inspiring, but a hard act to follow for me though! Best of luck.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
I've been swimming all my life. It's other things I find difficult
@sjvg1976 (34949)
That's great! At the age of 74 years, it's not easy to swim as it requires lots of energy and stamina. Here I dont find people of that age so fit to do that.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
There are a lot of people in New Zealand competing in Masters sports, not only swimming. Our oldest team member has just turned 90
• Rockingham, Australia
That's great that you're still competing and still loving it. I hope you do well.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
Thanks, this one coming up is just a fun meet, but I'm looking forward to serious competition next year.
I used to enjoy reading your posts on your swimming prowess How are you doing these days?
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
Just starting back into competition after two years of no competition during covid. First meet coming up in about six weeks. i'm training well.
@AliCanary (2730)
I love to swim! And it's a fairly safe activity, as people aren't so close and chlorine is an antiviral.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
My swim team joke about the chlorine effect!It can get pretty crowded in a lane sometimes.
@wolfgirl569 (57972)
• Marion, Ohio
Hope you guys win.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
This will be a fun meet clled The Spring Fling, so goodness knows what fun is ahead. It's not for bout another six weeks.
@xFiacre (10694)
@valmnz Glad to see you’re still going strong and enjoying it. I haven’t been able to get to either a pool or the sea for quite some time.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
@xFiacre I came close to giving up during the covid lack of competition, but yes, definitely going strong again!
That is great that you are still swimming. I love swimming.
@valmnz (17267)
• New Zealand
It's something I've always done. I love the competition and friendship.
@moonandstars (60456)
• Zagreb, Croatia (Hrvatska)
i didn't know this about you, very cool.
@RubyHawk (66602)
• Atlanta, Georgia
That’s wonderful. Congratulations, I enjoy swimming but I’m not an expert. Our complex pools are closed this summer. They were putting a new pump in one yesterday. I hope they open before summers over.
That's amazing that you are a competitor swimmer. I bet it's exhilarating
@Jenaisle (6210)
Wow, that's awesome I'm only in my 60s and I don't think I could meet the challenge of swimming competitions. You're healthy and strong to be able to compete. Twice a week could be tiresome for me, and I have usually muscle cramps as well, so I can't make this a hobby. Good luck in your future competitions.