If you know people are gossiping about your friend, will you tell him or her?

To be honest, I really do not know what to say about this. I have a friend whom I know is being talked about by my co-workers at work because she has this somewhat irritating personality. Well, perhaps it's not her personality... but she is always so grumpy and mutters negative things about her performance or many other things. She is so pessimistic that everyone around her gets irritated. Anyway, my co-workers make fun of her and talk about her behind her back. They even imitate her mannerisms and her accent. It feels really awful, knowing that she does not know that she is being talked about behind her back. Let me just tell you what I did. I did not tell her that my co-workers were talking about her. I just advised her to be cheery once in a while and not to be grumpy all the time. She just cocked an eyebrow at me and asked if there's something wrong with her. I told her that I wanted her to be happy because seeing her happy would make me happy. She just smiled at me and said, "Thank you." But that did not work because she still remained pessimistic about life and stuff. I advised her again to be more optimistic about life because it would only pull her down if she would remain negative. She did not loosen up. I finally told her that people around her get irritated because of her attitude and that she should smile often to make people smile at her. That actually alarmed her, and she burst out crying. It made me feel horrible. Did I do something wrong?