Ron Paul for 2012 GOP?

@dark_joev (3043)
Well I know I am a hopeful but you think after some of the polls that have come out with Ron Paul having a lead on people like Sarah Palin. You would think the GOP would look at that with a smile as one poll I saw said Obama had only leading Paul by like 3 or 4 % I mean that is really close. But the GOP won't run him. They would rather run a Christan right wing person who is far left than someone who is more conservative than any of the tax and spend republicans that we have running right now. Also Paul has the constitution next to his heart. What do you think? Will the GOP wake up before they really show themselves as being just like the Democrats? They are looking more like Democrats except they are more into cutting the governments income and increasing the spending and power of the executive branch.
@Taskr36 (13925)
The RNC wants a person they can control. Clearly, Ron Paul can not be controlled by them as he's voted against some very popular republican policies like the Patriot Act. Now that doesn't mean he can't win, as things have really changed with the Tea Party movement, but it still won't be easy. For the same reason you'll never see the DNC support anyone like Kucinich. Both parties want a puppet, not an individual.
@Taskr36 (13925)
McCain wasn't really forced on anyone. He was a patsy. He was SUPPOSED to lose. John Kerry and Bob Dole were the same way. Nobody thought either of them had a chance of winning because they were up against strong incumbents. In 2008 though, it was a year that was just chalked up as a loss even before the race started because it wasn't Republican verse Democrat, it was Democrat versus Bush. Everything the democrats did was an attack on Bush with McCain tacked on as "McSame", "McBush", "More of the same" and all that other crap. The last thing they wanted was for labels like that to go on a candidate that they WANTED to win an election. They didn't want a potential winner, they just wanted someone who could put up a fight and lose with dignity.
@anniepa (27236)
How's that "fighty, losey with dignity" thing workin' out for ya...lol? I think McCain's lost his dignity along with his mind of late. He's not the same person he used to be. He's turned into a bitter old man. Annie
@Taskr36 (13925)
It's sure working out better than the "I won" crap did for Obama. He and the democrats in congress decided that the only constituents that mattered were those on the far left and ignored every other voice in the country. As a result, they got a serious smackdown in November.
I hope he runs again. I voted for his last time and I would vote for him again in a heartbeat. He said he won't make a decision until sometime next year. People probly won't start throwing their names in the hat until Febuary or March. I think he has a better chance than he did in the last election. People have really started to wake up. I can tell you this much..the day he announced I will be signing up to volunteer on his campaign.
This will be my first presidential election (2012) And I would by far rather vote Ron Paul than Sarah Palin. I think it will be interesting to see who ends up running (on both sides) this year.
@Qaeyious (2362)
I've been calling them "Repubocrats" for years. I was very sad he didn't join the Libertarian party and run through them. I wrote his name on the ballot anyway for 2008. And if he is still against the Federal Reserve and Wall Street gaming with our economy, and against wasting money in occupying bases all over the world, I'll do it again if no party will have him.
@anniepa (27236)
I agree with those who have posted the GOP wouldn't dream of nominating Ron Paul. He's not a war-monger or chicken-hawk like most of the Republican establishment. That having been said, I think most everyone here knows where I stand, and it really has nothing to do with the letter next to anyone's name, it's about where I stand and where they stand on the issues I care about the most. Anyway, if we had to have a Republican in the White House, I'd certain rather it be Ron Paul than any of the rest of the current crew they have. I DO have one problem with Ron Paul...RAND Paul. I just have to wonder if there aren't some things we don't know about the father that are similar to the son; you know that saying about the apple not falling fall from the tree? Annie
Parents and kids disagree on politics all the time. My mom is a liberal. I am a libertarian. My dad is an independent (he independently thinks both sides suck LOL). My sister is a big time republican party creature. People have asked Ron and Rand about the things they differ on and they have said they have "agreed to disagree" on somethings. Rand is not bad. I know you don't like his stance of "free enterprise". But actually it is not a free for all for corporations. He wants the american consumer to step up and take responsibility for it instead of government. He wants the average american to know about the companies they are buying products from. Than police those companies with their own dollars. Meaning buying from companies they like...don't buy from the companies they don't. That would police the market without government involvement. It puts control in the hands of the average citizen instead of the government. That is his own primis of what he believes...more power in the hands of the average citizens..less in the government. It is a lot harder to "buy off" the general population with lobbyists than it is to buy off our elected officials. So you would have less corruption. Don't like a companies business practices or products...don't buy from them. They either change how they operate or their products to stay viable...or go out of business. No bail outs. I don't see what is so horrible about that. But I can see how some people would not like that. They would not want to take the time to learn about the practices of the companies they buy from. They want the government to do it for them. The corporations like it that way too. Makes it much easier for them to get away with stupid BS.
@anniepa (27236)
I'm sorry, but government regulations are sometimes necessary to protect people. Of course, we need to pick and choose what companies to buy from and what products to use and buy but the average person can't always learn about what kinds of practices the various companies use. I really don't like the guy at all. He's not opposed to business owners being allowed to discriminate against people due to race, he didn't believe BP should be "vilified" and he doesn't seem to care one bit about the safety of workers such as the miners in his own state. It seems to me that business owners are the only ones he cares about. It's sure not the average working person or family. Annie
@anniepa (27236)
Considering all the safety violations some mining companies have been caught with over and over again, I sure wouldn't count them as owners who care about their workers, would you? I'm not for over-regulating anything but reasonable oversight and regulation is necessary to protect the innocent. To Rand Paul apparently anything goes. Annie
@bestboy19 (5482)
I thought Ron Paul was a libertarian. If they can ever get their act together, maybe they should run him.
@dark_joev (3043)
He is a "libertarian" Republican. He has been against a lot of the Republicans stances on tons of issues but is known for being against the Federal Reserve which who could be for that thing to begin with.
Parated--- I personally think that is a good thing. We NEED more transparency in the Federal Reserve and I don't know anyone who would have a better shot at doing it.
@dark_joev (3043)
I can't wait tell he heads it and I hope he gives them you know what too. I personally am agianst the Federal Reserve and am for going back to a Gold Standard or even the same system as the Federal Reserve has but actually making it. I don't know an actual part of the Federal Government. I think our Federal Government should be encharge of our actual currency in stead of an private corporation. We need to get rid of this waste of (Was going to put money, realized though they print the fake money to begin with). I mean really they took us off the path. One of the very reasons we fought the British is because they wanted us to use their Central Bank. The founders weren't for the Idea. We need to go back to a Gold or some other Mineral Standard as that way our money will actually have a value that the Central Banks of other countries don't and cant have as their money is basically nothing more than paper. It would also give our nation an advantage as the money would have a real life value which would be the value of the mineral that it is being backed by. I hope to see some fireworks between the two (Chairman of the FedReserve and Paul)
@K46620 (1996)
Paul is really the only major candidate that has any credibility. The others all talk about the constitution and less government but pretty much never deliver...
@laglen (19782)
I would love to be able to vote for Paul again. I think our country needs this kind of common sense leadership.