Same Old Shops

Pixabay photo
By Jabo
United Kingdom
Have you noticed that nowadays shops are practically the same whatever town you're in? They all seem to be branches of the same big chains, at least that's my experience in England. Where are the little family-run stores? I'm not really one for shopping , but checking out the shops used to be part of the fun when visiting a new town. Not any more, most town centres are boringly similar. There's hardly any individuality now. And I don't believe it's just in England either. I remember going to Dubai some years ago, and even there they had western style shopping malls with recognisable big name stores. What's it like where you are?
@Asylum (48288)
• Manchester, England
Obviously it is the same here in the North. This is the major downside to having superstores and shopping centres.
Yes, I suppose it's the price we pay for getting goods a little bit cheaper.
@Asylum (48288)
• Manchester, England
@jaboUK Exactly, small businesses cannot compete with those prices.
@Platespinner (16586)
There are some small unique shops around, but most shopping areas are packed with the well-known name big box stores.
I thought it would probably be the same in America. One town centre is just like dozens of others.
• Eugene, Oregon
Here in Eugene and especially in Portland, there are neighborhoods with many independent, individually owned stores and really a lot of local restaurants as well. There are malls too, but they are no fun.
You are lucky to have those sort of shops near you - we occasionally find them in the suburbs or villages. It was different when we were young, wasn't it? All the shopkeepers knew us by our names.
In both my towns, lol, we have many little privately owned shops and boutiques. Of course, we have the big name shops, too.
I expect the sort of shops that you are referring to are expensive Dianne. The big name shops are more affordable, but have no character.
@jaboUK I wasn't referring to shops like Chanel or Gucci. These are just little mom and pop shops locally owned and run. lol
@DianneN Oh right.
Yes, it seems to be that way all over, there are only a few unique shops here and there.
I think you are right. What country are you from?
@jaboUK United States
@MikesAngel317 Thanks - I do like to know where people are from, and you don't have that on your profile.
@nela13 (3894)
• Portugal
It is the same here in Portugal.
That's interesting, I suppose it's the same in most civilised countries.
@nela13 (3894)
• Portugal
@jaboUK Yes, I think It is
We do like to visit malls still, but yes - for shopping itself, it's the same stores with the same merchandise - that part is not so interesting. Here, they seem to be trying to design/redesign these shopping areas so they are more inviting - for the sake of the shopping "experience" . . . I can appreciate that part, but for the stores themselves - eh. A lot of the local charming mom and pop shops here have disappeared, but luckily there are certain areas where they can still thrive (although I don't know how well they are actually doing).
I can appreciate that the little family shops would find it difficult to compete with the big shops pricewise, but it does seem to be a pity. Here you can occasionally find them in outlying areas, but not in the town centres.
@jaboUK The little family shops have a charm about them - and often the shopping experience is personal with the family members and employees that run it. There is a used book shop locally (thankfully still in existence) and there is no matching their wonderful customer service. The big commercial book stores could care less - they don't say hi or anything for the most part until you are in front of the cashier to pay. And sadly, that seems to be everywhere.
@much2say That sounds like a lovely book shop.
I cannot tell you about anywhere else but I do not understand why people open shoe and clothes stores close by. Don't they think about the competition. I believe most shops have different things to off in their stores but there are some that have the same things. Maybe the prices are the difference if they have the same things. I do not know.
I don't think the smaller businesses can compete with the larger chains.
@jaboUK Jabo, it is very hard if you are a small business person because to the big chains you are just a little person.
Here it's like in that picture, at first I thought you had taken it and wanted to ask when you were in El Paso but then I saw it was from Pixabay, that's what Cielo Vista Mall looks like ..... well, it did the last time I went there which was a couple of years ago.
I expect you're like me - not into shopping that much. We don't have so many 'malls' as such, just a whole lot of shops clustered in the town centre.
Pretty much @jaboUK if I find a store that carries what I like then I might visit them a couple times a year but since I've retired I've had no interest in actually shopping for things like clothes or shoes. Malls are definitely not on my list of places to go.
@silvermist (18306)
Have to agree with you.Here too this trend has begun to take over.But for the time being some family/individual owned shops are here.How long they can last,I have no idea.There is so much competition.
It's hard for the smaller businesses to compete with the big shops - they are gradually disappearing.
@silvermist (18306)
@jaboUK True.It is a bit sad too.
@Butchcass4 (6027)
I'm not one to go out and shop shops. I go to Walmart and Dollar General and Tops grocery market, that's the extent of my shopping. Boring I know but I just don't have the money to just go shopping! But I have noticed some of the businesses that are family owned have closed down where we are. We have a Thrift store and a clothing center that I go to occasionally which is nice for people who don't have the money to pay high prices for clothing.
I only really do grocery and household goods shopping - I don't enjoy it but it has to be done. The charity and thrift stores seem to be well patronised.
@jaboUK I hear ya! I don't care to go shopping but I'm so thankful to the Lord that we have the money to get some groceries and things we need.
We have a few small stores that dot our main street. One in particular sells unique toys and craft items. I don't shop there often, but plan to when I am looking for a gift for Little Miss for her birthday. I did get a Melissa and Doug cleaning set for her for Christmas that was 30% off. It was a good buy. People should shop the local small businesses and they would be quite surprised at what they find. I am tired of the big box stores and malls. Haven't been to a mall in a couple of years.
I'm glad that you have access to some local stores. We don't have so many mall-type places as America, but our town centres are usually taken up by the big chains.
@jaboUK we have 2 chain stores in our town. One is Walmart, the other Kmart. Kmart may soon be a thing of the past though. There are other stores that are in the plazas that are chain stores such as JC Penney and Staples. I try to shop the small businesses first and hope to find a good bargain.
@ridingbet (43946)
i think the smaller shops, family-owned here in my city are lesser now. a super mall was recently open, and another bigger one will open on May.
So you have two new malls - as you say, they must push the smaller businesses out.
@ridingbet (43946)
@jaboUK yes, definitely. so, the smaller malls here sell products from Asian countries like Korea, China, Bangladesh, etc.
@fei1125 (603)
• Chengde, China
Now market is governed by the Large Chain Store
That's true in China too?
@fei1125 (603)
• Chengde, China
@jaboUK Yes, every place is nearly the same.
@Inlemay (16463)
• South Africa
I absolutely HATE shopping Malls - they have killed the shopping atmosphere of walking down little streets looking for just the right place. It is the absolute fashion in SA and I don't do shopping much anymore because it's mundane. I loved being in France and Brussels where every little street has privately owned lace shops, eateries, not to mention in Italy where even homemade shoe shops are still found. Even my hubby agreed that he loved the street strolling shopping rather than Malls.
You feel exactly the same as me Lany. We don't have many malls as such, (though more are being built), but our town centres are so boring now.
It's not bad in Germany, either. There are still many privately owned shops.
@louievill (17708)
It's the same in the Philippines, SM Mall is the dominant mall with more than 50 branches nationwide, there is one in almost every major town or city and they all look identical.
Yes, it just makes the shopping centres so faceless - no character to them.
@louievill (17708)
@jaboUK exactly, the only semblance of the old shops is when a mall tenant decorates his shop the traditional way, but even then they are big players to afford the high rent, small traditional family shops are being pushed further away to the rural areas.
Wide variety around here if you're rich lol.
Really? But for the ordinary people like us there's not the small personal stores.
@jaboUK No there still is. But I can't even afford those much.
@ilocosboy (34345)
Yes I'm so much agree with you. In my country SM mall and Robinsons are all over the country and the franchises of fastfood chain like McDonalds, Jollibee, Greenwich, Max's among others. Even cakes and pastry store are the same.
That's interesting that it's the same for you in the Philippines. I've travelled to quite a few parts of the world and you can guarantee that there will always be a McDonalds.
@ilocosboy (34345)
McDonalds are everywhere in my country
I hear you on this. I prefer buying from smaller local chains to support local business but it's hard to even know what's owned by who.
You're right - it can be hard to know who owns what.
@Morleyhunt (19169)
I have noticed this...more and more....and all the stores are laid out almost the same way. It does make it easier to find....but really? I like some variety.
As you say - the stores are even laid out identically - boring.