Mormonism vs. Christianity.. What Would You Do!?

I was raised Baptist but have not been faithful in attending church for a number of years. I pray. I believe in Jesus. I own a bible and read it when I need direction. I try to live my life the way I believe God would want me to. I do not push my beliefs on anyone else and I prefer for others not to push theirs on me unless I ask. I have a 17 year old son. He has been raised pretty much the same way. He decided on his own, a few years ago.. to become "saved". We read the bible together when we have time but life has been hectic and I'll admit that we haven't read it recently. We moved to a new city and never did find a church that we felt welcomed and comfortable at. My son made a lot of new friends and most of these kids are Mormon. They have invited him to attend church functions with them and I have allowed him to go (picnic/camp type things). I never thought it would do any harm. He has now been dating a girl for almost a year and she is also Mormon. He has gone to church with her and her family off and on but more recently it's becoming a regular thing. He is now talking about the future and how when him and his girlfriend finish college and get married, they will get married in the Mormon temple. He talks about how he wants to be baptized in the Mormon church. I know enough about the Mormon religion to know that it is not even close to the same as what I believe. I support my son in every other aspect of his life, but this is something I'm having a very hard time accepting and supporting. I'm really upset about the whole thing. I know some people will say that I need to just support him but how do you support something that you think is wrong?
• Marion, Kansas
With him being 17, it is a little late to forbid him to go with her. It is important that you find a church home for yourself, and pray about your concerns for your son. The Mormon church has filled a void that your son was feeling.He needs to see that there are other choices. I understand your concerns, that even though Mormons are wonderful people, their beliefs are a long way away from what you understand and believe. We had a young man baptized in our church this week who was torn between joining the Mormon church and joining ours, because his parents divorced, and had this battle among others. They agreed that until he was eighteen he could not join either church. I would ask your son to postpone this decision at least that long. One comment that this boy made, though, was that because he was not born in the Mormon church, even when attended and if he had joined, he would have been denied some privileges in the church and community. Look for a book called Misguiding Lights. (pm me for more info.)
Hi Gerty! You are right and I'm not forbidding him from going with her I'm just letting him know that I do not agree. I have been trying to find a church home for awhile now but my choices are limited in my city so I think I may have to branch out to a neighboring city and see if the choices are more fitting for what I'm looking for. You hit the nail on the head in regards to my feelings about Mormons. I have some wonderful friends who are Mormon and I have nothing against them - we just do not believe the same things when it comes to religion. I will urge my son to wait until he is at least 18 and I've already asked him to please research other religions before making a decision. You make a good point though, since he was not born into the religion - I wonder if they would even let him enter their temple (?) That religion has changed so much over the years that I feel they alter their "rules" to try and fit in with the Christian society when the core of that religion is the complete opposite in beliefs. I will look for that book and thank you!
@ladym33 (11009)
Well there are a couple of things here in regards to his age, he is 17 years of age so he is nearly an adult, so he will be able to make this decision soon weather you support him or not. But again he is 17 and in only being 17 the chances that he will eventually marry this girl are slim, it is certainly possible, but chances are college will change them both. So his making this decision based on this young lady are a bit pre-mature, but of course telling him this is only going to make him cling to the idea all that much more because he is after all a teenager. What you can ask him to do is promise that he waits to make his decision. Tell him to go to college for a year and then if he still wants to convert then you will support him. If he still wants to do it after that amount of time then this is something that he really wants to do, and as an adult has earned the right to make that decision. At that point you should accept his decision because he will old enough to know what he wants. Perhaps allowing him some time and life experience before making his decision will get turn out in your favour, if not you will know that this is truly his choice and not just a youthful whim.
@sid556 (31018)
I would respect your son's choice if I were you. You raised him with the right morals and values that count from what I can tell. Choice of religion is just a byproduct really. I was raised strict catholic and my closest friend was a mormon and I also had friends of other religions. I've been in churches of many various religions and chose in the end not to belong to any...they all have their aspects on which I agree and disagree. None of my 4 children were ever pressed to be of any religion but were introduced to many....it is their personal choice. It sounds to me as if you did a good job raising him. I wouldn't let something like religion even be a question mark on my relationship with my child.
@sierras236 (2740)
This is my advice, take it for what it is worth. I would sit down and talk to him and ask him what he likes about the mormon religion. Then instead of attacking him, give him a list of logical reasons why you are against him being a mormon. Try to be very non confrontational. Give him time to think about it. He has to make his own decisions in this. But also tell him, that he doesn't have to make a decision right now. Things can change drastically in four years. College is a whole new world. Beliefs are very personal. The thing is to get him to really think about his decision and what he is actually getting into. He needs to know both sides, both good and bad. Still support him but you can be at least a little calmer once you have stated your case.
sierras thank you for your post. You are right, I need to just sit down with him and talk about everything. I am trying really hard not to be confrontational. I really do appreciate all of the viewpoints shared on this topic - even if I may not agree, I fully respect that we can all have different opinions and views on subjects.
@Lindalinda (4116)
I would not worry my heart out. He is just 17 years old. Many things can happen. He will go off to college, learn new things and make new friends. This marriage may not even come off. But even if it does it is really his decision and his life. I hope you will not make it difficult for him. Besides why do you think it is wrong? There must be more than one way to salvation even though if a particular branch of Christianity may say otherwise. Think of all the great people that have lived over the centuries and were not Baptist or even Christian. Do you think God would deny them eternal life because they were not baptized? That would be cruel.
Linda.. you would have to know the Mormon religion vs the Christian religion to understand why Christian's feel it is "wrong". The Mormon's believe that their God would deny me a place next to him unless I convert so it's no different and if my son wanted his girlfriend to attend a Christian church and she started to believe differently of her religion and wanted to be baptized in a Christian church - I'm pretty sure her parents would feel the same way I'm feeling right now. That's why all religions are not the same - they all think the other one is wrong in one way or another. Thanks for your response!
@Nan110 (470)
I'm a Mormon. Mormans are christians also. Your son dating a Mormon is not wrong. You don't have anything to worry about.
Nan I have nothing against Mormons but I do not believe they are Christian's so my son dating and hoping to one day marry a Mormon isn't fitting with my beliefs. I understand that he is his own person and I hope he really thinks before he makes lifelong decisions. Religion is not something to take lightly and being baptized or getting married to someone is not to be taken lightly either. If he ends up deciding to marry this girl, one day in the future, I will still love him but I will not support his religious decision. My hope is that before he makes a decision - he researches everything as much as possible. If he still decides to go down that pathway then I can at least know in my heart that he weighed the options and that was the one that he felt was the right fit for him. Thank you for your response!