Will My Moldy Water Bottle Make Me Sick?

@hcromer (2713)
United States
April 16, 2008 12:41pm CST
Everyone in my office has been out with colds this week so this morning I decided that I was going to start taking Vitamin C. I went to take the pill, washed it down with water from the same bottle that I've been re-using for about 2 months and after I had already taken a big drink, I realized that there was mold on the lid. Do you guys know if drinking water out of this moldy water bottle is going to make me sick? My boyfriend said that mold is what cures sickness (like penicillin) and not to worry about it, but I'm looking for a second opinion.
6 people like this
16 responses
• Regina, Saskatchewan
17 Apr 08
Yes it will if you keep using it without sterilizing it between usages. Think about this: Most baby bottles are now plastic. Would you use the same bottle for every feeding without sterilizing it or using a cleaner one? Of course not. So treat yourself as you would treat your baby. Either run the bottle and lid through the dishwasher or change bottles. We would hate to find out you poisened yourself hcromer! Take care.
1 person likes this
@hcromer (2713)
• United States
17 Apr 08
Haha, thank you :) I threw it away and bought a new one this morning... I think I'll start using a cup at work instead of a water bottle now!
1 person likes this
• Regina, Saskatchewan
17 Apr 08
Good girl. Now just make sure you keep the cup washed out with hot water regularly.
@jalucia (1435)
• United States
17 Apr 08
I think you'll be alright. Think about all of the germs, bacteria, etc. that we unknowingly put into our bodies on the regular basis. As long as you feel ok, you probably are. I don't know what would be more dangerous, or the plastic bottle itself. There's always some concern about plastics being harmful. Just today, it was in the news that BPA, which is found in many everyday plastics, could be linked to certain cancers, early puberty in females and behavioral changes. It is also detected in 93% of the population over the age of 6 years. http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/news/articles/0416chemical0416.html
@Hatley (121081)
• Garden Grove, California
17 Apr 08
I don't think it will make you sick but it doesn't sound too good either. Penicillin is one thing but just plain old mold is yet another. I know the mold on bread and cheese will make youfeel ill if you eat it so Iwould be really careful and wash everything and dry it thoroughly before using it.
@taylor96 (46)
• United States
17 Apr 08
YES! Mold is not something you want to mess with. You need to get a new water bottle or throw it in the dishwasher. I would get a new bottle myself. Your boyfriend is right about penicillan helping you but you do not see people licking fungus off of their water bottles or anywhere else. It has to go through some stages before it is put into pill form. Hope that helps. Jen
@jenni7202 (1599)
• United States
17 Apr 08
Well, to tell you the truth, I read somewhere that you should never reuse a bottle that you got from water, soda, or any other type of beverage. Apparently, even if you wash it, the bacteria that builds up (and mold) can make you very ill. I'm not saying it's certain, but I did read it somewhere, and personally I've been a bit paranoid about reusing bottles since!
@filmbuff (2909)
• United States
16 Apr 08
I would toss the water bottle and make a point to stop reusing the plastic water bottles. The plastic bottles that you get water in, are not designed to be reused, and the water contained in them is usually not treated to prevent bacteria growth, and mold as you've found out. Mold is bad for you. Some molds in general are worse than others, but with a few rare exceptions (like the penicillin) mold is very, very harmful. Toss the bottle. :)
@stephcjh (32388)
• United States
16 Apr 08
I think it could possibly make you sick. I know that they do make penicillin out of mold so I am not very sure. they may do something to the mold to make it safe for us though. I think I would throw that bottle out and not take any chances with it myself.
1 person likes this
• United States
16 Apr 08
Not all mold is good for you. There are forms of mold that can actually get you sick. Now, I don't know if that will be the case for you but better to be safe than sorry right? So just trash that one and buy another one that's all. See, problem solved!
1 person likes this
@sedel1027 (17872)
• United States
16 Apr 08
Probably won't mak eyou sick, but you really should wash that bottle really good with some hot soapy water. You should add some zinc to your vitamin c taking (that is pretty much what airborne is 1500mg Vitamin C and almost as much Zinc).
1 person likes this
• United States
16 Apr 08
There are different types of mold so your boyfriends information is only halfway correct. Depending on the type of mold on your bottle it could make you sick or not. There's really no way of telling except time. I don't think it's too serious, but to be extra sure you might want to talk to a doctor or something. It is good that your taking vitamin c though, that might prevent you from gettin sick. That stuff Airbourne works well too.
1 person likes this
@Elixiress (3897)
20 Apr 08
I am not sure, but I wouldn't take the risk. I would clean the bottle out well or by a new one. Eating or drinking something mouldy is just a disgusting concept to me.
@Sir_bobby88 (8248)
• Singapore
20 Apr 08
Well i do heard from my local doctors that it will makes you sick after using two weeks of the same water bottle that you brought in supermarket , bottle drinks i mean . it is also advice that you reuse it for one or two time and it is time to throw it into recycle bins yea .
@rexiemay (402)
• Philippines
20 Apr 08
yes it will make you sick. scientific researches show that used bottle must be disposed after used because particles of it would disintegrate after several uses and may cause poisoning. i guess if you are worried of colds, you should be more worried of cancer. i suggest you use different bottle and dispose of what you have right now. remember to remain clean, it will always do you good.
@whyaskq (7553)
• Singapore
19 Apr 08
In my opinion, it is possible the mold could have make you sick. I have heard of a fermented drink. There are certain precautions needed to ensure the drink is safe for consumption. What sort of water bottle you have been using? There are some bottles that cannot be reusable for more than few times. Drinking from such bottles might be bad for health. Better safe than sorry.
@ShepherdSpy (8565)
• Omagh, Northern Ireland
17 Apr 08
maybe the mould bugs will cancel out the cold bugs! It's a workplace thing..if someone has a bug,it pretty much goes around. Vitamin C helps your body's defences,but if you've been in that environment for a week without the vitamins,you've either got it by now or you're immune..Blue mould on bread won't harm you..it;'s just unsightly.I'm not sure what mould will develop on a water bottle after a couple of months..but if you're ok after 24 hours,I think You'll survive.I do agree with a thorough cleaning of your bottle,though..
@jarves (815)
• Philippines
17 Apr 08
Yes! Definitely that would be the reason why you are having colds and probably the reason why other people in your office are having colds. I always replace my bottle ever three days. When it starts to smell bad, that is the time I will replace it. I never let it go for 4 days.