My dog keeps STEALING things

@saundyl (9698)
This is driving me nuts. I pick things up and he takes them...things are appearing in my yard that i don't know where they came from. Yesterday he stole ALL my clean laundry off the line. I found him eating a can of pringles and some pop cans on my deck that weren't there when i went to bed...and no one was out there over night. He took my shoes this morning and was trying to take the dog food dish (ok its a covered cat litter box with a flap to keep magpies from stealing the food) away from the other dogs...had the handle in his mouth trotting across the yard with it. He also has been caught relocating the snow shovel, the rake and my gas can. Any ideas on how to stop my kleptomaniac dog??? Have you ever had a dog that steals things?
@msmell (1379)
Oh you sound like you have the same problem as me! My Pug is a kelptomanic too and he steals everything! Drives me insane I must tell ya It is like having a small toddler around the house that you have to watch 24/7, we have to make sure that all the doors are shut and he is unable to get into a room that we are not in at the time or he will pinch anything he can get his teeth into! He has his favorite things that he likes to pinch and he goes for them first like the teddy bears off my bed, any shoes, the remote controls, dvd's yes out of the cabinet, even the math out of the toilet, oh and his most favorite thing that he just loves to pinch are pegs (sorry cant remember what you call them in other countriesbut you hang clothes on the line with them) and he loves pegs that much that he even takes the clothes off the clothes line to get the pegs yes don't laugh my PUG takes the washing off the line! Wouldn't have believed it myself if someone else told me that there Pug did this but I have seen it with my own eyes. anyway when his access to these things have been cut off he goes looking for other things that he would be able to get and the funny thing is that when he does pinch things he brings them to you and it is like hey mum look at me look what I got! So I know the only reason he is doing this is because he wants attention which I can't understand because he gets attention 24/7 sometimes too much as he is spoiled rotten!
@saundyl (9698)
LOL I'm glad i'm not the only one whose dog is emptying the line! (we tend to call them clothes pins here) My dog isnt as interested in the clothes pins as he is running around the yard dragging blanktes clothing etc around. I tried giving him his own even. Your pug sounds so cute!
@Opal26 (17694)
Hey saundyl, Ah he sounds so cute! I don't know what his problem is! But he does sound like he's definitely got one! So you have a dog thief! I know that dogs like to bury things, but he's got a really strange idea of what he likes to steal! He sure likes to take some rather large items! Too big to bury! I don't know what to tell you. Have you sat him down and had a talk with him? He definitely does sound like he is a bit of a klepto. Don't know what to do with a dog kepto. You might have to ask a vet about this one! Maybe he just wants attention or something. Sounds like a tough one to figure out! I hope you get some better ideas than I gave you. I'm sorry. I did have a cat that liked to take things and hide them, but she was a cat burgalar!
@saundyl (9698)
i'll ask the vet today when i go to pick up his papers. I had a cat that took things and hid them under the fridge when he was mad at me.
@sandra966 (269)
• Spain
We have a 7 month old puppy, and he steals things too. He seems to like socks a lot! When we first got him, my husband gave him an old pair of his socks (dirty ones so that they smelled!) to comfort him in the night when we went to bed. It was my husband's logic, not my own. Anyway, ever since, if he sees any socks, on the line, or on the floor where my kids have just taken them off - he runs and grabs them and chews them. He has also taken; a teddy off my daughter's bed (and he's not allowed upstairs!), bulbs out of the ground, weeds out of the ground, cotton reels out of my sewing basket, a funnel out of the utility room, tissues out of the bin, empty plastic bottles, the cat toys out of her basket, and get this - he keeps pulling the cat's collar off of her! He's done it so often, she is now collar-less. All I can say is try to keep everything as clear as you possibly can, and tell him off when you catch him. And try to see the funny side of it - he's just a little bored, and he's finding stuff for you! I read somewhere that you can train dogs to pick up things that they find and bring them to you - I did try this with the socks, but while trotting up to me with them in his mouth - he's still chewing them and then he won't let them go!
@saundyl (9698)
lol it is a start!
• Spain
Yep, he grabs her collar and then yanks it over her head! So far, he hasn't managed to get his own collar off, and the cat doesn't help him - lol Ooh, maybe they start stealing stuff that we have given them, because they think they are allowed to. Hmm a breakthrough? Maybe not, because it doesn't really help, does it?
@saundyl (9698)
He takes the cats collar off of her? does he try taking off his own too? I wonder if my pups clothing thefts from the line are because i gave him a couple old coats to sleep with in his dog house.
@hellcowboy (7383)
I am sorry to hear that your dog likes to steal things,and that sounds like a very odd situation,I have never had a dog or seen a dog that liked to steal things but it sounds like it needs some discipline,I am not sure what you could do to stop it unless you could try scolding it or punishing it when it steals something or maybe send it to obedience school or some type of training,but I hope you figure out a way to stop your dog from stealing things.
@saundyl (9698)
I've been scolding him when i catch him at it. BUT he's taken now to doing this while im at work not when i'm home. So now i have to be careful pulling into my driveway because he leaves them right in my parking spot. I'm hoping to find a better way..(i did hide everything recently i could think of he'd steal from the deck or garden) or that he grows out of this.
@switlyf (650)
Your dog's story sounds cute to me, i love dogs and i wish to have a dog like that! haha sounds crazy but i really think thats cute. Although stealing is not cute butu the fact that its your dog that steals im sure when they found out about it they will just laugh about that. Happy mylotting!
@saundyl (9698)
He's not stealing from neighbours hes stealing items from the yard..from the places they belong...and its driving me wacko...because now hes destroying what he steals...or piling it behind my car.
That is my dogs most absolute fun thing to do in life and I do not have the heart to take it away from him. One day I saw a strange toy laying in our yard. I wondered about it until the neighbor came walking by and we were chatting when all of a sudden she said "Hey! That's my dog's toy!" I said "Oops! " Now I let him out in the middle of the night so he can go on his 'fun(d) raising drives' without getting caught out, and I just stash anything that I see that is unfamiliar. I guess that makes me an aider and abettor, but I don't mind.
@saundyl (9698)
LOL I'm glad i dont have close neighbours...so far hes only stolen my things...or things from the other yard (for the cows...my dads tools)
@Loverbear (4929)
Our neighbor had a dog like that. She would roam around stealing whatever caught her eye. She stole a pair of boots from the neighbor's father, a sandal from me and a frozen chicken from another neighbor. When the dog's owner went into the dog house he was amazed by the "booty" the dog had collected. Included was hammers, shoes, cans, shovels, a sledge hammer, saw, boat oar, life jackets, and a full five gallon can of gas. We figured that since the dog was a stray she was accumulating wealth. She finally grew out of the thieving, but it took a while. I kind of wonder if the dogs thieving is like a child and it is a desire for more attention. I noticed that when the neighbor's dog started getting more attention from the neighbor hood people the thieving stopped. Maybe if you have some extra toys that are new to the dog and hide them for him to find, which would keep him busy. Things to keep him busy might deter the desire to steal. Otherwise I would try to convince him to steal things that are a little more valuable...like a bank bag full of cash (LOL). We used to kid the neighbor about teaching the dog to walk into the bank and grab a bank bag...except as he said, the dog probably wouldn't do it because it wouldn't catch her interest.
@saundyl (9698)
Its good to know he/she grew out of it. Teaching it to rob the bank would be funny! I noticed this morning he didn't have a pile of stuff in the middle of the yard...but i did put a lot out of his reach or behind locked doors. Some days I've been wondering where he's finding things!
A kleptomanidog! Are you certain that he isn't part ferret? Neither of my pups does stuff like that. They do have other tendencies, though.
@saundyl (9698)
Ferrets steal things too? My other dog has a tendency to bury things in my couch cushions...but only her toys or treats.
Never had this happen, but the visual picture this gave me, made me smile, especially since I'm eating a can of pringles, and drinking a can of pop as I write this. I think your dog has exceptionally good taste. Tehehe I can understand how you'll need clothes and a shovel. LOL Maybe keep him tied up and away from anything he can steal, when he does it? Let him off the leash to see if he'll behave, and if not, back on the leash where he can't reach anything he'll want to steal.
@saundyl (9698)
He was tied for the most part for 2 weeks - off for periods of time. BUT even being tied i swear i dont know where he was finding some of the stuff he dug up.He found an old dishpan in the trees...cans...a freakishly old tarp. All that he found there was things my grandma nd great grandparents had disposed of in the old garbage disposal..ya know before people took things to the public dump. When i got home today it wasnt as bad..he only had a leash out no plant pots or shovels