To treat or not to treat, that is the question?

United States
April 6, 2008 10:19am CST
The results are in. I finally got the results of my labs and liver biopsy and its all good. I don't want to go into the in's and out's of a cats a@@, but suffice it to say that the disease I have is only in its beginning stages. There is some liver inflammation, but other than that my labs and everything were ok. The doctor tells me that there is no urgency to begin treatment. However, its not a disease that will go away on its own, in other words its not going to get better. So this is my dilemna. I could chose to begin treatment now or I could wait until they come out with an easier treatment which will be in about 2-3 years. Let me explain the treatment which is available now. It means taking daily meds and self injecting yourself once a week. It can be somewhat debilitating. Some people are able to work, but many are not and have to go on disability. The treatment is for a year and theres a 50/50 chance of being cured. Or I could wait and they are coming up with treatments, apparently, which aren't so hard on your system. So what would you do? Would you possibly stop a new job now and get it over with, or would you wait to see what happens in a year or two, knowing that the disease is progressing? Hard one isn't it?
11 people like this
39 responses
• United States
6 Apr 08
This is my personal opinion: If your doctor has said that the treatment isn't urgent, you might try finding a very good holistic physician, such as a well-recommended doctor of Chinese medicine who would treat you with acupuncture and herbs to detoxify your body. The net effect might be that either you improve your condition non-invasively, or at least strengthen your system so that when you are treated with alopathic (Western) medicine, you respond in a healthy manner. In other words, find a happy medium between treating immediately and waiting 2-3 years, and use that time to heal in a gentler manner than daily meds and weekly injections. I wish you the best of health.
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Apr 08
First of all, I just want to thank you for taking the time to come back and answer this discussion. That was very cool. Your idea is very insightful and I'm not that familiar with Chinese medicine, but I guess its worth looking into.
• United States
7 Apr 08
Well yes, perhaps it's worth researching. I can tell you that my doctor has come to the rescue for me numerous times. You might like to look at her website to get a general idea of directions to consider. It's www.sachispirit.com. You may have a lot more choices than you realize. Again, I wish you the best of health.
1 person likes this
@tjades (3594)
• Jamaica
7 Apr 08
Well thats an idea I like. Doing a natural detox might just do the trick.
1 person likes this
@gemini_rose (16194)
6 Apr 08
It certainly is a hard one, and one you are going to have to seriously think about. I would be worried that if I left it for 2 -3 years that I would not know how much worse and how quick within that time, without treatment it was going to get. But then on the other hand if I was to start the treatment I could end up being worse. I think I would have to write it all down, write the positives on one side and weigh them up against the negatives and see which looked to be the best option on paper. I am glad to hear that the news was good for you though, that must be a huge weight off your mind.
• United States
6 Apr 08
Yes, it was a huge weight off my mind, but now it faces me with another dilemna. Not that I would actually want things to be worse than what they are, but then again if it was, it surely would make the decision easier.
@gemini_rose (16194)
6 Apr 08
If it was worse than it was you would not have to make any decisions about treatments as the decisions would be made for you, it is sometimes so hard to make decisions on our own, I am the worst decision maker ever I hate having to make a decision.
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Apr 08
Yeah, thats just it. It is a decision that I wish someone could just make for me, but ultimately I know its in my hands and I'm in charge of my destiny. Darn the bad luck. LOL.
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
3 May 08
I'd check into other methods of treatment such as naturopathy, but if that didn't get me anything helpful, I'd probably bite the bullet and take the treatments. No guarantee that those new treatments will be available on schedule or that they will be any more effective. At least this way,you have a 50% chance that you won't have to deal with it after a year. On the other hand, how debilitating? That would factor into the decision too. Good luck...
1 person likes this
• United States
4 May 08
Based on the experience of those others that have been through the treatment, debilitating to the point of having to give up their jobs and go on disability. However, I have also known those that were able to work through the entire treatment. I think that depends on the individual and probably the degree of the disease in their system.
1 person likes this
@dawnald (84156)
• Shingle Springs, California
5 May 08
Nothing like a healthy degree of uncertainly to make a decision difficult! Good luck!
@Rosekitty (19498)
• San Marcos, Texas
3 May 08
Morning Kbourgerie I'm not a big fan of DR.s and will always do Homapathic remedies first..and haven't had to go to any yet.I'm not ill and not certain exactly what you have, but i can read liver, so am guessing. have you tried Detoxifing your system first? What is great about that is getting your liver cleaned out and give it a rest from toxins. My Mother found out she has a touch of jaundice and we got her started on the pills and she's getting better and she's 84. Hope this helps if you haven't tried this first Love and Energy sent!
1 person likes this
• United States
3 May 08
No, I don't know that much about homeopathic remedies or detoxifying my system. Perhaps you may have some information?
@Rosekitty (19498)
• San Marcos, Texas
3 May 08
Can't remember where you live, but I'm certain you have health food Stores in your area..go to one and talk to the owner and explain your disease to them..they will fix you up and this can get you started towards cleaning out your liver..sorry to talk so much here online about your personal life, but really want to help you get this going. Huggs and let me know!
@clowdine (1402)
• Philippines
6 Apr 08
I think it would be a good idea if you start with the treatment as early as possible. It's hard to risk it when all you have is the word of the doctors that they will come up with a treatment in 2-3 years time. We have a saying that prevention is better than cure. What if after procrastinating and trusting it will be cured with the simpler means of medication after a couple of years but it has developed unforseen complication by the time you're ready for that expected treatment? If quitting your job is another dilemma along the way, I'm ready to give you a suggestion. You might want to have a chat with me about this. Just PM me your yahoo ID.
• United States
6 Apr 08
Quitting my job is a huge dilemna considering I just started and finally I have regained a sense of financial independence and my self esteem has improved. In the retail field, I'm not sure that they would save my job for an entire year. So if you have a suggestion, I will be glad to send you my id. Be looking for a pm.
@clowdine (1402)
• Philippines
6 Apr 08
I understand completely your situation in your job as you're just new and it's not good to aptly disappoint your employer if you quit so soon. Besides, it's better off if you have a sense of mobility and not just stay home and act like seriously ill. My friends, I am not going to tell you to quit your job for a second. What I worry about is the other thing you mentioned about the possibility of their not saving your job due to your condition. I have prepared some paragraphs of suggestion. Please check your PM.
1 person likes this
@maddysmommy (16243)
• United States
6 Apr 08
If it was me, I would start the treatment and get it over with, even though I know maybe in the future there could be something better. I just hope that it wouldn't affect me as much, and that I would be still mobile and able to take care of my husband and son. The reason I say this is because my husband is already working and we are able to live off his paycheck thus far. So we can afford for me not to work. It is most definitely different for everyone but I base this on what my life is like now. Ask me this question next year, it could be a different answer - all depends where we are in our lives, whether the disease would hinder other factors if left for a year, whether it's worth working towards the 50/50 chance of cure and so forth. I would rather not risk anything with my life and health now and do what I can to keep myself around longer for the sake of my family more importantly my son. In saying that, I am glad that your results are good.
• United States
6 Apr 08
Thank you. We have lived off of my boyfriends earning prior to me getting this job, but it wasn't easy, thats for sure. I've known people who have been treated for this and some were able to work and some weren't. I suppose it depends on the physical demands of their job. I'm working in the women's shoe department of Dillards, so I'm on my feet all day. I'm not sure whether I'd be able to do it or not, I guess that remains to be seen.
1 person likes this
@maddysmommy (16243)
• United States
7 Apr 08
I know it isn't easy giving up a job especially when you just started out. I hope all goes well for you KB and keep us posted.
1 person likes this
• Philippines
15 May 08
I'm in the medical field. Ask your doctor what's the best course to take. He knows probably a lot more regarding the statistics concerning the cure rate of that particular treatment. If he's not convincing you enough to take the treatment chances are it's not that promising. Anyway it's better to continue monitoring your liver and let the doctor decide when to take aggressive medical intervention. just my two cents.
1 person likes this
• United States
19 May 08
Basically he told me there is no urgency to treat. There might be better treatments in the next couple of years and its up to me. Not very helpful if you ask me.
3 May 08
It depends on how your condition will be in 2/3 years if you don't have any treatment. If they could treat you and make you better even if a new way of helping you isn't out. However if you are taking a risk of making your health worse for a possible new solution then you're better of starting the meds now. I do hope you manage to find the right way of treating yourself as it is not a nice situation to be in. Good luck!
1 person likes this
• United States
3 May 08
Thank you for taking the time to find this post. I haven't made a decision yet as to what I want to do. However, the doctor told me there is no urgency, so I think I'll just take my sweet time.
@Shaun72 (15968)
• Palatka, Florida
6 Apr 08
I guess it depends on how bad it is for you know. Also how bad you need to work. The only thing with that though is if it starts to get worser before they come out with a new treatment it might be a bad idea.
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Apr 08
According to the doctor its only in the beginning stages and there is no urgency to start a treatment. I really would like to keep working though.
• United States
6 Apr 08
Dear Kbourgerie: First of all, I want to say I admire that while dealing with a big health problem, you continue to work, write and plow through. I need to leave the house right now, but am thinking actively about what to respond to your question and will write again in a few hours. Best Regards, Cory
• United States
6 Apr 08
Well thanks Cory. Its not that big a deal though. Even though I have the disease, I really don't feel bad, just a bit of tenderness of my side and sometimes I get really tired. I can always tell when the virus is most active, just because I am more tired than usual. I've had periods where for a few days its hard for me to get up out of bed, but then again those without an illness have the same trouble. LOL.
@Aussies2007 (5339)
• Australia
6 Apr 08
First... it depends what we are talking about. If it could become life frightening... I would not wait. Particulary if you are talking cancer. Any disease of the liver is serious enough anyway. Like they always say... Prevention is better than the cure. I know... talk is cheap... and it is easy for me to tell you what to do. If I was in your shoes... I would feel the same than you... and try to delay it. But your health is all you got in life that truly belong to you. Don't fool around with it...
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Apr 08
I don't want to go into the details of my diagnosis on this site. I would prefer to speak in generalizations, which I understand makes it difficult for people to respond accurately. Sometimes posting the in's and out's of a cat's a@@ isn't always the way to go. LOL. If you remember, I did that once before and the results were disastrous. LOL. Anyway, I hear what you are saying and my doctor has told me to come back in three months with a decision. Its certainly alot to think about. Thanks Aussie.
• United States
6 Apr 08
It would depend on several factors. If you can afford to quit working while you start and follow through treatment for a year, it may be worth it. However if you are basically feeling well now and are having labs checked at the recommended intervals to make sure it isn't progressing rapidly, I would wait and see. If you can pm me with details of the meds, I can give you a better answer. Your nurse friend on mylot; Theresa
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Apr 08
I know that you and I have talked privately about this before, so I have sent you another pm. Thanks.
@kezabelle (2985)
6 Apr 08
I would take the treatment, I have a kidney condition im on meds for it, it will never go away the meds only stop it progressing quicker so to me a cure now would be wonderful. In 2-3 years time they might not have found something else to cure it so I would use what they had now and be hopeful it did what it was supposed to and cure me, then once I was feeling better I would get on and do everything I had put on hold while I had my treatment.
1 person likes this
• United States
6 Apr 08
I'm sorry to hear about your condition. Its definitely a hard decision for me to make. The doctor told me to make an appointment for three months from now, in order to give it some thought. I just would hate to have to stop working after just getting this job. I'm finally feeling better about myself and gaining a sense of independence. It would be hard to have to put all that on hold.
@Hatley (159527)
• Garden Grove, California
6 Apr 08
thatis a tough choice and if it is debilitating you may not be able to work. MOney could be a problem there too i imagine.maybe if I were you i would wait to see it there is a better treatment thatwould not be so hard on your system. I can see you would not to wait too long but if they really have a better treatment in he works maybe that would be the better choice. I know I keep trying to control my diabetes by meds so I will not have to inject myself daily. I just do not like the idea of sticking myself very much.Perhaps you could take it just one year at a time and see how you progress.
@anawar (2406)
• United States
5 May 08
You certainly have quite a few people trying to help out with several opinions and options. I read through to make sure you hadn't made your decision yet, but I didn't see any comments from you indicating you have decided. I'm not too crazy about the medical field and doctors. It's heartbreaking to know health care is profit oriented. If the doctor isn't overly concerned, I think you have a wonderful doctor. I would trust his opinion. Me? I don't go anywhere near a doctor unless I can't walk! I would wait to be treated.
• United States
10 Apr 08
If it was me I would start treatment as soon as I could
@bfarrier1 (2083)
• United States
9 Apr 08
Sorry to hear about your health but why wait they may come up with something easier in 2-3 years but maybe not also then it had two or three years to progress yes you do have a diffult choice and it is only yours to make so know your mylot friends will stand behind you and I will keep you in my prayers.
@ladym33 (11009)
• United States
9 Apr 08
That is a very hard decision. I guess it would depend on how much worse the illness is capable of getting in the amount of time that you would need to wait. Also is that treatment in development guarnteed, or could you wait all that time, and then it doesn't work. I wouldn't want to give advice on this with out knowing all the details. I would say if there is potential for you to get worse by waiting, I would go ahead with the treatment, however, if the doctor thinks that you are able to wait, the perhaps I would.
• China
8 Apr 08
First,I don't know exactly what kind of liver disease you have got.hepatitis or hepatocirrhosis or something else?And is the liver function in normal?Secod,have you heard of traditional chinese medicine?I mean some herbal medicines.they come from the mother nature and they are more familiar with human body.Compare with the chemical medincine which will make you debilitating,herbal medincines keep your body in a good balance and do something good to your disease.I think its side-effect is faint rather than chemical medincine.But i don't know whether there are any chinese medicine in your country.Have you heard of it?
@ellie26 (4128)
• Malaysia
8 Apr 08
If I were you, I will ask the doctor what does he meant by no urgency to begin treatment. Is the disease progresses slowly or rapidly? Ask him should you decide not to start the treatment now, what are the chances that it will become very serious? If he says ok you can choose not to start the treatment now, then you can will not be in dilemma. Of course, this is only my suggestion. Alternatively, you might consider to seek second opinion on whether or not to start treatment. Or you might also consider alternative medicine i.e. herbal medicine.